View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 12:02 PM

which breeds were used to create your breed?

i thought id put this in heated debates cos usually there is conflicting ideas.
Anyway, what breeds were originally used to create your breed and maybe what were added, if any, later on?

Made me think after the NI discussion about what breeds were used to create it, i would be interested to know what breeds were used to create other breeds as well.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm glad someone has had to sense to realise that all pedigree dogs had to start somewhere. Right from when the first wolf nicked a bone from primitive mans fireside we have selectively bred to develop breeds suitable for our needs - hunting, retrieving, guarding, herding, racing, carrying loads, companions etc. - we have meddled and manipulated the canine, sometimes to the point of creating animals that could never survive without our help. In fact, we have meddled with perfection!
I am particularly interested in the Northern Inuit, although I have other breeds, but to me, in the Northern Inuit, we are putting dogs back where they belong. So far as I am personally concerned I am trying to create a dog that mimics the conformation of its ancestor, the wolf. No breed created so far comes close to the effortless lope or stamina of the wolf. However, apart from looks we need an animal that is going to fit easily into our lifestyle and make suitable domestic pets, and with the Northern Inuit I think we have done just that.
It isn't so long ago that breeds such as the Border Collie and Jack Russell Terrier weren't recognised breeds. Another breed growing in popularity is the Leonberg - which began as a cross. There are so many, even my Shelties are a relatively recent development. Others are still being mixed and matched - the Labradoodle for one! The Guide Dogs for the blind cross Golden Retrievers with Labrador Retrievers as they make the best guide dogs. Whoever says we have enough breeds and we should stop crossing is going to be terribly disappointed. Man will forever strive to create the perfect dog, and as we all have different ideas of what we want from a dog we will never all agree on what that dog should be.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:44 PM
We'll nobody is quite sure about the Irish Terrier's background. For centuries a similar terrier was used in Ireland on the farms, but it was never officially called the Irish Terrier, so it is excepted that the IT probably decended from this dog. This terrier in itself is decended from the Ancient Black and Tan Terrier of Great Britain

Many historians of the breed believe that the likeness in coat and shape also indicates a relationship to the Wolfhound.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 04:38 PM
anyone know about labs?
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by katyb
anyone know about labs?
Yeh....I think they came from La La land originally
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by mand p
Originally Posted by katyb
anyone know about labs?
Yeh....I think they came from La La land originally
ooh explains a lot lol
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 08:28 PM
As far as any one knows mine were stright from the wolves, a primitave breed like many of the spitz.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Think there is a serious point here; there is a huge difference between developing a new breed by amending an existing one and crossing two or more different breeds and thinking that will produce a new breed.

We are in this day and age at a disadvantage, first because most the requirements of man, apart from those to boost his vanity, have been met by dogs already in existence and second, because when most of the present breeds were created those who were producing them not only had a very good and practical reason for doing so, apart from making money, they also had large kennels and staff, could have a large number of different bitches to use in their breeding programme, could see it through to 10 or more generations breeding true and were able to scrap the whole thing and start again if their plan did not work out.
staffysmum
Dogsey Junior

25-02-2005, 08:54 PM
staffys origanated from a brittish bull dog and a terrier (not sure which i cant remember but thats the staffys ansestors though
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2005, 11:27 PM
The Boxer came from the Bullenbeiser and an English bulldog (which did not look like the EB's of today).
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »