Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Weird behaviour before walks

Alfie has recently started this weird behaviour....

Since I got him I have never let him "go mad" when he sees the lead/i say we are going out, he just sits and waits for the lead to be clipped on and that's it, no fuss, nice and calm.

I take him out in the afternoon and sometimes in the morning and he is fine.

Dad has taken him out most evenings since we got him too, sometimes with me, sometimes without. I go because I want to go, but also like just having the two of them go out, so that Alfie gets used to being walked by other people and not overly dependant on me. This routine has been going on since I got him.

When dad gets changed Alfie knows they are about to go out so follows him, then will sit at my door and "wait" for me to come too, where I either go, or tell him to go, and he goes downstairs, gets the lead on with dad and they go, and it was fine. Recently, over the last week or so, he has been really protesting when I don't move and when I tell him to go downstairs he whinges (like talking whinging, not high pitched) and sometimes makes a real fuss about it.

Then the SECOND he steps out the front door he's totally fine and just goes with it and acts perfectly for Dad on the walk....

It isn't like I was taking him and just stopped going... I go 3/4 times a week with them, and this is how it has been since the very start, so why now?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't think it's protest - it sounds like excitement to me - but if you could film or sound record the noise he makes it'll be easier to determine..
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I will try and do that yeah, but definitely seems like protest from this end
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I will try and do that yeah, but definitely seems like protest from this end
But a protest would go on after he is out the door as well - if you got him that far.. it's hard to tell without seeing/hearing it..

Sadie whinges constantly when her lead is out and before we go out the door - when she's outside she's fine..
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Lol, he doesn't go out the front door without this protesting(or whatever), it's only once he is out that he acts normal

Normally what I do now is tell him to go, normally he like edges down but comes back and makes this noise, and I end up taking him down (I don't say anything to him), dad then puts the lead on, and I walk away again, as if I stayed within reach he would be lunging/jumping at me (something he never does).

If I tell him we are going for a walk (middle of the day) and I "take too long" he whinges then, but that's more of a "hurry up you said we were goinggggg" type whinge , this one is more of a "I'm not going if you're not", until he is out the door.

ETA: If I am going too he acts the same as he does when we go out in the afternoon, being quiet and just sits and waits calmly until we go
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Gonna go for a walk in a min, so will get a video of what he is like just now when I take him, and then will try and get one later of him protesting, or whatever we decided he was doing
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 10:16 AM
This is NOT his weird behaviour, this is him normally before we go out.... I will get a weird one later if I can

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=DSCF2339.mp4

Just to use as a comparison if I do manage to get another from later
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 12:48 PM
It could be that you've been the one who takes him the most so it's a bit confusing, or it could be that he acts differently for your Dad.. My dogs are quiet for me, they know that quiet means walk (well Sadie whinges but it beats Benjie's barking) when the OH picks up the leads, all the dogs jump, bark, whine, push out of the door.

I'm not really sure - not a trained professional here but I'm trying lol..

P.S; he's much better than my oldest two
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
This is NOT his weird behaviour, this is him normally before we go out.... I will get a weird one later if I can

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=DSCF2339.mp4

Just to use as a comparison if I do manage to get another from later
Superb behaviour, quiet, still, focused and perfectly under control, just how all dogs should be prior to leaving the house.

I am impressed!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Interested to see the other behaviour but sounds a bit like a mummies dog

Ben does the same thing if someone else is going to run him for agility, he trots off alll happy then comes back to me and crys - then he goes off and works with them
I just figure its cos I have done most of the work with him and he would prefer to work with me - if I am in sight then he wants to be with me - if someone else takes him away or I leave him then he is totaly fine with other people
Just when I am there he wants to be working with me
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >