Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Puppy growling over things?

Okay - I have had the pup two weeks now - and in like 95% of ways he is so perfect. But there's just a few issues.

If he has something he doesn't want to let go of - he doesn't.
He is not getting possessive over certain things - it is anything he feels like at the time.
It doesn't even happen every day - but he clamps down, and pulls.
Can be a random object at a random time when hes in a "trouble making mood"

So far I have found the best way of doing it is saying "leave it" (which he knows - just depends if he listens ) and getting a small piece of chicken etc and that can work, but is this the best way or is there a different way?

I don't pull back or play tug with him.

The other thing, is he occasionally barks/snaps at people.
It not like a full on aggressive snap, more just like to go with the bit of a growl/bark (mostly bark).

He does it like if I have stopped him going somewhere he isn't allowed and try to lift him, he goes down (a bit like a play bow) and barks (slightly shakes his head). Is this just playing?

Whenever he has caught me, it hasn't been that hard - but is that down to size?

If that doesn't make sense - let me know
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm surely not an expert but from memory he's about the same age as mine (didn't we get them both on the same day?!) so I'm sure it's just a play thing. Billy has now takne to biting the back of my pyjamas in the morning as I walk! If I tell him no he growls, barks a bit (if you can call it that!) and then runs off like a wild thing And form the stance you describe - classic play stance. I think there are a few threads on here ref bite inhibition if his play-bites seem to be getting a bit hard (or some-one may come along and post a link - i haven't a clue how?)

Em x
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks!
He is 11 weeks old today - got him 2 weeks ago on thursday
It looks like a "play bow", but its like the only time he barks (apart from in his crate and with next doors labrador lol), and theres a bit of a growl in it and the "snapping".
It doesn't seem like just play - but it doesn't seem overly aggressive!

Any idea how to get things off the pups when they don't wanna let go apart from what I am doing?
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I think distraction is probably the right way to go in the first instance. I have in the past if they won't give up something they really shouldn't have (like something which really isn't good for them) prised it out of his mouth. I sort of did this on purpose with my previous 2 pups as they were rotties (still are!) and i wanted them not to get agressive if someone took something from their mouths at an early age. Does that make sense or am I waffling?!

With regard to the tugging thing, why would you not tug?
It's agame they all like to play and i've never seen the harm in it - as long as you can teach leave then I don't see an issue. We never dissuaded either of our Rotts from tugging, and to be quite honest Dennis is rubbish at it. He's 10 stone and 6lb Bill (puppy) can pull him round the room!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh really? I had been advised never to play tug with a puppy or dog lol
Maybe I could when he gets better at "leave it" then

And nope - no waffling- its all good
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by GlitterChix21 View Post
Thanks!
He is 11 weeks old today - got him 2 weeks ago on thursday
It looks like a "play bow", but its like the only time he barks (apart from in his crate and with next doors labrador lol), and theres a bit of a growl in it and the "snapping".
It doesn't seem like just play - but it doesn't seem overly aggressive!

Any idea how to get things off the pups when they don't wanna let go apart from what I am doing?
Hi Kammi not aggression normal puppy playing.

If you want to get something off a puppy the best way is to swap it for something else and it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing .
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks
Yeh I either swap for a toy or chicken, I just don't always have chicken to hand which is why I was asking - but thats cool thanks

The other day I was tying my laces and he tried to chew them, so I pushed him away, and thats when he growled and was "snapping", so didn't know if this was just play or not.
He didn't get me and was only like a foot away lol, so wasnt sure if it was more of a show/play thing than something that needs to be addressed asap
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Yep is definitely sounds like a play thing.
I think he just needs to learn was he is allowed to play with (toys, plant pots ) and what he isn't (shoes, flesh !!) and he'll be fine.

Good luck hun x
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh, and tea-towels !!! As Bill wanders into the lounge with one
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by GlitterChix21 View Post
Thanks
Yeh I either swap for a toy or chicken, I just don't always have chicken to hand which is why I was asking - but thats cool thanks

The other day I was tying my laces and he tried to chew them, so I pushed him away, and thats when he growled and was "snapping", so didn't know if this was just play or not.
He didn't get me and was only like a foot away lol, so wasn't sure if it was more of a show/play thing than something that needs to be addressed asap
Hi Kammi yes playing again, 'pushing' your puppy away would be seen by the puppy as part of the game and he would probably growl and come back for more.

If you don't want your puppy to do something the general rule is ignore or distract so in this instance if you had thrown a toy he would have gone after it and forgotten about the laces.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >