View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Neighbours rubbish being thrown over my fence !

I'm starting to get really annoyed with next door and need to go over and complain but i hate confrontation,to make matters worse she is one of them that goes all 'high pitched and defensive ' when you tackle her

Think its the children that throw rubbish over and its only ever when the dogs are out which is alot at the moment as the back door is permanently open when im home.

In the last couple of weeks since ive had Bea i've found a mouldy old rib bone looked really old Stale bread regularly,a plastic toy bat so tiny she could have swallowed it drawing pins Random plastic objects and this morning it was toast and cake.

To make matters worse,I weeded out the front last week which is all lined slate with a few slabs and my pots,hers ajoins mine and its all overgrown grass & weeds,whenever she mows it which is very rarely all the seeds etc blow onto mine causing me to have to keep weeding mine.I did the whole lot,put it all into the brown bin and noticed when finished that where ive put a few bricks to seperate our gardens her weeds were growing through so i pulled them out and put them on her side of the bricks (we are talking a handful or two,not much) only to find them the next day dumped back in the middle of my garden.I had noticed her in-laws were right outside my kitchen window and wondered what they were doing,it's really annoyed me.I wasn't being petty putting them there it just saved me another trek to the brown bin,her garden is all weeds anyway and after all they are her blinkin weeds !!!
I know its not just me... the neighbour on the other side of them gets annoyed with her too,
Sorry rant over,I'm dreading going over there though
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 10:03 AM
If she's putting your dogs in danger then go over - politeness is key and if it keeps happening - maybe an extension on the fence would help?

I'm not sure if any services could help you though...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 10:38 AM
If it's often food that's being thrown over, maybe you could make an opportunity to speak to the kids, with the dogs sat calmly on-lead, and take treats with you that the kids can offer to the dogs and explain the importance of the dogs eating the right kind of thing - e.g. how stale bread could give the doggies a tummyache or that sugary foods like cakes will give the dogs poorly teeth and they'll need to see the doggy dentist (depending on age-range of the children and how much they understand). Sounds like they maybe want the entertainment of feeding the dogs and throwing toys over for them so rather than have the mum ban this, it might work better if the children actually learn why it's a bad idea and are taught to come and ask you if they can give the dogs a safe treat
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I personally would make a point of saying that if your dog gets injured by anything that has been thrown over, they will be paying the vet bills.

But also Karly's idea would be good!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm with kammi's original idea on this one - she doesn't sound like the type of woman (or her kids!) who would appreciate the softly softly approach imo! Once you've spoken to her and stuff still comes flying over the fence, then the council's your next step, the EH will deal with her by sending her a letter! Bladdy people Your little puppy could get harmed, would you want to be nice to them then coz I know I darn well wouldn't!!!

I have fag butts thrown over the fence by the neighbour's delightful friends he has round I've told them in no uncertain terms that if another fag butt comes flying over the fence, it'll be the last, and it's stopped now! They set light to one of my prized,. expensive Acer's in a pot which WAS growing well for 4 years, but now it's ruined coz the potting caught fire and the whole root burned out! Now if that had been Georgie lying there where he does, right next to this pot.......
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Just give them the facts of life:

1 It is discourteous at the very least, potentially dangerous at worst.
2 If this continues you will put your complaint in writing and copy the Environmental Health Department who can take action which may involve a fine.
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:03 PM
We had this problem with our neighbours. Their little girl would throw EVERYTHING over our fence, cheese slices were the biggest culprit. It went on right through one summer and we just kept clearing up and moaning to each other about it.

But then we got Lilly, and I refused to put up with it. I also hate confrontation so my OH did it. He spoke to the Dad of the family and was very polite. There was lots of "I know she's only little but...." and we stressed the health of the dog. We were very lucky as the Dad was furious with his daughter and made her apologise. It still happened now and then but we (at the Dad's request) put it all in a bag and handed it to him.

We also bought a load of cheap dog toys, so if she wantted to throw something for the dog it was something we had chosen.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2011, 12:09 PM
I currently have an empty house next door waiting to be developed but they had tenants upto about 6 months ago and the little brats were forever chucking stuff over the fence. I started off by chucking the balls back whenever I found them but it soon became clear it wasn't accidental and so I started putting everything in a bin bag to return when asked for, complete with peanut butter sandwiches etc but the last straw was when the little oike chucked a metal truck at my conservatory roof scaring the sh*t out of me, OH and the parrots. I yelled at them that I'd break their ******* necks if they dared to do it again, and mum responded with sorry it was an accident blah blah he's never done it before blah blah. My response was really what's this lot them and preceeded to empty a very large bin bag of toys and mouldy old food etc. over the fence. Greeted by OMG from her and to be honest they behaved from then on until they moved out.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2011, 12:13 PM
When we had this many years ago and the last thing that got thrown over when Michael was 18 months old was a broken botttle neck and he came sauntering up the garden with it I rang a local councillor. The councillor sorted it and they had to behave and accept it they were also in rent arrears and had to knuckle down and stop.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:41 PM
We also have this issue,we have half eaten sandwiches,shoes,balls,food wrappers etc but the worst was soiled baby wipes

We no longer throw any shoes or balls back and it's been a while since any food items have come over.

If I don't spot the balls or shoes before the dogs then they get chewed up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >