View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is Sissy a Hovawart?
Yes!!! 2 13.33%
No, I think she's something else. 5 33.33%
I really don't know!! 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
DallyLover98513
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2007, 06:40 AM

Hovawart comparison

Okay, so I had been searching for a title of what my dog was thinking she was a cross breed because I certainly didn't know anything that really was a pure type of dog that looked like her, and a very nice lady on here was kind enough to introduce me to Hovawart, some still aren't sure if they think she is or not, so I'll post a few pictures of her and a few of a dog already recognized as a real Hovawart.

okay so there is one that is already recognized.

And this is my Sissy. She's about 1 and a half.

Sissy at about 8 months

At about a year

A little over a year

So what do you think? Hovawart? I think so. But everyone has their own opinion, let me know.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 07:50 AM
need better pics of Sissy really!

A standing up one would be good!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Like rachelsetters says need better pics especially of her grown up and preferably standing in a show stance. To see her markings etc. clearly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 09:09 AM
No I dont personally, I think she is a crossbreed. LArger crossbreeds with GSD/Collie types in them, often look like this, i board loads on a regular basis, just love her for what she is, BEAUTIFUL!
Dawn.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

02-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I haven't a clue but she is so gorgeous! Cuddles to her
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Sissy is beautiful, I have never heard of that breed before, lovely dogs.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Can't really say. Don't know how poplular the Hovawart is over there as they are numerically low here so chances are it wouldn't be one or even one crossed.
To be honest you'll never really know and without papers and pedigree would never be able to claim she is one. As they're not a breed you come across every day, if you saw one on the street you'd think it was a crossbreed or the blonde ones retreiver crosses.
I would just love her for what she is as you will never be sure.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
No, I'd say not, she is more likely a cross between something like a gorden setter x lab. If that tan on your pic is its true colour then it is too dark for the hovie which should be gold. See the Kennel club standard:-

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/53

Kath
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
It's a hard one. As the tan is much lighter than the tan you'd find on a rotti or gorden setter.
Have a look on the Hovawart club website as there's lot's more pictures to compare with.
Could I suggest you take some more pictures, outside and standing and email them to the Hovawart club http://www.hovawart.org.uk/ who would be able to make a better assessment for you. It seems the gold on these dogs looks different in different lights so hard to tell.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I saw a Hovawart a couple of weeks ago at a fun show and at first Glance it could have passed for Flat Coat Retriever , it was self black, however on speaking to the owner I said "excuse my ignorance but is your dog a Flat coat or is it a Hovawart". He told me it was a Hovawart and he has it entered at SKC as the breeder is anxious for the breed to be shown and hopes to increase the popularity of the breed here in the UK. Not really relevant and perhaps I have gone off topic but thought I'd mention this.

Perhaps Sissy has some flat coat in her No matter what her mix or breed she is stunning..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >