Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rob91
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Growling

hi,
I have a 6 yo nutered male collie x springer he is a rescue dog my gf had him for 5 years. he has bitten in the past which I thought was a one off and possibly provoked it was a younger cousin (13yo) who is use to dogs but she didnt tell anyone about the bite. He goes to bite people in a submissive behaviour if sudden movements to grab collar.

The concern I have is he growled at my 8month old baby unprovoked. the dogs were lay down. the baby was sat playing with his toys and the dog just growled at him for no reason. I have checked him and he not sore ect. I have spoken to a behavioust but can not afford what they are charging. If this was a provoked incident then this would not be an issue but it wasnt, also with it not being a first problem. He doesnt like males and doesnt like being left alone either so if i was to rehome him it would be a very tall order.

I am making an appointment tomorrow with the vets as well as speaking to some rescue shelters to seek advice. I have always belived a dog is for life and if it was myself or my gf he growled at we would not even thinking about rehoming or PTS but the baby has to come first.
any advice would be much appriciated.
Thanks
Rob91
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2012, 10:26 PM
have two other dogs in the house 1 spayed female and 1 unspayed female she is only 7 months and not had a season yet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I am just very glad you consider that the baby has to come first. As to the cost of a behavourist - if you wanted to keep the dog - that would be nothing compared with the cost emotionally of it attacking your child or someone else's.

I had to let go of a dog that 'took against' my youngest son once he started toddling. Didn't let it get any further than the 'nasty warning growling' stage.

Kids vs dogs - no contest for me.
Rob91
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2012, 10:31 PM
I do no what i have to do it remove the dog, and i wish i could afford a behaviourst but i have just lost my job say it comes in 3s eh?!
It is my gf dog really and she is in bits but i just worry i thought resuces wouldnt take a dog that had bitten? so other option is rehome ourselves and would he be passed to and fro?? is that fair? would pts be the kindest option? head is all over the place.

For now we just keep all dogs outside/ in other room while the baby is about then they come into the living room during the eveing
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Decent careful rescues don't take dogs which have bitten.

Since you can't afford help you have two options. Manage the dog and keep him away from all kids etc at all times--when he does have to mix you muzzle him. Introduce the muzzle carefully.

Or pts.

TBH I expect he is insecure anyway and all upside down with new dog and new baby in the house---bad move all at once but it is done now.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Rob91 View Post
hi,
He goes to bite people in a submissive behaviour if sudden movements to grab collar.

The concern I have is he growled at my 8month old baby unprovoked. the dogs were lay down. the baby was sat playing with his toys and the dog just growled at him for no reason.

Thanks
If your child is at risk then there are only two options available to you.

Very robust management of both child and dog (easy now when a baby not so easy later on especially when your baby starts to craw etc) or have the dog PTS.

There are worse things that can happend to a dog than being PTS and you must definitely NOT rehome this dog privately unless the new owners had a full history and did not have children.
Rob91
New Member!
Male 

24-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If your child is at risk then there are only two options available to you.

Very robust management of both child and dog (easy now when a baby not so easy later on especially when your baby starts to craw etc) or have the dog PTS.

There are worse things that can happend to a dog than being PTS and you must definitely NOT rehome this dog privately unless the new owners had a full history and did not have children.
I would never rehome where there were children and never hold information back that wouldnt be fair on anyone.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 07:46 AM
have you thought about re-homing to an older couple who have no grandchildren and who can devote their time to your pet?
Rob91
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi,
Some one is willing to take my dog on she said her doberman bitch has suffered from separation anxiety since she had pups, which left at the same time she had to move as she spilt up with her partner. I have explained that he has bitten in the past and snapped. and is fully prepared. Her dog has ripped her house to shreads im just concerned that adding another dog into the mix is not a good idea. but the other option I have is hard to think about.

Im considering a soft muzzle for when the baby is crawling around the floor? that way could keep the dog, plus working with him, treating him whilst around the dog? but the vet mentioned spaniel rage in this case the training would not help

I also spoke to a behaviourst that my friend at the dogs trust recommended and she said not to rehome him as that is just passing the problem on
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Few behaviourists and no Rescues will recommend rehoming if a dog has bitten as they have their insurance to think of.
The dog has growled. He may have bitten once. Is that it?
Rage Syndrome doesn`t appear out of the blue.
You seem to have a lot of `experts` who haven`t actually observed the dog advising you. (Forgive me if the behaviourist visited and spent time with the family and the dog)
For now - use baby gates and a playpen to keep dog and baby separate. TBH it`s something I`d be doing anyway - especially with a crawling baby. Electric sockets are as lethal as a frightened dog after all.
Find a good behaviourist (APDT or APBC qualified) who will come and observe and advise.
This book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Dog-Bab.../dp/1873483228
may help.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >