Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:14 AM

How do they manage it?

The area in which I live has it's fair share of idiots, drug users and gerneral horrible people.

The one thing i have noticed is that they all seem to have very well behaved dogs! They never have them on lead and the dogs walk right behind them and do what they are told.

Now I can't imagine these people spend the time and effort training their dogs so how do they manage it?

I have taken my pup to training classes, try every day to get him to walk nice on lead, but he's still a maniac, jumping about all over the place when he sees another dog.

What am I doing wrong and what are they doing right?
Flossika
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I recon its sometime because these dogs are no spolt - possiably. They not always given great care & attention such has love, Cuddles etc.

& maybe they have to earn their rewards & food. So the dog become more respectful.

I'm not enterly sure - but its just whats in my head!

Like dogs in the olden days, That got feed scrap etc. They were always more well behaved than now
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:39 AM
We have them here, one thing I notice is they seem not to speak to thier dogs much either they walk around and the dog just follows, but one thin g I have noticed is that if they get into tricky situations the dogs become very protective. I've often thought that maybe this is more like a stray pack order, dogs get fed scraps or whatever is at hand from the person/s owning them....ie thrown bits of sandwiches, biscuits etc as they walk around (well here they do) and its a case of follow what/who they know, strange really as the people owning these dogs don't seem to bother with them but I have noticed here anyway, they must of got hit when young or something as if voices are raised towards them they immediately cower
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I have noticed the dogs tend to walk behind with their ears down so wondered if they were maybe afraid, but I just don't know.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I think its probably a little of the stockholm syndrome, they are so starved for attention/affection/food etc, that they follow their "captor" arround willingly, in hopes of some tidbit, some kind word, etc. Its just in a dogs nature to be loyal, even to the hand that beats them.

Meanwhile, our dogs don't have a want or care in the world. All their immediate needs are fulfilled daily, so that they can afford to allow their attentions to wander and focus on things other than survival. If that makes sense.

Don't think you are doing a thing wrong. Quite the opposite really.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
The area in which I live has it's fair share of idiots, drug users and gerneral horrible people.

The one thing i have noticed is that they all seem to have very well behaved dogs! They never have them on lead and the dogs walk right behind them and do what they are told.

Now I can't imagine these people spend the time and effort training their dogs so how do they manage it?

I have taken my pup to training classes, try every day to get him to walk nice on lead, but he's still a maniac, jumping about all over the place when he sees another dog.

What am I doing wrong and what are they doing right?
spooky!! I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday when I saw a dog standing outside the dole office, no lead on, patiently waiting and looking towards the door, the owner came out and never spoke to the dog but it very calmly just followed behind him, I have seen this with a few men and dogs and they all seem to be staffies and staffy crosses.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:00 PM
It was a staffy that made me think about this, this morning, but I have seen it with other breeds/ crosses.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Because they thump them and cuss them when they`re young.
Like the kids.
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
spooky!! I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday when I saw a dog standing outside the dole office, no lead on, patiently waiting and looking towards the door, the owner came out and never spoke to the dog but it very calmly just followed behind him, I have seen this with a few men and dogs and they all seem to be staffies and staffy crosses.
I have been wondering the same thing recently.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Oh dear ~ I'm going to give a different experience so please don't jump on me!

I used to work in the same building as a benefits office & very often dogs were left outside while owners were inside. Having spoken to some of the owners, I've found that their dogs are the loves of their lives, sometimes the only companions these people have. They are devoted to their dogs & vice versa. They may not have much money but their dogs are sometimes fed when the owners have to go hungry. Their main concern in the winter is how to keep their dogs safe & warm if they are homeless. Some of them refuse to leave their dogs & choose to live on the streets because any shelters won't allow the dogs in.

On the whole these dogs (& yes often staffies & staffy x) are well-adjusted streetwise dogs. They haven't experienced the stresses & strains of living with perhaps, a dysfunctional family, or being left while owners are at work. They are with their owners 24/7. The dogs scavenge & eat whatever is available rather than expensive highly processed commercial dog food. Probably all in all, a far more natural life! And friends that work with the Dogs Trust have reported exactly the same when involved in their Outreach programmes.

I'm obviously excluding the status dogs paraded around & used for fighting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >