Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Dog training camp

Would you or did you send away your dog away to a training camp?

Basically I'm asking as I'm fed up with my friend insisting I should do it as one of her friends had sent her rotti away and he came back perfectly behaved and trained.
I tried explaining that my dog is a completely different breed, I would not know what methods would be used in training, etc.... and personally to me it sounds like sending your children away to be brought up by someone else.

Now I know she doesn't know much about dogs as once I left her in a small car park with my pup as I went to buy a few things, only to come back and she's all freaked out as she thought she'd open the door of the car and let the pup (who was 9 months old) out of a car for a sniff....instead he ran out and after some chasing she just about managed to get hold of him when I showed up. She kind of expected my dog to exit calmly and stand close to the car, even though she knows he always follows me and freaks out when I'm out of sight.

So she pretty much does my head in telling me how that rottie does not go into the kitchen, he stands on the threshold and does not come in, never barks etc....

So what are your opinions?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Nope! Would never do it!
Not only do you not know what they are doing when you aren't there......but who's to say your dog will be obedient towards you!

I think it's a lot more fun to attend training classes with your dog!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I am surprised it worked as well as it did. Much of dog training is about training the owner. When I am out in public with a puppy, people often wish I could train their dog to behave as well. I could train their dog to obey me, but I couldn't train it to obey them.

Side note, others ask about training their children. I say no problem, I'll put a choke collar and leash on them and shape them up in no time.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Completely agree with both your comments!
Apparently they were given the "instructions" and the dog's owner (who's died now) also did some training, but I'm inclined to think that most of those quick fix camps will use shock tactics to train the dog.
How would I know I wouldn't end up with a terrified dog who was shocked into behaving?
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 10:56 AM
No way!

As much as dog training is about teaching the dog what to do and what not to do, it's also about bonding with your dog and it wanting to work for you. For just that reason I'd never send my dog away, nevermind the fact that you have no idea what kind of training techniques these places use.

I won't name names but I've heard some HORROR stories.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you, just what I suspected! Now I can tell her to shut her gob forever

I let my dog be a dog, he's slightly wary of strangers (he's in a Kevin fear imprint stage at the moment) so if that doesn't improve with MY training then I'll get a behaviourist in.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I could never send Ollie away, he just wouldn't cope neither would I wondering what was happening to him.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Go on a training course with the dog yes

Send dog on its own NOT A CHANCE!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Hell no, I would not let them go with strangers (professional trainers or not)
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't get that! I would only let mine go if I could go with her, what's the point of training the dog & not the owner!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >