Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
She is 7 weeks. No they don't need any extra care. Just need to be kept inside for obvious reasons and they eat a lot more than usual guinea pigs but other than that no different.
Thanks Alwin xxx It is nice to know we can have a difference of opinion and it is respected, on both sides xxx

I was just about to ask about whether she will need to be kept indoors, but I see you have answered it. Enjoy your new baby xxxxxxx
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Lunar! *waves* I'm a great granny (In piggy terms)

How is she settling in? She looks lovely! Nice and plump
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 07:04 AM
She so cute! I've never seen anything like her before, but she's lovely!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
The origins of the skinny pig come from lab guinea pigs.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/guine...skinnypigs.htm
Poor things, used for experimentation, then pet breeders taking advantage of laboratory experiments to breed more. How awful.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Actually a lot of that information is false. Charles Rivers Labs first witnessed the birth of the Skinny pig whilst experimenting with certain genetics on normal guinea pigs. There is a further mutation called the Baldwin, if you email Charles Rivers Labs in Canada they will give you the full history of them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Poor things, used for experimentation, then pet breeders taking advantage of laboratory experiments to breed more. How awful.
I agree

Not a rodent fan of any kind,(cant be near them) and a bald one NO!!

aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm shocked
This is just another example of how man has cruelly manipulated other creatures for his own amusement and experimentation.
- Could this poor creature survive in the environment it was intended to live in. I think not. Man's inhumanity never ceases to sicken me. What is wrong with a normal guinea pig with hair? - do we have to breed the bizzare and vulnerable for our own entertainment
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:51 AM
THe same could be said for a lot of breeds of animals, you can't get long haired pigs in the wild either, and they certainly would not survive the heat of south america!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree

Not a rodent fan of any kind,(cant be near them) and a bald one NO!!

Entitled to your opinions which I respect but don't agree with. Jackbox sounds like you wouldn't like her with or without hair!!

She is settling in fine thank you Dachshund, very confident little girl and loving her grub!!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I'm shocked
This is just another example of how man has cruelly manipulated other creatures for his own amusement and experimentation.
- Could this poor creature survive in the environment it was intended to live in. I think not. Man's inhumanity never ceases to sicken me. What is wrong with a normal guinea pig with hair? - do we have to breed the bizzare and vulnerable for our own entertainment
Could any domestic pet guinea pig survive in the wild, nope I think not. They are not native to this country! There is nothing wrong with a piggy with hair, I have many of those too. She is not a poor creature she is a much loved pet given the same attention and care as the rest of my animals. I appreciate she is not to everyone's taste and that many of you will never be able to see her beauty but she is from responsibly bred lines that are happy and healthy not some poor accident I have just created in my science lab
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »