Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jirmette View Post
Thank you

In the meantime, I've also spoken to his sire's breeder and had some great advice,
Sorry to read you are having problems with your puppy - can you share the advice the breeder has given at all?

It is possible for puppies to be aggressive, but often puppy biteyness is wrongly seen as aggressiveness (but not saying that is the case here).

I would definitely look into the diet.
It is possibile for some puppies and dogs to become aggressive, it seems, if they are "intolerant" to part of the food. For example a puppy in rescue was given a change of diet (it was the only thing that altered) and became quite aggressive, but when the diet was changed, the pup became calmer and more easily relaxed. It's not always obvious it is the food, though.

Wys
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sorry to read you are having problems with your puppy - can you share the advice the breeder has given at all?

It is possible for puppies to be aggressive, but often puppy biteyness is wrongly seen as aggressiveness (but not saying that is the case here).

Wys
x
I would have thought true aggression in a puppy this young will be genetic or due to illness... but in most cases its usually down to over exuberance.

Thinking about it, I do recall a Rotti pup that was PTS at 5 mths old..due to his aggression, and that was serious aggression..

Turned out though his sire was known for aggression.

I think to many people (we see it here all the time) think a biting pup is aggressive, and most of the time, its down to not being tuned into a puppies behaviour.

I am glad the poster has spoken to one of the breeders, lets hope they can help sort his behaviour out.

I would guess (unless proved the pup is aggressive) the puppy has simply got to big for his own good, play biting has simply got out of control.

I knew someone with a young Boxer who said his dog was out to get him, (pup was 6 mths old) because he (pup) would push the owner into the hedges and bite at the lead

i think from the general consensus on here, its probably a very boisterous puppy, that need to be taken in hand to learn a few manners.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

22-08-2011, 05:46 PM
As we left to walk back, it was obvious he wasn't too happy about leaving (?tired) which again isn't that unusual as he loves all the attention he gets there, but after walking for a minute or so, he kept going for me, there was no snarling or teeth on display, but he meant it (whereas usually it's just puppy nippiness/excitement, this felt different) and has put several holes in my clothes (and skin). I held his collar and managed to calm him down by stroking him and eventually sat on the ground and cuddled/soothed him until he calmed down
I wonder if this was the cause of your problem, that puppy was tired (as you said) and he was simply resisting being made to walk home.

Sometimes you will see an otherwise biddable dog reacting in a manner not usual to them, in situations of stress.

If you have not seen any level of the same behaviour before now, then maybe it was down to the situation . and he was simply tired!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

i think from the general consensus on here, its probably a very boisterous puppy, that need to be taken in hand to learn a few manners.
Can I just ask, how would you take a boisterous puppy "in hand"?

What would a mummy dog do with a puppy like this?

Is it possible to replicate what the mother would do?

Sorry you can tell I have had very little experience with puppies can't you.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jirmette View Post
Thank you

In the meantime, I've also spoken to his sire's breeder and had some great advice, that's very similar to your non-judgemental advice.

Both his parents are very placid, as is he the rest of the time, even his mad half hours are NOTHING like last night, which is the point I was trying to get across, but obviously didn't make myself understood.

I had no option but to hold his collar, it was literally the only position we could be in where he wasn't sinking his teeth into me, and meaning to hurt or not, it flipping well did hurt. This episode went on for quite a while as I was unable to get him home while he was acting like this, 25kgs of dog laying on the ground isn't movable.

He's back at puppy school tonight so I'll speak to them about it also.

Thanks again. x
what judgemental advice

have a trailing line on him if u think he will act like that again....no need to grab collars or react to him.

also i asked about treats and diet for the reason wysiwig mentioned
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I wonder if this was the cause of your problem, that puppy was tired (as you said) and he was simply resisting being made to walk home.

Sometimes you will see an otherwise biddable dog reacting in a manner not usual to them, in situations of stress.

If you have not seen any level of the same behaviour before now, then maybe it was down to the situation . and he was simply tired!
or didnt want to go home
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Can I just ask, how would you take a boisterous puppy "in hand"?

What would a mummy dog do with a puppy like this?

flea isnt a 'mummy' dog but a 'nanny dog'.... he would ignore ignore ignore...then muzzle hold if pushed....something i wouldnt replicate lol.(the muzzle hold)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

22-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Can I just ask, how would you take a boisterous puppy "in hand"?What would a mummy dog do with a puppy like this?

By setting some rules in place and and act on them

I would assess the situation, do some research on puppy /dog behaviour (if needed) and work out a regime and rules to work by.
Jirmette
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Thank you, I do wonder if that was the case, the breeder also felt it was him testing boundaries and advised nipping it in the bud - she thought I'd handled it correctly, which was reassuring after some of the replies I had here that made me feel I'd made an enormous error.

He's never acted anywhere like that before, hence me trying to find out if there was something wrong, he's normally an extremely placid, friendly, loving pup, even during his little nippy half hours if we say "Ow" loudly, the next time he'll still nip, but will be gentler - always very reactive to us.
Jirmette
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
or didnt want to go home
I can only assume you've posted that to be inflammatory.

Nice. Oh and extremely non-judgemental.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >