Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sasha my dog
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Dog cages

well we bought sasha a dog cage and its huge she looks lost in it but she is prob going to be a bigish dog and guess wot she hates it,,,, shell go in it when we go out and shell go in and out of it if the door is open ( her food and water is in there) as we have a very energtic 6 yr old and we are trying to teach him tht he doesnt disturb her when she is eating so hes not aloud to be near her when she is in her cage as i think hed pester her when she is eating lol

but shell not sleep in it at night its as if she knows tht we are up stairs and just whines and barks til we come down and let her out , iv got to say upto now we havent come down to mess so lucky in tht dept bt really we want her to sleep in her cage at night any ideas
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I would ignore her... She will only last a certain amount of time and you will find it hard, but you can outlast her.

We are going through it with our pup at the mo. If he doesn't want to be in it, he will squeel like someone is throttling him, but he settles in a couple of minutes, once he realises he isn't going to win.

The more you give in (it come down and let her out), then the more she will manipulate you to do it.
sasha my dog
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks for the reply i thought abt doing tht i suppose one restless night will make way fpr more peacefull nights luckly my nextdoor neighbour is totally deaf lol
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by sasha my dog View Post
thanks for the reply i thought abt doing tht i suppose one restless night will make way fpr more peacefull nights luckly my nextdoor neighbour is totally deaf lol
Don't mean to dishearten you, but it will, if she is like my little man, take more than one night lol. It will lessen each night as she gets used to the fact that you aren't going to let her out, but it will take a fair few nights.

When she really gets to you (and she will at times), just focus on the bigger picture of it not happening in however many days. The hard work now will save your sanity in the long run.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi, my Chi. has always had a crate or cage, when he was a puppy he looked so lost in it but now he has his water and food in there also some toys, he cried at first but after about half an hour was quiet he tried it on for a couple of days then figured it got him nowhere. When he's in there I know he is safe not chewing any wires or furniture ect he's 14 months old now and loves his crate you just have to put your foot down he's still young and still learning. At the moment if he doesn't want to go out with the snow he growls so is getting told off quiet often it never stops there's always something.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

I have gone through many agonizing nights with new puppies. Fortunately, over a dozen puppies ago, I found the solution. I have never had much luck with the old clock or radio tricks. What I do is lay down by the crate like I was going to sleep there. Usually a puppy may fuss a little, but then settle down and go to sleep. Once it is asleep, you can get up and go to bed. This has worked every time for a number of puppies for us.
sasha my dog
New Member!
Female 

thanks i suppose she is just like a child and knows which buttons to press
sasha my dog
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:58 PM
mmm saying tht we have started putting her in her cage b4 we go to bed and had one night where she didnt cry till abt 5 30 which she does every night to be let out for a wee she wont mess in her cage but i think tht has to do with her bowls being in there
sasha my dog
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:59 PM
i did tht with her for her basket as she wouldnt stay in it so i laid beside her and now she goes into her basket every time
sasha26
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
thanks everyone (btw i was sasha my dog) sasha now sleeps all night in her cage without whining or barking and even goes in it when we are in with out been asked to go in
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >