Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Aloe vera juice - ok with antibiotics?

on the Hyperdrug site they are selling aloe vera juice , you add 1 or 2 teaspoons to your dogs food daily, i was thinking of getting some to put on petras food to help boost her immune system as she has mange again , shes on ceporex an antibiotic at the moment, do you think she would be ok on this with the antibiotic or should i see what the vet says?
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I would check out whether aloe juice is safe to give to dogs.My reason is that on lists of plants that ARE poisonous to dogs the aloe vera plant is often listed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Aloe Vera juice is safe to give to your dogs, I have been giving it to both of mine for a couple of yrs now, it will help with digestive problems condition of coat and general well being , I also take it myself.

www.foreverliving.co.uk

this is where i get mine from.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Plants Poisonous to Dogs
Listed below are links to the ASPCAź Animal Poison Control Center's information on some common garden and household plants that can be poisonous to your pet. This may not represent a complete list of all poisonous plants. Also, your pet may have a sensitivity or allergy to a plant that is not on the list, resulting in toxicity. Always contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet may have ingested a poisonous plant. If you don't find the information you're seeking listed below, click here for our additional sources of information, many including specific effects and plant photos from the various veterinary/horticultural schools.
Special Notice: Several recent reports of dogs having kidney failure after ingesting large amount of grapes or raisins has the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center investigating to determine the causative agents or disease processes. Click here for information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alphabetical listing of poisonous plants by common name

Poisonous Plants by Category
Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip
Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern
Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia
Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane
House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena
Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily
Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe "American", Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca
Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)

The reason I posted asking about the toxicity of aloe vera to dogs is if you go to the bottom of the above clip you will see that aloe vera is listed as a poisonous plant to dogs- just for info.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanx jackbox, will these aloe vera items help boost her immune system do you think to help with this mange ? also thanx to zetacharlie for your info, very interesting info.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:15 PM
A couple of years ago Hollie had a severe reaction to cheese, she suffered with bad colitis. Once she had recovered I was advised to put Aloe Vera juice in her water as it helps with digestive problems.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
Thanx jackbox, will these aloe vera items help boost her immune system do you think to help with this mange ? also thanx to zetacharlie for your info, very interesting info.
it may help it may not, but it wont do her any harm so worth a try.

the foreverliving gel is one of the best as itr is pure AV not like a lot of others that are not so pure
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanx jackie, will consider it i think.:smt002
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:32 PM
When my old Borzoi had her hysterectomy I was advised to put Aloe Vera juice in her drinking water as it promotes healing.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes lovezois , that was why i was going to try it for petra as the demodex has made her paws very red & swollen, it makes her keep trying to lick at them too , so have to cover her paws to stop her doing that. patra has demodex on her muzzle , inside her back leg also now. My vets going to speak with the previous vets that treated her b4 him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >