Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wonder collar
New Member!
Male 

31-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
So what are the benefits of using this collar over a regular collar? Surely you could explain those without us needing to come to Derbyshire?

This would be my preference if the situation allowed for it.
The benifits of a double collar is that you have more control over the dog with a second collar up behind the ears, you only have to look in the show ring to see the position the handlers use there collars.
The main difference of mine is that the second collar is a limited slip so it will not over tighten, unlike the other collars you all have been discussing.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by wonder collar View Post
The benifits of a double collar is that you have more control over the dog with a second collar up behind the ears, you only have to look in the show ring to see the position the handlers use there collars.
The main difference of mine is that the second collar is a limited slip so it will not over tighten, unlike the other collars you all have been discussing.
but i believe there is a collar available from you that DOES tighten all the way, or is it still in the design process?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:36 PM
There are a lot of nerve ending right under the ears, and collars in this area can cause problems; much like too tight/short head pieces and browbands in horses.

You will have a lot more control when a collar is in this area because it makes the dog very uncomfortable.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:52 PM
....you only have to look in the show ring to see the position the handlers use there collars.
While this is true, the dogs have the show collars tightened under there only when pacing for the judge. The rest of the time the collar is loosened or relaxed.

Also almost all of those dogs have been accustomed to that through ringcraft, etc. and most certainly do not wear collars of that kind or in that position at home.

Your collar however is designed to put constant pressure on that area for long periods of time, e.g. when out walking, so it really cannot be compared to a show collar, IMHO.

Apples and oranges, I'm afraid, and many people feel that even that 60 seconds when the show collar is tightened to that degree in the ring, is not in the dog's best interests.

You won't win much approval by comparing your invention to show collar, I'm afraid.
wonder collar
New Member!
Male 

31-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
but i believe there is a collar available from you that DOES tighten all the way, or is it still in the design process?
It is still at the design stage and not currently available, I am developing it for the profesional bodies that have requested it. I do not envisage it to be on sale to the general public and it will not replace the one already available.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:58 PM
It is still at the design stage and not currently available, I am developing it for the profesional bodies that have requested it. I do not envisage it to be on sale to the general public and it will not replace the one already available.
my personal opinion on this, as already stated, any DECENT trainer worth their salt will not train with a tool that causes pain or suffocation, and a noose at the top of the neck designed to tighten will do just that
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Professional bodies have requested it?

Hmmmmmm
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I have total control over my dogs without without a collar-it's called training !

The reason collars up under the ears control dogs is the pain they can inflict, the dogs isn't trained with this thing-it is controlled by the fear of the pain that can be inflicted-the same goes for the show dogs that are incorrectly handled strung up on tight chokers under the ears-a fashion adopted of the USA by handlers

You will not see a GSD being handled in this way in Germany-the dogs are all trained & at one stage in the show ring the dogs are gaited off-lead !

I notice that you"developed"this idea after competing in flyball. Sorry but as most of the flyball dogs I have seen can only be controlled by wearing a harness & the ball loader has to wear ear protectors-Nuff said. Sorry but flyball is IMHO one of the least skilled activity you can take part in with your dog. Way too many injuries to the dogs(which why they have to wear protection on their legs whilst taking part)
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I have total control over my dogs without without a collar-it's called training !

The reason collars up under the ears control dogs is the pain they can inflict, the dogs isn't trained with this thing-it is controlled by the fear of the pain that can be inflicted-the same goes for the show dogs that are incorrectly handled strung up on tight chokers under the ears-a fashion adopted of the USA by handlers

You will not see a GSD being handled in this way in Germany-the dogs are all trained & at one stage in the show ring the dogs are gaited off-lead !

I notice that you"developed"this idea after competing in flyball. Sorry but as most of the flyball dogs I have seen can only be controlled by wearing a harness & the ball loader has to wear ear protectors-Nuff said. Sorry but flyball is IMHO one of the least skilled activity you can take part in with your dog. Way too many injuries to the dogs(which why they have to wear protection on their legs whilst taking part)
as a Flyballer i take offence at those last comments
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
as a Flyballer i take offence at those last comments
So flyballing is 100% safe & quiet is it ???
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »