Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Another few titles for your reading list:
Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
Clicker Training for Dogs by Karen Pryor [plus a clicker and a heap of extra-tasty treats.... for the dog, not you! ].
Canine Body Language, a Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff (not cheap though!)

Another one which I am sure you will really appreciate - it's easy to read and I reckon just what you're looking for right now:
How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coren.

I'm sure you will manage fine, it's early days, and the start of a very enjoyable learning curve on your journey together.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Just wanted to say that i think you sound a perfect owner, you are obviously just wanting to get things right and it sounds to me like its all going really well. There is nothing wrong in asking and asking and asking again. We all knew nothing at one time.

When i took on kai, he was about 7 mths old and it took him months to settle down and get used to us, so 3 days is no time at all. Just try and be consistant and things sound like they will turn out fine. Relax and enjoy him
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh he's testing the water a bit tonight - just the odd bit of whimpering and scratching when we shut him in the kitchen while we ate our dinner... only very low level "I'll see if this works on 'em" but there (and boy does it make you feel guilty - even if it was only 20 minutes while we ate - didn't want him in there when we were distracted and not monitoring the mog-dog situation 100%)

NOT setting the pattern where we respond to the whimpering by letting him back in so he can do the doggy eyes at the table while we're eating thing - and please God don't let the cat teach him her "call the RSPCA poor hard done by animal" routine she's got mastered!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Have you considered crate-training him? It has a multitude of positive uses.

And.... baby stair gates were invented for mog-dog peace initiatives
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Sounds like you are doing great and great advice and reading material there so I wont add to it

I just wanted to say that it does take a while for you all to understand each other, you are learning about your new dog and what he is like - and he is learning about you

You make your rules (as it sounds like you are doing) be fair kind and consisant and he will learn quickly (and I understand about the hubby think - B makes random hand flappy gestures and my dogs just guess something to do and he rewards them men are rubbish)
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Came down to him having scratched a circle of paint out of the two layers of gloss on the kitchen door - not unduly concerned about the damage because I expected a few chewed corners getting a dog (and we'll refit the kitchen in a few months anyway), just really don't want him to get into the pattern where if we have him in the kitchen (which we have to do overnight and for odd times during the day to keep the dog and cat separate) he thinks it's ok to go ballistic, bark and trash the house.

Last night and the night before we ignored the scratching to get out (the first night we actually slept on the sofas so we could hear if he didn't settle or needed a midnight loo visit - soft souls that we are - but can't do that every night cos it killed my neck!)... not sure if a more proactive way is the way to go with it or if we ignore the scratching and never give in to going into him when he's doing it and it'll die a natural death as he stops pushing his luck? My instincts are telling me if we go down to tell him to knock it off it's a) not going to be instant enough for a "NO" to work by the time we've plodded downstairs and b) he's going to think scratching = people come back to see me - yay and it'll get worse.

Tried with the light on, tried with the light off, tried with the radio left on overnight - he doesn't seem actually upset - just wants to be in with the action I guess!

Already trying to minimise the time he spends shut in there - he's in the lounge on the lead (but left very loose just hooked over my wrist so if he goes -I can get him) most of the time (in case of a kitty lunge), but he's in there when he's eating (with not knowing his history I try to keep it calm and him relatively ignored when he's having a munch in case it ever triggers a snapping), when the cat's eating in the lounge, when we're eating (because the puppy eyes come out full force) and when we go to bed or out (which doesn't seem to bother him at all) so please don't think I'm locking him in the kitchen for hours on end because I'm not - once the cat issues iron themselves out (I'm a bit more cautious than many might be because the cat previously lost a leg in a former life to either a fox or dog bite - so I know that she's not as adept at climbing or jumping up if he DID go for her).
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Dizzi ~ you sound like you're going to be a fantastic dog owner & well done for taking on a rescue dog

I know exactly where you're coming from with cat/dog interactions ~ I'm a feline behaviourist in my spare time & I've done a lot of work on cat/dog problems, & do voluntary work with the Dogs Trust in Shoreham when dogs are being rehomed to a house with resident cats. It sounds like you're managing the situation very well & doing all the right things. I can understand why you're being a tad cautious, especially with a lurcher & with cats that are not used to dogs.

Are your cats coming into the same room as your dog? What reactions do you get from both the dog & cats when they see each other? Sometimes there's so much going on for the dog in it's new home that the presence of a cat is completely overshadowed, so it may take a while until they're all comfortable with each other. But the more positive experiences they can have together (i.e. dog ignores cats or only makes friendly overtures & vice versa) the better, & the quicker they'll get to accept each other.

I would highly recommend the books that have already been mentioned ~ it's well worth getting to know dog body language, but as you know, it's very different from feline body language!

A very wise lady once told me that with a rescue dog in a new home, you don't really need to do anything for a few days/weeks ~ just provide for all their basic needs, give calm, quiet attention/affection, & let the dog work out things for itself. Obviously any serious behavioural problems would need to be addressed but you don't seem to be having any Being consistent & predictable is one of the best things you can do ~ then the dog gets to know you & its routine. I can understand why your dog is not particularly happy being shut in the kitchen but I also appreciate why you need to do this. But bear in mind that dogs are very social creatures & in order to relax & sleep properly, & to feel safe & ssecure, they often need company (either human or canine usually). Many dogs will accept being alone at night & cope very well, but you may have a few teething problems for a while until your dog gets used to it.

Now if your hubby could do what you're doing too......

I look forward to hearing about your dog's progress. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum to give you help & support, so keep us updated & the very best of luck in giving this chap a lovely new home
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Are your cats coming into the same room as your dog? What reactions do you get from both the dog & cats when they see each other? Sometimes there's so much going on for the dog in it's new home that the presence of a cat is completely overshadowed, so it may take a while until they're all comfortable with each other.
So far we've gone from the cat climbing 7 feet in the air up the curtains (considering the rescue centre claimed she'd never be able to climb lacking a back leg that was quite an achievement... and unintentionally hilarious when she promptly slid back down and then flounced off with wounded pride - and it's hard to flounce effectively on three legs) through to the cat hiding behind the sofa as a hissing ball of wrath and this morning when I let the dog in we're up to him getting to within 3 feet of her (on the lead of course) without lunging but with a bit of a "oooh can I go see can I can I can I"... before asbo mog had had enough and hissed and flounced again.

The cat however could sulk for England anyway, and since she's not off her food and is as attention seeking as she always is - it's now at a stage of being pure theatrics on her part. Generally the dog's completely apathetic to her - until she hisses and draws attention to herself (stupid cat hasn't figured this one out yet) - then who can blame him for wanting to wander over to the source of the noise and have a look?! We've been doing lots of rewarding him when he's in the same room completely ignoring Madam Loo Brush Tail, and last night he was lying there completely oblivious to her but with the lead hooked over hubby's arm while we watched telly (he had a BONE... much more interesting!!!! - despite the cat thinking the universe revolves around her), while I had Sulkychops on my knee for a fuss on the other sofa - which is a move forward since previously the times he HAS lunged slightly have been when I've gone over to the cat, she's remembered she hasn't hissed at him for a few minutes and decided to be productive - and I think his brain's concluded "oh cat's hissing, must be hissing at the boss, must tell cat off - woof" which of course has driven the mog completely bonkers with righteous indignation.

Have been considering going the crate training route - just not sure about it yet (and it'll have to wait till after payday since buying the dog stuff, neutering fees - he loses his "assets" on Monday as we figured we'd let him get his paws under the table for a bit first, going through a few types of food till we found one that suited him and the rehoming fees mean our bank account's currently got a small canine-shaped crater in it!). Ideally if we could crate train him to sleep in one then we could have him in the bedroom in the crate, the cat in her usual spot wedged between the two humans shoving me out of bed and hopefully all would be right with the world... he is NOT sleeping on the bed (I said that point blank from the start) - with a cat that hogs three quarters of it, a 6 foot 7 husband there's already no room for me in it - not adding a farting dog to that equation or I'd be the one sleeping in the dog basket!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Well you're certainly making progress if your cat is now willing to sit on your lap with the dog in the same room, rather than climbing up the curtains

Just keep doing what you're doing, i.e. keeping everyone calm, distracted & as relaxed as possible. It's probably best not to let the dog & cat get too close at the mo as it sounds like the dog would get a scratched nose if he ventured too close! But gradually decreasing the distance, all the time the cat is reasonably comfortable is the way to go but stop short of "spitting/hissing" distance. The more instances when the cat discovers it can move around the house without being chased or attracting attention from the dog, the better.

From the cat's point of view, it's whole world has been turned upside down & there's a nasty predator in the house who's out to murder it at the first opportunity So "miss loo-brush tail" is probably very scared, desperately wanting life to continue as before, & is very mistrustful of the dog. Be patient & give her time to get used to the dog.

If you decide to get a crate & go down that route, then let us know & I'm sure people on here will help.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Incredibly impressed with mog-dog relations this afternoon - I ended up sat on the sofa, stroking the dog with one hand and the cat with the other (was a bit hard when I got an itchy nose as well though) and no lunging, no loo-brush tails from either quarter...

Fun was slightly spoilt when I found a penetrating damp patch that looks expensive behind the sofa though

Why does he never do these feats of canine perfection when the husband's home!? I know why - it's distractions around and a light dose of trying to play us off against each other!

Trying to work on the door scratching by putting him in the kitchen with the door slightly ajar and letting him see me wandering around the lounge and returning, then gradually dropping the door gap down... added side effect that it allows the cat to wander up for a mutual sniff session (without hissing, spitting, barking, biting, eye gouging or anything!) and the little superstar didn't even bat an eyelid or try to push the door open at all and it was only lightly blocked to with a chair he could have toppled very easily!

Soooooo impressed with the lil guy... well, large guy!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2