Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
you'll be fine and it's fairly easy to find, as you get closer you will start seeing agility vans and cars so you will know you are not lost Watch out for the speed camera in the 40mph limit What height category is he in?
we're in class 1 large elementary agility and class 10 large jumping. the only thing i'm worried about is the height of the jumps as he is only just a large. at the agility addicts shows they have an extra class called standard for small large dogs and the jumps are a few inches smaller. i'm sure he'll be fine and i'm worrying unneccessarily!!!

thanks for the warning of the speed camera!!! :smt002
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl View Post
we're in class 1 large elementary agility and class 10 large jumping. the only thing i'm worried about is the height of the jumps as he is only just a large. at the agility addicts shows they have an extra class called standard for small large dogs and the jumps are a few inches smaller. i'm sure he'll be fine and i'm worrying unneccessarily!!!

thanks for the warning of the speed camera!!! :smt002
if he does the larger jumps in training I am sure he will be ok in the ring, if he does duck one if it were me I would keep going and worry about sorting that in training as it could be for a whole list of reasons and not necessarily the height. Also if you take him back with some dogs it can knock their confidence although you know him better than me so I am sure you will know what the right thing to do is. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy it! A clear round is unlikely at your first show but not impossible so don't be too shocked if it does happen You couldn't do any worse than me at my first show, I think deef did one jump, A-frame, 2 out of the 6 weaves, tunnel, dogwalk and the next three jumps before he realised I was still at the A-frame calling him back:smt005 We are a bit better now though.....:smt002 That was also at myerscough Have you got anyone going with you? I have early runs in other rings but I am taking my video camera so will try and see you run and maybe do a quick vid but can't promise as it will be a bit hectic for me first thing
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey, good luck, let us know how you get on
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:27 PM
will keep every thing crossed but have lots of fun and ots of pics please.
megsmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I've only been doing agility for 8 months and we have had some ups and quite a few downs when competing!(Although we got a 3rd and 4th at the UKA show last weekend - haven't stopped grinning yet!)You will probably be a bag of nerves on the day but enjoy the experience and you will learn far more from the mistakes you make! My only piece of advice is when you walk the course don't be tempted to follow the route that a more experienced handler takes. You know how your dog operates, choose a route that suts this style and stick to it. Have a clear idea which route you are taking and stick to it. If you are confident about the route you are taking this will be reflected in your dogs performance. Have fun on Saturday. Let us know how you get on!! Lots of pics please.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:28 AM
thanks everyone for your support!!!! i am soo looking forward to it now . i'm not expecting miracles. i can imagine i'm going to learn so much from this experience. the worst he can do is run out isnt it??? from my point of view i suppose is not to get annoyed or angry with him esp if he does go off sniffing or saying hello to the judge!!! i'll try not to grab his collar otherwise i'll get eliminated.

my first class is first thing in the morning, then my next one is in the afternoon. sam is quite steady at agility he doesnt bomb round like a loon, so i just hope he's like that on saturday!!!

unfortunately i'm going on my own, so probably wont have time to take piccies, but might see if someone who's in line might take some for me! also are the running orders to the tee, cos i'm no 1 in my first class (glug) and no 15 in my 2nd class?

cheers
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 12:50 PM
How exciting for you, I do hope you have a good time Good luck and let us know how you got on!:smt002
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 01:13 PM
good luck, no advice to give as I have never done agility.....yet . Hope you have fun xx
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl View Post
thanks everyone for your support!!!! i am soo looking forward to it now . i'm not expecting miracles. i can imagine i'm going to learn so much from this experience. the worst he can do is run out isnt it??? from my point of view i suppose is not to get annoyed or angry with him esp if he does go off sniffing or saying hello to the judge!!! i'll try not to grab his collar otherwise i'll get eliminated.

my first class is first thing in the morning, then my next one is in the afternoon. sam is quite steady at agility he doesnt bomb round like a loon, so i just hope he's like that on saturday!!!

unfortunately i'm going on my own, so probably wont have time to take piccies, but might see if someone who's in line might take some for me! also are the running orders to the tee, cos i'm no 1 in my first class (glug) and no 15 in my 2nd class?

cheers

they usually call the first 20 dogs to the ring so you will probably end up running first but I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy! You are not expected to run in strict order, if you are number 20 for example and you get there first and don't mind then you can run first if you wish, they usually just want to get the class going
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 01:53 PM
How exciting, have fun and good luck
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >