View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 01:00 PM

How do you become a trainer or behaviourist?

as the title says, how do you do it?

are there certain qualifications you need? a certain register you go on? or can any one do it? just been thinking about it this afternoon and have no idea how the whole thing works.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 01:43 PM
The really sad thing is there are NO minimum qualifications so to be a trainer or behaviourist all you have to do is say you are one

There are lots of courses you can go on (which really vary in standards and how up to date they are)

I know the APDT's has a test (because I failed it ) and expect you to keep up to date with training methods and stuff
APBC's also have standards you have to reach
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 01:52 PM
It is a shame that there is no common route to becoming an animal beahviourist. The better ones generally have experience as well as high level qualifications. I would expect them to be degree educated in a behavioural science (or similar) to at least Honours level. I would only consider using a behaviourist who had both, unless the level of experience was huge and they were highly recommended.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Trainer first of all

Some of the best dog trainers I know have no letters after their name, they have not attended any courses but they have a wealth of SUCCESSFUL experience behind them evidenced by not only their individual prowess but that of their pupils.

So it always makes me laugh when people say "I would never go to anyone who did not have the relevant qualifications (would you refuse a lesson with Mary Ray?).

However that is not to say that qualifications have no value.

Neither are some "qualifications" worth the paper they are written on. Many are attained via correspondence and it is perfectly feasible to get all sorts of exams without EVER having owned or trained a dog to any degree at all!

The legal definition of competency is one who has the required skiils, knowledge, ability, training and experience to deliver training etc.

I could go on........

The gold standard IMHO now if you want to become a trainer is the KCAI scheme. It is very thorough, demanding and assessed over more than one session!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Behaviourist

This is not a protected term thus anyone can call themselves a behaviourist.

The gold standard is membership of the APBC who require not only theoretical knowledge to a high level eg BSc in a relevant animal related course but ALSO empirical knowledge as well.

But again, originally you could become a behaviourist without ever owning a dog or training it to a level; one of the reasons John Rogerson was a bit of a rebel!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:42 PM
so you dont need qualifications, but can get them? its something id like to look into in the future.

what about if you wanted to teach things like the good citizen awards?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Depends what you mean by "qualifications" for example there is no national benchmark which says if you have "x" this qualifies you to teach to "x level" etc, unlike say PTLLS, CTLLS, DTLLS for example or exams to become a Driving Instructor.

Again anyone can train owners in how to meet the criteria required by the KCGCDS.

Fortunately more and more EXAMINERS of this scheme have gone through the KC one day course in order to become competent and to achieve consistency across the scheme.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:51 PM
id really like to look into it a bit more. its something i could see myself doing. ive helped alot of people where i live with basic training of their dogs, just simple obedience really but its a start.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 02:57 PM
The KC do information days where you can go along and ask questions on the KCAI scheme.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3546

The APDT have an information page on how to become a dog trainer and have various courses and an assessment scheme.

BIPDT have training courses.

The GoDT also have details on membership, applicable courses etc.

Have you a particular focus?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The KC do information days where you can go along and ask questions on the KCAI scheme.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3546

The APDT have an information page on how to become a dog trainer and have various courses and an assessment scheme.

BIPDT have training courses.

The GoDT also have details on membership, applicable courses etc.

Have you a particular focus?
thinking of general obedience, and maybe obedience classes like the good citizens award. id love to help with problem dogs but dont know if i have the practical experience to deal with major behavioural issues.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >