Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 12:09 PM

Adware virus thingy

About a week ago my pc got infected with some sort of adware virus thing that gave me hundreds of pop-ups and AVG kept saying I had a trojan ,it was very difficult to get rid of it as after I used spybot ,ad-aware and AVG it would just reinstall it from somwhere
I mannaged to download a removal tool from Symantec Security response website and that seemed to do the trick but now every time I start up the pc it comes up with a error saying it cannot load mywebsearch DLL so their is obviously somthing left from it on the pc and I dont know how to get rid of it
any easy to understand ideas to get rid of it anyone
thanks
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Isn't mywebsearch, all part of smileycentral? I think you're spyware blocker would pick that up and has probably deleted some of the files, but it's still trying to load when you start your pc up.

I'm sure Leo will be along soon, she'll know how to get rid of it, this is the only reason I don't use Smiley Central.

Take a look here: http://www.pchell.com/support/smileycentral.shtml this tells you all about the problems once Smiley Central has been installed.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Isn't mywebsearch, all part of smileycentral? I think you're spyware blocker would pick that up and has probably deleted some of the files, but it's still trying to load when you start your pc up.
You are right cc. mywebsearch is to do with smiley central, I have it and have never had a problem with it...Spy detectors will sometimes delete it without asking thinking it is bad. This must have happened when you were dealing with getting rid of your adware problem. Sounds like your pc is now searching for it at start up hense the error.

You now need to find all traces of mywebsearch and delete it fully to stop getting the message. Or if you actually used it, redownload it to make it complete again.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I got infected from a website ,it asked me to install active X I think and just filled up the pc with pop-up spam and stuff I usually dont bother on these websites but I didnt realise it would be so hard to get rid of
the pc was infected with a few different spam virus things mywebs-mywebsearch somthing like that was one of the progammes and I cant find where the traces of it are left
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I just use yahoo's anti spy.

But there are loads of other spywear removal tools.

mywebsearch is nothing to worry about mind...Have a look at the link cc gave though as that gives some ideas how to get rid.

And don't instal 'active x' unless you know what it is for and it is from a reputable website
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 06:06 AM
PurpleJackdaw it would of been spybot that did that to you cause it done it to mine. All it's done is take away the dll file which is the driver for myweb search nothing to worry about but if you want it back just redownload and reinstall my web search bar from smiley central.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks
the thing is I dont want it on the pc ,so how to I stop the pc trying to load the missing file ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw
Thanks
the thing is I dont want it on the pc ,so how to I stop the pc trying to load the missing file ?
You'll have to download and install my web search bar from smiley central then uninstall thats how i got ride of mine i tried to locate it on c: but no files nore was there any reference to free web or smiley central.
Now it don't come up went you start your pc
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Try downloading this http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ and run the scan it's free for 14 days and its really good. After 14 days you still have it but don't get the updates but it might help.