Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Stealing food/counter surfing

Jago has always been a bit of a thief but it has escalated since getting Sika. He has stolen in the teens of things off the worktop over the past few weeks. The worst was Saturday when we came home to find he had broken out of their pen, stolen FOUR packets of biscuits, which were unopened and most of a packet of liquorice allsorts (!) plus the bin looked like the contents had been spread across the room, all the left overs and scraps were gone. He's just stolen my little boys oatcake off the table which I was out of the room getting the toothbrushes! Now I understand I need to be more vigilant about putting things away but in my defence, I didn't think he'd take unopened biscuit packets and I can't never have food on the table having a 4 year old child, and his brother who is 7. It's getting worse and worse and I'm tbh getting very p****d off about it! What on earth can I do! I have done up the vestibule as the 'dogs' room and they go in there when I am out, so not near food or anything else. He doesn't take things when I am in the room but, for example, if I was baking and left the room to go to the toilet or whatever, he'd be up there straight away taking what he could. HELP!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Put everything away,you will learn eventually (G)!

Waste bin under lock and key, surfaces clear and cupboards secure.

Good luck at Christmas!!

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Put everything away,you will learn eventually (G)!

Waste bin under lock and key, surfaces clear and cupboards secure.

Good luck at Christmas!!

rune
Yup. I have same problem. My Lab is bad, but at least he'll only raid the bin and counter surf when I'm not looking. My Slovak will gladly do both right in front of me. It is a constant battle in this house.

It is a self reinforcing behaviour, so therefore you have little control over it when you are not around.

Really, you just have to train your self not to leave food lying around and accept that the dogs will, on occasion, get into something you don't want them to have.

Getting a new, pet proof bin and/or moving it to somewhere more secure might help. I'm on the lookout for a pet proof bin as constantly moving it around/changing the contents is annoying me.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Agree with all above - also teach self control around food and that food only comes from you
I made a fun video tutorial about this the other night - I will see if I can upload it

Basicaly first start with a treat in your hand, every time the dog comes to mug your hand close it over - let the dog sniff, lick, paw whatever to get the treat, eventualy he will move away
As soon as the dog does something that is not mugging your hand reward from your other hand
Keep practasing - once they are really good at this so as soon as you present food in your hand they turn away if you want you can add a command like 'leave it' I dont do this at this stage because I am teaching them to leave it without me being there

Then slowly lower the hand to the ground - the dog might go back to mugging the hand because the situation has changed, just close the hand and wait for the mugging to stop - I like them to be sitting and looking at me - but I dont as for it I just shape the behaviour

Then place the treat on the floor (be ready to cover with a foot if needed)
Drop the treat from a tiny height - building up the height

Put a plate of food on the floor with the dog on the lead - as soon as he stops pulling to get the food and backs away reward

Keep on practasing things like this, slowly building up the difficulty, if they make a mistake, look bored or whatever then go back a step or two and make it easy
and only practise for 5 mins at a time

HTH
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Having brought up 3 kids with big dogs, I`ve got into the habit of food always being either put away or out of reach or in dog / child proof containers. And training the kids not to give the dogs any of what they`re having.
You get used to it.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2009, 11:35 AM
You will need to show a little care about the children. A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as long as you reset it.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Here is another method that was in one of my newsletters. I haven't tried it.

Counter Surfing

Does your Foster Puppy counter surf; constantly checking the tables and counters for a tasty morsel that he is sure was left there just for him? If so, teach him The Can Can! For The Can Can you will need about 6 cans (empty pop cans with a few rocks or pennies inside them and a little piece of duct tape over the hole works well). Stack the cans in a pyramid on top of a piece of cardboard or paper to which you have attached a piece of string. Tie the string to the object that your Foster Puppy most desires from the counter top. It may be a dish towel or if it is food he is seeking, use a paper towel that you have used to pat down a piece of meat or maybe some meat juice. Then wait. When the object is snatched from the counter top the pyramid of cans will come crashing down, startling the thief. Your puppy will be caught in the act red pawed! You have just created a self correction! It may take several repetitions to get the point across, but soon your puppy will decide that it just isn't worth taking the chance.

I expect the usual outcry from those without wide experience. Dogs vary widely and it is possible to go a lifetime and never encounter one of the more difficult ones.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 11:56 AM
sigh--------------been there done that, also made mustard tarts which were much enjoyed!

I had a dog who didn't just counter surf, she jumped up with all four feet onto the surface. Usually as soon as my back was turned, a water squirter worked when I was facing her and ready but as soon as I turned she was up again.

Easier to clear the surface and compromise!

Puppies are easier--even labs. Once they are older and have learnt to do it you are stuffed!

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You will need to show a little care about the children. A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as long as you reset it.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Here is another method that was in one of my newsletters. I haven't tried it.

Counter Surfing

Does your Foster Puppy counter surf; constantly checking the tables and counters for a tasty morsel that he is sure was left there just for him? If so, teach him The Can Can! For The Can Can you will need about 6 cans (empty pop cans with a few rocks or pennies inside them and a little piece of duct tape over the hole works well). Stack the cans in a pyramid on top of a piece of cardboard or paper to which you have attached a piece of string. Tie the string to the object that your Foster Puppy most desires from the counter top. It may be a dish towel or if it is food he is seeking, use a paper towel that you have used to pat down a piece of meat or maybe some meat juice. Then wait. When the object is snatched from the counter top the pyramid of cans will come crashing down, startling the thief. Your puppy will be caught in the act red pawed! You have just created a self correction! It may take several repetitions to get the point across, but soon your puppy will decide that it just isn't worth taking the chance.

I expect the usual outcry from those without wide experience. Dogs vary widely and it is possible to go a lifetime and never encounter one of the more difficult ones.
Hi Peedie you have had some excellent advice in this thread, the above post is not part of it and should be ignored unless you want to risk causing serious damage to your dog.

ETA I don't like disagreeing with other members preferring instead to post alternative suggestions, but in this instance I am making an exception because I don't think this kind of treatment of a dog is acceptable or should go unchallenged.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 12:41 PM
A mousetrap? Are you serious? Leaving moustraps around the counters ready for your dog to stick his nose in or your kids to stick their fingers in?! Seriously??!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought really! I think I just needed a rant more than anything else as I know it's pretty much me to blame for leaving the food around in the first place. We ordered a new bin a few days ago so hopefully that will cut that issue out. He know's the leave it command but I will keep reinforcing it and proof it more with Ben Mc's ideas, thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >