Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 07:52 AM

Help! Getting new carpet...

Hi all !
I'm getting new carpets all through the house on Tues . Sammie is still having the occassional accident in the house . Has anyone got any tips for getting rid of the smell?? He is getting alot better and the accidents are rare, but i have been waiting sooo long for new carpets, want to keep them as nice as poss for as long as poss.

Thank in advance
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Diesel ruined my front room carpet, couldn't find anything to remove the stains completely, so ripped it up and laid a wooden floor instead, would never have carpet again, have wooden floors throughout now and it's so much easier to keep clean.

Sorry that doesnt help you AT ALL!!!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 08:26 AM
When Ben was wee, I used to clean up accidents using biological washing powder made into a solution with a little warm water , get rid of as much excess before applying solution either by scraping or soaking up, then apply the solution, rubbing it in working from the outside to the centre of the area. Leave for 5 or 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm (not hot) water and leave to dry and then you can always hoover over it aswell when it is dry.

Hope that helps a bit
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 08:35 AM
If it were me and you are really bothered by dog-pee accidents then Id hang fire on the new carpets- if one of your dogs is still having accidents in the house Id hang onto the old carpets til no more accidents- how old is Sammie ?My dog hasnt had an "accident" since she was about 8 months old But thats just me- my carpets are over 20 years old
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Invest in a good quality carpet shampooer, it really does make cleaning up far less traumatic and probably gets far more out of the carpet

I have the bissell pro tec used with the pet odor and soil remover it is brilliant.

http://www.barmey.co.uk/ssl/aspcart/...oduct_id=51543
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Biological washing powder-it eats into the enzmes which cause the nasty niffs!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
When Ben was wee, I used to clean up accidents using biological washing powder made into a solution with a little warm water , get rid of as much excess before applying solution either by scraping or soaking up, then apply the solution, rubbing it in working from the outside to the centre of the area. Leave for 5 or 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm (not hot) water and leave to dry and then you can always hoover over it aswell when it is dry.

Hope that helps a bit
I do this but also saw in tescos for £50 a vax handheld carpet cleaner, gonna get one myself. I haven't got a lot of space to store a normal vax so this is just perfect! Its not in all stores but they do now have a catalogue so you can order from there
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone! Good tips!

Never have liked wooden floors, well should i say they are nice like, but my house is very hard to heat, and wooden floors make it much harder.

Zeta - Sammie is about 11 months. He is a rescue and I have only had him about a month. He is pretty much there, but it's little piddles when excited, which is also improving. it's all done thru insurance, and i've been waiting months, so defo not waiting any longer .
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 01:01 PM
The biological washing powder is the way forward I reckon. You might find he has less of a tendency to piddle on the new carpet anyway, as they're attracted to the piddly smells they've left behind in the past
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
The biological washing powder is the way forward I reckon. You might find he has less of a tendency to piddle on the new carpet anyway, as they're attracted to the piddly smells they've left behind in the past
Yeah, that's waht i'm hoping for, fingers crossed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >