Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Find my pet's killer

A DISTRAUGHT teen was forced to watch on in horror as her sister's beloved pet was mauled to death by another dog.

The miniature white Maltese dog, named Lily, was killed instantly after she was grabbed by the animal's jaws and violently shaken

Julia Povah, 18, had been walking Lily in King George V playing fields on Thursday June 17 at around 3.15pm when the other dog ran towards them and attacked.

The dog, which has been described as similar to an Alsatian or German Shephard, then ran off with Lily hanging lifelessly in its mouth.

Now Julia's sister, Jenna, 19, desperately wants the police to catch the owner of the dog responsible and is appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

She told The Gazette that her sister did everything she could to try and rescue Lily.

Jenna said: "[Julia] caught up with [the dog] and was trying to pry open the dog's mouth to get it to let go, but the dog wouldn't loosen its grip and it was shaking [Lily] from side to side - it broke her neck and killed her instantly. Then the two men, in their mid 30s, came up drinking alcohol and told their dog to drop Lily and it did.

"My sister was yelling at them saying 'you've killed my dog' and they just said to her 'she'll be fine, there's nothing wrong with her' and then they left the park via the Broadloan exit near where the sports pavilion is."

Jenna has since been told that another dog was attacked in similar circumstances only last week.

She added: "I think it's a big coincidence for it to be two different people [and two different dogs].

"They're either training their dog to hunt using other people's dogs or they are just sick.

"This attack does seem like the first of many and it could only be a matter of time before a small child from the residential area nearby gets attacked."

The Maths student, who was given Lily for her 18th birthday, had been in Barcelona when the incident happened and only found out that her dog had been killed when she returned home on Thursday (June 24).

PC Greg Hamilton, of Renfrew police, said: "We are interested in speaking with anyone who was in the Renfrew High School area at the time who may have witnessed anything suspicious or who can help identity those responsible.

"While this type of incident is relatively rare, the terror and suffering this puppy and its owner was subjected to was shocking."

Scottish SPCA chief superintendent Mike Flynn added: "We are very sorry to hear of this terrible incident and our sympathies go to the owner of the puppy, who is no doubt devastated by what's happened.

"Incidents like this are often due to irresponsible dog ownership, where a dog is allowed or encouraged to behave in an out of control manner.

"Anyone who witnessed this attack or recognises the description of the dog or the owner should contact local police."

Anyone with information can contact Renfrew Police on 0141 532 6100 or information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/ro...y-pets-killer/
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh my god, that is so horrible. That poor girl who had to witness that.

I really hope they catch the owners and soon, it is totally unacceptable that they allow their dog off lead!

I unfortunately witnessed a similar thing 2 years ago, two pitbull types mauled an old womans yorkie. I took her and the dog to the vets, but the poor little thing had lost too much blood.
The owners were two teenagers who ran off laughing!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 02:30 PM
How awful, poor little dog and the poor girl. I really hope they catch the owners quickly.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 05:40 PM
horrible, but I hate how they always add in the comment of "next time it could be a child"
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Things like this makes me so scared to get my dogs especially when they're puppies, they're so many young lads around here with uncontrolable dogs i'm scared of walking them on parks and such.

Such a horrible thing to witness i couldn't imagine what i would do in that situation.

And the one about the yorkshire terrier and the two lads walking away laughing... god if someone did that when my OH was walking the dogs i couldn't imagine what would happen to the lads

I hate hearing things like this
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:14 PM
oh thats so sad poor pup, and poor girl...
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 01:48 AM
RIP little one; safe and happy at the bridge now.

It's disgusting that people allow their dogs to do such things. But why opne earth should the media make comments such as "similar to an Alsation or a German Shepherd" - well either it is or it isn't. The GSD is one of the most recognisable breeds in the world.
So now peopel will be afraid, evn moreso than usual, of GSDs out and about walking normally with their owners.

Also what annoys me is when people state things like "This attack does seem like the first of many and it could only be a matter of time before a small child from the residential area nearby gets attacked."

How can anyone say it's the first of many? It amy well be the last or only one. And why mention children when there weren't any in the attack?

It was absolutely horresndous for the dog and owner and they have my sympathy, but this is just scaremongering.

Also, it states things about the owner being there. Then it states she was in Barcelona. Or have I missed something?

Laura xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
For goodness sake!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I think it`s pretty obvious who the killer is. It`s the drunk with no conscience or morals. The breed of the weapon he used is immaterial.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
How truly awful and not something I would ever want to witness

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
horrible, but I hate how they always add in the comment of "next time it could be a child"
However I too feel this is very OTT and this sort of scaremongering is totally unnecessary