View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 05:32 PM
They couldn't give me any extra help other than "push the dumb-bell into his mouth, then hold his mouth shut" and wondered why the dogs weren't 'getting it' and I wasn't happy...

This has nothing to do with whether they were training gundogs or not, it is poor training, period!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Most behaviourists will offer home visits

I really would suggest that when money allows, you find a good one (take your time doing that, as there are some terrible ones out there! APBC is probably best) and they should help you unravel what has happened and help you to sort it out.

It may not be possible totally improve your boy 100% but you will never know until you find some good help. I suspect he can certainly be helped a great deal, and I'm sure that will in turn enable you to enjoy him more

Sometimes very subtle things can happen if timing is wrong for example - even using food or what you do with the lead can become a sort of cue for barky and lunging behaviour. Or it may be something quite different, such as his getting confidence when he is with you.

Wys
x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I've had a look at the APBC website, but there is no-one near me that I could get to, or would come here - the nearest is a 3 hour drive away (and is vet-referral only, and would charge extra as I am out of his 'working area' )

I've been looking on the APDT website though, and have found several people who are fairly nearby, and list 'behaviour' as something they deal with (as opposed to good Citizen, Agility, Puppy, Clicker etc).

Would they be a good start?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Be careful, the APDT site is primarily a source of TRAINERS as opposed to behaviourists, where do you live perhaps I can recommend someone.

Are you anywhere near Cath Phillips or Lynda Edmondson?

The former is an excellent behaviourist and trainer, near Rochdale (google On track dog training) and the second is an excellent dog trainer (on APDT site in Lancs)

I can personally highly recommend both/either
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I've had a look at the APBC website, but there is no-one near me that I could get to, or would come here - the nearest is a 3 hour drive away (and is vet-referral only, and would charge extra as I am out of his 'working area' )
Is Preesal your correct location? The first behaviourist for Lancashire on the APBC website says visits "within an hour of Warrington" and Preesal comes up as an hour and 8 minutes from their postcode so may be worth contacting.
Also perhaps look under Cheshire to see if there's anyone local - the second result comes up as an hour and a half, or 77 miles away, and they do home visits within a 100 mile radius of Chester. There's a few on there without addresses that may be worth checking out to see if you fall within their area too.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Also West Yorkshire too - the second result, if you go on their website then they have clinics that the do behavioural assessments at but also do home visits. They have a clinic in Windermere, an hour and 3 minutes from Preesall according to Google, and one in Skipton an hour and 25 mins away
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, although a map might say it takes an hour to get to Warrington, it's never right! It takes us almost an hour to get to Preston, never mind Manchester

I saw the people who go to Windermere, again, another couple of hours drive from us.

It's mainly cos we're on little country roads until we can get to the M6/M55... nice to pootle round on a weekend, useless for actually getting anywhere....

However, Skipton might work for us, as long as they do weekend consults... will have more of an indepth look - thanks!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.lynfleet.com/

I don't know how possible Lynn would be for you Shelley, I can highly recommend her,she knows her stuff and tells it like it is She adores dogs and understands them. Why not contact her, she knows heaps of people and could perhaps reommend someone closer to you? Tell her I suggested you get in touch x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your help everyone...

I've contacted a few trainers, and whilst it will take me several months to save up the money to see them, I don't mind, as they are all so busy, so I couldn't get in with them for a while anyway.

What I am really surprised about is the amount of trainers who have turned me away, as they are so busy, they cannot even commit to seeing me in the next 6 months
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Shelley, have a word with Angela, she was so helpful with Teagan before I started training classes
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2