Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2005, 06:23 PM

exhausted dog?

for the last four days, Jack is being very poor. he is just lying around and doing nothing. he usually jumps around and is "very bouncy". but now, he sleeps till 10 o clock in the morning, then we go for a little morning walkies for about 20 minutes and then he goes to sleep again. he allways "helped" me working outside around the house, now he just lies in the gras and sleeps
he didn't even wanted to do his agility training, which he usually loves to do
but he eats normally.
i dont know if he is ill or something because on walkies he is ok, when i play with him, he is also ok.
his normal everyday walk is 1,5 -2 hours long and then some playing and obedience training. but now i dont walk him because he is so poorly. (we just go for a morning walk and we play)
is it possible, that this (walk is 1,5 -2 hours long) is too much for him and that he is chronically exhausted? eventough he is a dog (PRT) who needs a lot of "recreation" every day?
can you help me please? what do you think? is he just tired and needs some rest or is he ill?

i will be very gratefull for any answer. thank you
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2005, 06:30 PM
How old is he?
Any other symptoms, like drinking more? liking the heat and trying to keep warm? being a bit moody? coat changes? putting weight on?
Dawn.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear little jack is like this. It could possibly be that he is exhausted but if he is use to that sort of exercise i dont understand how it could be as its not like you have suddenly changed his daily exercise.Maybe he is just feeling a little under the weather, if he is feeling no better by tomoorow i would take him to the vets just for a check up and to put your mind at rest, as there nothing worse than having apoorly doggie, only if they could tell us whats up. sorry i couldnt be of any more help im sure someone else might of been through this, let us no how he is tomorrow zoe
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2005, 06:44 PM
he is 2 yrs old, and here is warm weather, so he is looking for a shade. maybe its because of the warmth, but so far he had no troubles with hot weather. he is not gaining nor loosing weight and his coat looks pretty much ok..... but yes, he is moody a bit.
if he will not be ok tommorow im taking him to the vets in wednesday.
thx zoe and bd
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2005, 07:08 PM
If the Vet finds nothing on initial inspection, may I suggest he has a thyroid test. Ask for a FULL panel, not just a T4 test. If he is hypothyroid it may well explain the lethargy and moodyness.
Dawn.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
thx very much will tell this to the vet!
and will report to you how it was
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Good luck! and should it be thyroid, don't worry, its easily controlled and very common in dogs, your fellow will be bouncing again in no time.
Dawn.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Would agree with Borderdawn about having a thyroid test done.

Abe was diagnosed with having a severly underactive thyroid which is what made him very lethargic,panting excessivly after a short walk,sitting then laying down during walk,sleeping a lot and steadily increasing weight.

He's been on 'Soloxine' tablets for just over 3 weeks and the difference is immense.He will now chase a ball on field,walks for quite some distance and looks much much better.Took him to vets last friday for blood samples to be taken as they need to know if the dosage is too much/not enough/just right and will get the results on thursday or friday.

His weight originally in january was 59kgs,so i immediately put him on a strict diet and managed to get it down to 56.2kgs after a few months.Strangely though,after his weigh in last friday-his weight has increased to 56.7kgs and am not sure what has caused this small increase even though he's much more active.A friend said muscle weighs more than fat and is probably bulking up with the increased excercise,but he's always been a big dog with a big frame anyway and i cannot see a difference.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Good adive from Dawn, reading your post Jack is obviuosly well exercised, does he get excited and playful when visitors come to the house? I ask this because a few weeks ago my own dog Glory whom I keep very fit, had symptoms similiar to those you describe, I had the normal weekly visitors plus my friend who bred B my bitch came up from London, Glory never halts when friends are in, and this is in my opinion what caused the lethargy, he had simply overdone it, playing tug, and constantly being in a hyper state, for far more hours than normal.