Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Just another little update on Roxy.

She had her stitches removed yesterday and the wound is looking good and healing well.

The head surgeon does believe that the scabbing is just superficial and that there is lovely new skin underneath. This has happened because of the skin flap being moved to a different area, as said previously.

They'd like to see her back next week to have another look at it, so hopefully the scab will have crusted up and be off by then as they are hoping. If not, after next week, she'll go back when the scab is off for them to have another look.

She's still holding her leg up most of the time when moving about, even after the removal of the stitches and they're concerned that if she continues to do that it could cause a problem in the joint and muscle wastage and the damage could possibly be long term.

So, in case she is in any pain at all and that's why she's not walking on it, they've given her a weeks worth of Rimadyl to see how she goes with that and we've also to massage the leg several times a day, which we have been doing anyway.

I've to give her the Rimadyl for 5 days and see how she gets on and if I feel she is still bothered with it, I've to continue with the other two days worth.

Back at the Vet School a week today.

She was a very good girl and loves the male staff particularly.

She used some of her pocket money and took them up a lovely card and some nice biscuits for looking after her so well and giving her lots of cuddles!

They said she's a lovely girl and a real character. That would be about right!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Sounds like she needs that leg massage and maybe try to get her out and force her to walk on it. If the medication keeps the pain away then exercise is good for her as non use of muscles eventually causes other problems. But I'm sure you're well aware of this and I know you're doing everything right for her. Keep it up
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Harvey. Once you give her a little reminder of using all 4 legs, she does try to use them all!

When she's eating she keeps it up, but if I move it down gently to touch the floor and gently press her back a little bit, she keeps all paws on the floor and does keep them there during her meal.

When out walking (two short walks per day, max 30 minutes each time and that's not rushing at all and with loads of sniffing too), the second she starts to hop, we give her a little leg massage and send her on her way and she's fine again. Little monkey! We also give her a treat too.

Basically, once we give her a little 'reminder' she will use that leg more. Odd, but true! That's how it has been working.

We are getting there though, slowly but surely.

Here she is with a bottle of shampoo she won in an online dog photo competition last week......I don't think she's that impressed with her prize, do you?

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I don't think she's that impressed with her prize, do you?
She's asking you why she has to pose with this silly bottle which doesn't even smell interesting
Nice picture 'tho.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Roxy was back at the Vet School on Wednesday of last week for them to look at what was under the scab as it came off on Monday. As hoped, it's lovely fresh skin underneath which is healing really well. Her leg is looking great and they are delighted with her, so that's her 'signed off' from them now!

Back at my own vets next week for them to have a final look at it and then that should be her, good to go!

The hair is growing in well too, which is good. I don't think she's as cold now!

Thank you to everyone, again, who has supported us through this and sent us positive vibes, they have obiously helped my Roxy.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Brilliant

Helen
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Thank you to everyone, again, who has supported us through this and sent us positive vibes, they have obiously helped my Roxy.
You are welcome Nicola, just happy that there has been a good outcome to this. Onwards and upwards from now on then
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Absolutely, Harvey!

She's been bouncing about like a mad thing and was a total reprobate at the park this afternoon, so nothing has changed in that respect!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Really glad she's doing well
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Hiya Nicola

Just been reading your updates. It's wonderful news that your little girl has been discharged from the vets hospital.

Your photo of her with the bottle of shampoo shows her scar healing really well.

It's lovely to hear of your brilliant news So glad that Roxy and you have got through the trauma and come out smiling the other side.

Well done to you both x
Page 20 of 22 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 >