Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
She is 7 weeks. No they don't need any extra care. Just need to be kept inside for obvious reasons and they eat a lot more than usual guinea pigs but other than that no different.
This is mad mares daughter. Nothing I say is of her - its all my oppinion and cavies are the one animal I dedicate my time to and research about
`
Anyway thats correct only to an extent - skinny pigs are MUCH more work than the average pig and if you brought her from a decent breeder I hope she mentioned that they may need to have creams put onto the skin now and then - how often depends on the individual pig, and as to what type I would join and ask on 'Guinea Lynx' forum as they have many knowledable people on these pigs. They also shouldnt really be bedded on woodshavings due to their skin easily becoming irritated and drying out quicker than usual (woodshavings tend to dry out most pigs skin but obvs with the skinny pig this is more obvious and can be more severe).

They also need to have high factor cavy safe sunblock on if they are to go outside at all. Its also extra important to keep skinnies hydrated at all times, although fresh water every day is important to hairy cavies - its vital to skinnies.

*goes on to read the rest of the thread*
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Thats as maybe, but guinea pigs like to graze on fresh grass (I kept them for years as a youngster and I know from bald lawns at our house). They are also normally outside animals and should be able to adapt to variable temperatures. S.America, Peru and The Andes get very cold as well as hot.
Guinea pigs arent outdoor animals really. All breeds are really best suited to indoors unfortunatly old out of date books suggest they are hardy animals but the truth is they arent really and despite their ancestors being able to survive in more extreme weather conditions (although they life expectancy in the wild is very low compared to the average life span of an indoor pig) really the range of tempretures to keep a guinea pig in ideally is not that large, a change in tempreture can see a pig catching a URI or overheating very quickly. As controversial as this oppinion may be, pigs who are kept indoors do tend to outlive those outdoors - although there are exceptions to the rules of course! And that must be for a reason.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
They are safe for people with allergies, as far as I am aware...
There are two different breeds of hairless pigs - skinnies and baldwins, due to skinnies still having some fur they are not suitable for people with allergies as they can still set off esp with bad allergies but baldwins (pretty much non existant in the UK though...) have no fur at all so IF you was allergic to a cavies hair rather than their actual skin then they would be a better choice.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do you REALLY think because GP are not native to this country they couldnt survive? seriously? What about Muntjac Deer? American Mink? Grey Squirrels?

The picture you put up shows a pathetic creature "engineered" for human satisfaction and experimentation. Whilst you may think its "cute" and acceptable, please remember many do not.
Whilst I do tend to disagree with people going out and buying skinny pigs due to their high amount of care they take and how breeders tend to tell people how easy they are to look after (completley untrue...they are actually very time consuming if looked after right) I think the OP is willing to dedicate her time researching and really giving this skinny a good home, so despite my oppinion on whether these animals should be bred or not I dont think its really helpful to be rude about the animal who didnt ask to be born.

And yes I REALLY think that because they are not native to this country they could not survive our elements...but throw a domesticated UK guinea pig into Peru and they could well overheat. Given the fact if a guinea pig is put on damp grass they can get severley ill whilst a grey squirrel (which is a cousin to an animal that IS suppose to live here) can happily be rained on and be fine says alot and how the comparrison of these different animals is unfair.

Again, mad mares daughter - all my oppinion.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post

Those noises aren't so little when they live in your bedroom Thank you, I love hairy and bald!!
I know what you mean - mine are in my bedroom also!
Anyway you sound like a brillant owner who is willing to spend the time it takes to look after such a high maintenance cavy and I personally think he is gorgeous and cant wait to see more pics. One question though; he is being kept with your other pigs or has company ? I'm pretty sure from reading your posts you would make sure of this but my over bearing protectiveness I have of cavies makes me need to ask never the less
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:57 PM
From Madmare's quote
Guinea pigs arent outdoor animals really. not since they have been domesticated. All breeds are really best suited to indoorsthey still need an outdoor run, so they can graze, though surely unfortunatly old out of date books suggest they are hardy animals but the truth is they arent really and despite their ancestors being able to survive in more extreme weather conditions (although they life expectancy in the wild is very low compared to the average life span of an indoor pigas with many animals which have been domesticated over the years) really the range of tempretures to keep a guinea pig in ideally is not that large, a change in tempreture can see a pig catching a URI or overheating very quickly.agreed and this must be especially true with a "skinny" one, but I still maintain they should be able to be outside when the weather is suitable. I believe it must healthy for them if they have the right enclosure with protection from the elements As controversial as this oppinion may be, pigs who are kept indoors do tend to outlive those outdoors - although there are exceptions to the rules of course! And that must be for a reason. Yes they are being maintained in a totally proteccted environment
I don't think I am old fashioned and read from outdated books. Surely it is ideal for them to have the best of both worlds - i.e. be able to be outside and inside as the weather conditions permit
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
From Madmare's quote
Guinea pigs arent outdoor animals really. not since they have been domesticated. All breeds are really best suited to indoorsthey still need an outdoor run, so they can graze, though surely unfortunatly old out of date books suggest they are hardy animals but the truth is they arent really and despite their ancestors being able to survive in more extreme weather conditions (although they life expectancy in the wild is very low compared to the average life span of an indoor pigas with many animals which have been domesticated over the years) really the range of tempretures to keep a guinea pig in ideally is not that large, a change in tempreture can see a pig catching a URI or overheating very quickly.agreed and this must be especially true with a "skinny" one, but I still maintain they should be able to be outside when the weather is suitable. I believe it must healthy for them if they have the right enclosure with protection from the elements As controversial as this oppinion may be, pigs who are kept indoors do tend to outlive those outdoors - although there are exceptions to the rules of course! And that must be for a reason. Yes they are being maintained in a totally proteccted environment
I don't think I am old fashioned and read from outdated books. Surely it is ideal for them to have the best of both worlds - i.e. be able to be outside and inside as the weather conditions permit
This is madmares daughter - finally my laptop is letting me on aha.

Yes mine have a run for particularry nice days to have a graze - thats fine, I'm just talking about being out in all weather etc is not good ideal IMO. Re - skinny pigs they need sun cream etc too and definitely in the shade on warm days but careful of no chills etc.

It is true to most animals that have been domesticated although even with a domesticated pig v domesticated pig majority of them time the life span of those that live indoors is longer than those outside. I think the average was something like 4-6 years in outdoors, and 8-10 in indoors but of course -exceptions to the rule can occur. By 'that must be for a reason' I meant that the life expectancy is lowered in outdoor pigs (all year round) and there must be a reason i.e. pigs arent suited for it.

I agree that if pigs are to be kept outdoors at all it should be through summer months and definitely only when weather permits i.e. not in winter and in shade in summer.
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Ive never seen a naked piggy before and am now totally in love, its gorgeous

i cant wait to see more pictures
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Well I like her she is a beauty

xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I know what you mean - mine are in my bedroom also!
Anyway you sound like a brillant owner who is willing to spend the time it takes to look after such a high maintenance cavy and I personally think he is gorgeous and cant wait to see more pics. One question though; he is being kept with your other pigs or has company ? I'm pretty sure from reading your posts you would make sure of this but my over bearing protectiveness I have of cavies makes me need to ask never the less
Hiya, sorry have been on my hols and only just seen your replies! Yes she was from a reputable breeder and from good lines. I visited twice before we had her and met all the piggies. I have had guinea pigs since I was 11, so many years usually I have rescues, she is the first I have had from a breeder. I have researched her thoroughly and her high maintenance ways She lives with a hairy friend. An abysynian little girly called Eclipse who is a couple of weeks younger than her so she is not lonely. I have just bought them a new indoor run for extra exercise. The breeder gave me a list of any creams she may need and what to look out for with skin problems and I have to say the warning about her wanting lots more food was very true, she really is greedy and shouts much louder than any hairy piggy I have ever known I am on the The guinea pig forum and a forum for skinny pigs too Thanks for your interest in her
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >