Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Crates

Hi all

I would like to know what peoples views are about putting a puppy in a crate, i always thought it was a cruel thing to do but after talking to other people im not sure, i am about to go buy one i think for my pup to stop chewing while were out and for it to be a good place for her to be.
Harrys-Dad
New Member!
Male 

28-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi
I can say in all honesty, it is the best thing to have a crate.............I have always had dogs and never had a crate, four dogs ago I was given one for a naughty Puppy who chewed his way through my Kitchen........... I thought it was cruel, he loved it and during the day if we were in he slept in there with the door open!!
Harry is in one and he also loves it, he has a special teddy, his special blue bone and three towels..............he is fast asleep in there now, door open and free to raom.
Crates rule OK.................
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Samantha I think there is a place for crates if used the correct way, that for me means for short periods only if the door is closed /never as a punishment /as a safe refuge.

It is important a puppy is introduced to a crate in the right way so that it doesn't become fearful of them, this article explains about crates and may be of interest to you.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
Twinkle2
New Member!
Female 

28-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I use crates for my three and they love them! They go straight to them when we're going out....they have heir lovely comfy beds in there so they're more than happy.

I have two young daughters and they know that when the dogs are in their crates they are to leave them alone.....it is their space and they'll retreat to them if they need some time out from running around with the kids.
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2009, 02:16 PM
A crate is most definitely the way to go! read carefully about them and never ever use them as a punishment.
I too thought it was cruel, but after lots of reading and talking, it became the most obvious thing to do I got one for Lola and she loves it, although my other dog never had one, she occasionally pokes her head in to see what makes it so attractive for Lola I guess!

you have a definite thumbs up from me for considering a crate!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I suppose it depends if the puppy is going to be left alone. I`ve never had a very young dog, but I would imagine them getting into the same sort of trouble as unattended toddlers. I don`t see the point of using them for older dogs though - apart from habit.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I think a crate is a good thing if used correctly . I would not shut a dog or puppy in it for all day while at work for example . However if used for short periods of time it keeps the puppy safe from chewing anything which may harm him .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I used one recently for my gsd puppy and have to say, it was the best thing we ever did with a puppy! We had NO sleepless nights, NO mess in the house, and apart from that, they can't get themselves into any trouble overnight chewing housewires etc. They are brilliant, I can't praise them highly enough!

However, mine was ONLY used for overnight, or for if I needed the puppy out of the way for half an hour or so during the daytime, I would never have put her in there during the daytime for longer than that, but then I'm here at home all the time, and that's just me and what I like and don't like! Never, ever use the crate as a punishment either, this is their sanctuary, to get away from an older dog pestering them, or to keep them safe etc.

I dispensed with mine about a month ago starting with overnight, and everything has gone smoothly touch wood! I also think a puppy of 6 months should be able to do without one, but again, that's just me and my opinion.

Make sure you get a big enough one coz puppies grooooooow soooooo quickly!!! Mine grew like a weed so thank goodness I got the biggest crate I could, but then she's a gsd.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention how brilliant it was for housetraining too because they never, ever mess in a crate, so learn to hold it all night long and so it goes on forever!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I think they are great
Help make toilet training easy
Stop the house getting chewd up
Teach the dog an off switch - ie, when im out life is boring - might as well sleep
Safe place for a nervous dog
You KNOW your dog is safe when you are out (a puppy in our street suffocated getting his head stuck in a welly boot just before I got Ben so I was super scared of what daft things dogs can get up to when you are not watching)
also great way to introduce a older rescue to your home and dogs
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:50 PM
We tried it when we first got our puppy and lasted 4 nights. She weed & pooed in it & on her bedding & whined all night. I know I gave up easily but she has since quite happily slept in her bed at the bottom of the stairs with the hallway, 1/2 the stairs & the kitchen to roam round. This is also where she has to roam around when we go out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >