Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Do you teach "turn"?

Just wondering really! I went to Ringcraft for the first time in a long time and it was filled with lots of new people and their doggies. I also got chance to test out my new leather/chain lead, it's fab!!!!

Anyway! There was a new lady there with a young Golden and she was teaching it to do turns, something I've never seen before.

Does anyone here do this and does it work?

I'll be honest I'd never even thought about it!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi Rips,
Yes i do,
I always have that's part of our ringcraft training.
I do alot at home now as our nearest ringcraft is quite a distance away.I walk them up and down and tell them to turn each end.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:16 PM
And do you think it works? Do your dogs actually turn when told?

Think I might have to start teaching this, although Isla doesn't really have a problem as she's taught to walk/run to heel so just follows my lead!

Sometimes!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes they do,they know when they get to the one end,sometimes without a command other times it may a couple,but megs doing it first time at the mo,the real test will be at a show with lots of noise and other dogs and a different atmosphere,everything i've taught her will probably all go out of the window!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Yep that's usually the way isn't it?!

Thanks for that Sal, it's definitely something to consider.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I teach mine "turn" for the end of the "up and down" and "back" for going left into the next leg of the triangle.
Even Deccy has managed to catch on! (This is the dog that doesn't understand "stand" yet! )
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2007, 08:57 AM
We teach turns to our Mastiffs,for a left turn we teach them the word "back" for a right turn we do "close" and in the show ring it looks so much smarter than watching someone struggle with one of our sized dogs trying to get it to go in different directions,by pulling and tugging on their leads,must also ad here though that not many do,
Wendy
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I also teach the turn - but remember to give the command fractionally before carrying out the action, otherwise you run the risk of throwing your dog off balance.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Yep I also teach turn with the setters - helps to keep the flow of the movement going from my point of view. They do get it (yep even the setters!)

I hate the way some people 'push' their dogs round the turn by the nose - spoils the movement and bit mean looking too!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I taught mine turn from an early age. Doesn't seem to matter which way I turn them. I just use the word turn and they look to see where i'm heading.
I'm sure at the beginning though I used "back" for a left turn (me going round the dog) and "close" for a right turn "the dog going round me" then just turn when we doing the triangles and shapes.
It's coming in useful now as I've started doing the adult handling classes. They're a really good idea as it really makes you think where you in relation to the dog
You need to gauge your turns correctly so that the movment of the dog is not affected.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >