Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Wiping a computer completely.

Tomorrow my sister wants me to wipe her computer for her and take it back to factory settings because it's going back to the shop. Her husband got her a computer a few weeks ago and when she tried to do some updates the other day she found out that the copy of windows on the computer was actually an illegal copy As he had paid £380 for it (just the tower not the screen and keyboard or anything) she made him take it back the other day and demand his money back. The people at the shop weren't very pleased and had the cheek to say he knew what he was getting - which he didn't cos my brother in law hasnt a clue about computers at all Anyway they have agreed to give him £350 back for it. I think that £380 was a terrible price to pay for a computer with illegal windows on it so she has photos on it and wants them wiping off before it goes back.

So how do I take it back to factory settings - is it the same as it would be for my computer do you think.?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Same method Foxy!

There are so many pirated versions of Windows floating about on Ebay also-you really have to be careful what you buy nowaday.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 03:25 PM
My sister just bought a really decent computer from Dell with a 17" flat screen monitor.....all for £347 including operating system. Ordered on Sunday arrived on Thursday!

I nearly got caught on e-bay too, clicked the buy now option, THEN read his feed back......decided I would rather have one negative on my feedback, than a dodgy copy of XP, no where in the description did it say 'copy'
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
My sister just bought a really decent computer from Dell with a 17" flat screen monitor.....all for £347 including operating system. Ordered on Sunday arrived on Thursday!

I nearly got caught on e-bay too, clicked the buy now option, THEN read his feed back......decided I would rather have one negative on my feedback, than a dodgy copy of XP, no where in the description did it say 'copy'
No this was bought from a computer shop near to where my brother-in-law works thats what she couldnt understand, how a shop could get away with doing this.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Same method Foxy!

There are so many pirated versions of Windows floating about on Ebay also-you really have to be careful what you buy nowaday.

Thanks Steve - just hope it works tomorrow
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Happened to us from a shop as well. Sold us something that was used and sold as new. Happens unfortunately. Glad they're getting their money back though
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
The people at the shop weren't very pleased and had the cheek to say he knew what he was getting - which he didn't cos my brother in law hasnt a clue about computers at all Anyway they have agreed to give him £350 back for it. I think that £380 was a terrible price to pay for a computer with illegal windows on it so she has photos on it and wants them wiping off before it goes back.
You should also report them for piracy in order to stop other unsuspecting customers from getting caught out.

https://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/form/default.aspx

So how do I take it back to factory settings - is it the same as it would be for my computer do you think.?
Proper PC manufacturer's provide a 'recovery' disk which basically restores the hard disk back to factory settings - installing the operating system and device drivers in one go. Crooked 'Back street' PC manufacturers may not provide the same facility.

Software such as Eraser can help wipe the disk.

To erase your entire hard disk:
Eraser uses the 'Darik's Boot and Nuke' disk option to erase all your hard drives.
To use this option:
1. Place a floppy (or CD) in your a: drive.
2. Click on the Start button and then choose Programs->Eraser->Create Boot Nuke Disk.
3. Ensure 'Writing on Floppy' is ticked. Tick 'Formatting' if your floppy needs to be formatted.
4. Click OK. Result: Your Boot Nuke Disk has now been created.
5. Boot up your PC with the floppy still remaining in your a: drive.
Remember: If you wish to erase the Hard Disk of another PC, then bring this Floppy to the PC, insert it into the a: drive and Boot it up.
Result: All drives will now be erased (including the Operating System)
IMPORTANT: USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION
For a summary:
'Darik's Boot and Nuke' ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.'

Just tell the shop that you had to delete personal stuff off the hard drive, so you wiped it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by royv
You should also report them for piracy in order to stop other unsuspecting customers from getting caught out.

https://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/form/default.aspx

Proper PC manufacturer's provide a 'recovery' disk which basically restores the hard disk back to factory settings - installing the operating system and device drivers in one go. Crooked 'Back street' PC manufacturers may not provide the same facility.

Software such as Eraser can help wipe the disk.

Just tell the shop that you had to delete personal stuff off the hard drive, so you wiped it

Okay thanks Roy I know I can always get expert advice from you

I don't think she got a recovery disc with it - think it's like my computer where you have to press a key when it's starting up which is F11 on my computer.

Would I be able to copy that Eraser thing to a disc and then put it in her computer? It wouldn't take anything off which they put on would it?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Would I be able to copy that Eraser thing to a disc and then put it in her computer? It wouldn't take anything off which they put on would it?
It's a zip file which you install onto her PC. It has various options, one of which is to completely and securely wipe the entire disk. This is the best bet, as it will remove everything, including login details to web sites etc that she may have visited. It removes everything, including the operating system. You can always say that you erased everything, including evidence that it was a pirate copy of Windows XP - can't see them objecting to that .... {although best tell them only after you've got the money back}
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by royv
It's a zip file which you install onto her PC. It has various options, one of which is to completely and securely wipe the entire disk. This is the best bet, as it will remove everything, including login details to web sites etc that she may have visited. It removes everything, including the operating system. You can always say that you erased everything, including evidence that it was a pirate copy of Windows XP - can't see them objecting to that .... {although best tell them only after you've got the money back}

So would it erase the pirate windows as well then cos I think I had better leave that on because they might not take it back if it isn't given back in the condition it was sold in.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >