Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mark-1968
New Member!
Male 

15-12-2011, 09:43 PM

half sister and half brother question

Hello all, only asking this cos not sure if we are able to do this. i have just had a litter of 2male pups from my bitch, and was given a 16 week old bitch from my step daughter, the 16 week bitch parents are related to my bitch and her pups,

my bitch parents- rosey and murphy
my bitch mated with ziggy which produced 2 boys

the other bitch we have called bella

bella parents is rosey and ziggy

so if i were to keep one of the boys from my bitch could i mate bella and the pup ????? i'm new to this and reading the brother sister /bloodline thing i have got confused.. would appricate some advice... thanks Mark.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 10:17 PM
half siblings matings are permitted under KC rules, however you would have to ask yourself what would be the advantage and what could be the disadvantages of so doing.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 10:56 PM
If you were to go ahead with this mating you would need to know your dogs lines inside and out. Such close inbreeding can produce great results by doubling up on positive genes, but could produce disastrous results by doubling up on negative genes (eg carriers producing affected offspring).

Just to add, my knowledge of inbreeding is only limited so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, but even with my limited knowledge I would not go ahead with such a mating. The fact that you're even asking the question suggests to me you perhaps don't have the right knowledge base to undertake this mating safely.

Blimey, how many times can you use the word knowledge in one paragraph!
pam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2011, 01:08 AM
If you were to go ahead with this mating you would need to know your dogs lines inside and out as Such close inbreeding can produce great results by doubling up on positive genes, but could produce disastrous results by doubling up on negative genes (eg carriers producing affected offspring).

You would certainly need to know the dogs line inside out and back to front!I personally wouldnt do it although very knowledgable breeders will,but they will have had their lines donkeys yrs.Mark can you not go back to your breeders and ask them.most are only to willing to offer help and support and mentor you
mark-1968
New Member!
Male 

16-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks to all I dont intend to breed now, not knowing what i'm doing, just dont want my bitches pups to go really. my mrs said we have to sell the boys but because i love my bitch i thought it would be nice to keep one as they are beautiful. just me being weak....lol thanks again.
pam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Keep a boy and spay your bitch this way you keep one of your boys