Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Had My Hands Full Today!!

I was out early this morning driving a friend 80 miles away to get her Gordon Setter bitch mated. She isn't very confident at driving so asked if we could go in my car and she would pay the petrol. I didn't mind, she's been good to me so thought it was the least I could do.

A question though - why is it that I own neither the dog or the bitch yet I'm the one of the floor with my hand around private parts getting the mating under way? Not only that, I'm the mug that stays on the cold, dirty floor holding both dog and bitch, (having helped the dog turn), so that they don't pull away, whilst both their mums stand up, loose leads in one hand, cuppa in the other, chatting about recent events in the show world

The dog had not been used before but was a lovely boy and so excited. His owner does breed and was talking about different stud dogs so I just assumed she would do the mating. My friend never gets involved in the dirty bits, she just holds her girls leads and hopes the dog does what he has to. For about 20 minutes this poor dog was jumping on the bitch, she kept falling sideways as he was much bigger than her, and I had visions of us being there all day to no avail. His owner just kept telling him he was a good boy but made no attempt at helping him. I know that we have to more or less do everything for the English Setters (as they are so daft they try to mate every oriface but the right one), but I know this isn't the case for every breed and some are left to it with just a watchful eye cast over them in need. So I wasn't really sure whether they would get it together in the end, although it looked highly unlikely.

I'm not really one to offer my services, I prefer to be asked as I don't want people to think that I'm trying to interfere but I could see my friend getting a bit tense. Suddenly she asked me "have you got any ideas as to what we're doing wrong?", so I said that I was willing to give them a hand so long as the dogs owner didn't mind and that he wouldn't mind a complete stranger touching him. She looked quite relieved and told me to go ahead, so I got on the floor and they were tied within 3 seconds and stayed that way for 30 minutes.

My friend now tells me that I have got to go with her whenever she mates a bitch so that I can do the "joining together" bit, if the stud dog owner isn't up to it. I don't know whether to be flattered or embarrassed, I do seem to have a way with the stud dogs as mine are all excellent at performing, but I wouldn't really think that sort of reputation would look good on my CV or do anything for my street cred, do you?
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Quote:
I know that we have to more or less do everything for the English Setters (as they are so daft they try to mate every oriface but the right one), but I know this isn't the case for every breed and some are left to it with just a watchful eye cast over them in need. So I wasn't really sure whether they would get it together in the end, although it looked highly unlikely. (Quote)

That did make me chuckle Scorpio,Sounds like my Alfie LOL !
I hope the pair of them actually took some notice of what you were doing ????
(The owners of both dogs i mean )
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Quote:
I know that we have to more or less do everything for the English Setters (as they are so daft they try to mate every oriface but the right one), but I know this isn't the case for every breed and some are left to it with just a watchful eye cast over them in need. So I wasn't really sure whether they would get it together in the end, although it looked highly unlikely. (Quote)

That did make me chuckle Scorpio,Sounds like my Alfie LOL !
I hope the pair of them actually took some notice of what you were doing ????
(The owners of both dogs i mean )
Thanks Tink. I think a lot of dogs are like that really, you know, need a bit of guidance in the right direction. Bless your Alfie, he's a sweetie, just how they should be.

I don't think the owners have learnt anything, they were too busy gossiping, lol
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I know what you mean. i've been roped into a few matings that were nothing to do with me (other than a friends girl being covered......) spending theafternoon on a cold hard floor.
My Digg looks at me like dirt if i try and intervene.... he has the "i've got it covered" look!!!!! although sometimes i may have to lift a slightly shorter female, i'm not permited to touch the working parts (thank heavens)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Blimey as an owner of a bitch I'd far rather get involved myself than expect anyone else to do it lol! Maybe you should consider charging :smt002
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by cocker mum View Post
I know what you mean. i've been roped into a few matings that were nothing to do with me (other than a friends girl being covered......) spending theafternoon on a cold hard floor.
My Digg looks at me like dirt if i try and intervene.... he has the "i've got it covered" look!!!!! although sometimes i may have to lift a slightly shorter female, i'm not permited to touch the working parts (thank heavens)
I don't mind really, I just love dogs, all dogs.

Only one of my boys wants to do it all by himself, the others all want mummy to help them and, yes, I do have to touch everything on both dogs!!

Maybe I should warm my hands first at this time of year, lol
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Blimey as an owner of a bitch I'd far rather get involved myself than expect anyone else to do it lol! Maybe you should consider charging :smt002
Becky
Yes, me too, I don't think I'd trust a stranger to be gentle enough with my dog or bitch.

I should have thought about the charging thing, I'm always to late thinking of these things, lol
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Sheree Perhaps you could set up a little "Hands On" business and make yourself some money.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 08:49 PM
blimey i love dogs but im so glad my dogs a cross breed thats been done!!! mind u when he was a puppy we went to see his brother and they where playing, and bambi (thats a boy btw) managed to seduce ben with out any help, ben wasnt too happy LOL
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Hi Sheree Perhaps you could set up a little "Hands On" business and make yourself some money.
oooh Lovezois, now theres an idea, lol. I could probably make a mint, maybe that could be something to look into in the new year.

Now, better start taking care of the equipment, anyone seen my handcream?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >