Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alfie11
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2009, 01:21 PM

My dog bit another dog ,totally shocked what to do

well ive have an 6 year old german shorthaired pointer called Alfie
we have 30-40min bike rides of a night on lead and he is out at the stables every morning for about 2 hours soemtimes longer.

there is another dog that lives there ,Sunny he is in his teens and a sheepdog also Abbie that is a bitch that goes down there every morning thats a sheepdog to like my dog.
and a caviler king charles (sp?) he is 9 he has heart problems and makes grunting noises sometimes called Jasper.

they have all known each other about 7 months know and have all got a long really well jasper only goes down 1 a weekend so not as often as the other dogs.

well today alfie was down (my dog) and jasper we was all standing around chatting (owners) and alfie was standing next to in between me and my friend (jaspers owner) and the jasper come plodding over to friend she bends down to stroke him then alfie starts to really sniff jasper quiet obssessivly and then just picks him up with scuff of neck swings him then drops him. i really shouted at him and told him off and put him back in the car wilst we checked jasper over as he had a little puncture wound.

He has NEVER done anything like this before am totally shocked and dont realy no what to do/say.

why would he have done it?
they have always been friendly even played at times.
what should i have done when he did it?

i wont be taking him down ther know when jasper is down there thats if she even wants to take him down there now.

i just feel terrible about it and again shocked to think he would do such a thing.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Is Jasper in particularly poor health? Only dogs can get very odd with dogs who have something wrong with them - it seems to stress them out sometimes. I had a GSD bitch who tried to kill a friend of hers when it developed a limp. Luckily we intervened fast and when the dog stopped limping they were friends again .
I would keep your dog on lead round Jasper, though.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
? Only dogs can get very odd with dogs who have something wrong with them - it seems to stress them out sometimes.
When my poor little Snorri-dog was recovering from his first-ever epileptic fit, his brother Kali tried to attack him. I got them separated (no actual dog-dog contact), and all was well thereafter. Snorri went on to have many more fits , but Kali never took it amiss again. Strange beasts

Snorri
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi,

If there doesn't seem to be any reason for the altercation between Alfie and Jasper then as advised eiterh keep Alfie on lead whilst Jasper is about (although that could build up resentment between the 2 if not handled properly) or would you consider not taking Alfie there whilst Jasper is there. I don't mean every single time. Just occasionally until things calm down between the 2 dogs.

Maybe you could reintroduce the 2 dogs slowly at a later date and they'll be good friends again.

Laura xx
alfie11
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:34 PM
thats interesting didnt really think about him picking up on his illness he is quiet ill looking almost has twitchy grunts every min or so, so maybe thats what it was but then he has done it since he has known him? but has lately been doing it more.

I will defently be keeping him away from jasper will keep him in the car or will put him on his lead when jasper goes down there as least he only comes down once a weekend sometimes dont.

just feel so gulilty it happened but really didnt expect it.

thanks guys
kelly