Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Future breeding plans, opnions please?

im planning to have a litter from daphni at some point next year. But after christmas i may be moving in with the OH and this is where my problem lies.

my OH lives in a pub, so they live upstairs with the pub being downstairs. my problem is that firstly, the pups would be reared in what would be my bedroom, (they dont have a living room because of the ammount of people that live there) so first of all is it wrong to have a litter in the bedroom? they would still hear and get used to every day sounds like the hoover, tv, hair dryers etc.

secondly they dont have a proper garden. because they have the pub, then a big hall that is on their land too there is no garden, and the property isnt fenced off. it leads onto the car park and a farm which is on the same bit (the house is in a dip down a lane on a main road)

there is a small space where all the buildings join which is concrete flooring, no one else uses this point just the people who live in the pub as it leads to the front door upstairs. at the minute there is no gate on the steps up to the door, but this could easily be fixed, so the puppies would have an enclosed space where they could begin toilet training etc.

there are other dogs there, but this isnt a problem both my current dogs get on with OHs crested, and his mum and dads two collies. when i stay we take the dogs to the toilet by putting them on their leads then we get a little bit down the road we let them off, as there is a disused warehouse, where there is grass and a bit of woodland, we let them off here and they have a run. there is also a field next to the house which we are allowed to use to exercise them.

my question is i suppose is, is this acceptable, if the pups had somewhere safe and enclosed to toilet, because they wouldnt be going out anywhere before vaccinations.

i know really i should have a big house and big garden for them, and nanas house would be better to have a litter but i cant cope living with her anymore shes making it unbearable and has told me i have to go anyway. so i dont know what to do. i have no idea how long me and the OH will be living at his, theres no way we can afford our own place at the minute. but i have wanted to have a litter from daphni, and i dont know how long the situation im moving into is going be, so im a bit unsure of what to do.

could some people maybe help, what do you think of the situations ive described.

also the other thing that worries me is obviously what people would think of me when they saw the living situation. i dont want to look like a bad breeder.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I am going to be totally honest here with you because thats just me!

I would be a little concerned about you whelping and rearing a litter on your own, you are just the same age as me and I dont feel I am educated enough, or brave enough to do it my self even though I saw my first litter when I was 9 from a foster bitch, and others from mums CC's through the years - I know just like me you have researched and tried to get all the information you can but its totally different when its you there doing it. CC's are generally really good with regards to whelping but you cant be to sure - but you really should have someone with you at the time that has experience in breeding.
Also will you have someone that can get you to a vets if needs be.

with regards to puppies being in the bed room - I do know others breeders that do this through choice, and then move them to a living room from about 4/5 weeks to get use to the goings on, and experience a new 'enviroment'.

with it being a pub I would be quite concerned with taking the pups out into the garden through the pub for toilet/play time due to other dogs having been on the pub grounds - even if not directly where they would do - some dogs maybe not vaccinated - therefore puppies could be at risk of infection.
Another thing that would worry me is the noise from down stairs, the last thing you need when a bitch is going into labour is a noisy enviroment it may cause her problems, becoming stressed, possibly rejecting puppies. She would need a quite, calm enviroment from about 5 weeks of pregnancy if you ask me - that for me would also include keeping other dogs out of her 'space' so she can relax in her whelping box as and when she wishes to - which may be hard if all in the same room.

I would not worry about people thinking bad of you for having puppies in such a situation - although I do feel some may be against it - just explain your reasons, if people dont agree with it they can always walk away.

Dont take that the wrong way please Chloe you know I think the world of you - and I know how hard it can be at our age knowing what to do for the best, hence im stuck as to if I should breed Karma or not. I spose I am just lucky I have mum that would kinda take over, and take all the responsiabilty from me - but I could get my own experience at the same time. Maybe speak to Cat and see what she says, she knows you plan to breed - I am sure she would be more than happy to talk with you about this, and let you know her own feelings.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
this section annoys me because i cant quote your thing!!

dont worry i dont mind you being honest trying to remember what you wrote now so i can reply...

the garden thing, no one from the pub has access to this space, no other dogs go in this space either, its literaly used for us and the dogs that live there to get in and out (theyve all been vaccinated)

getting to the vets, both his mum and dad drive as well as OH and hopefully i will pass in the new year (taken me long enough!)

and about experience, yes i know exactly what you mean, ive helped with rearing the pups at work, from a couple of days old, up to the time they leave... i havent whelped a litter though, and i know no one else in his house has (theyre not as dog mad as me dont even get me started on what they feed their dogs and stuff, whole other thread )

the noise thing, i didnt even think of that, its a quiet pub though (in the middle of nowhere, busy is 10 people max on a friday/saturday night) but yeah i get what you mean they have music on but its never really loud.

i will talk to cat i think but to be honest if im not mating her till summer, then i dont think she is even in season until may, so you never know when the time comes i might not even be there anyway!

i honestly do just want opnions, but im hoping we wont be in that situation for long.. we both want our own place but cant afford at the minute, and i dont really have a choice about moving in now nana has given me marching orders. and i best hurry up and learn to drive otherwise no more showing for me
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I do have to agree with DD, I know that we don't know each other but I do know how much you have researched and that you love your breed. However, I was in my breed for over 15 years before I was in a position to breed my first litter.

You need to have the time to be with mum and pups 24/7 for the first two weeks, (well you do in English Setters anyway), but away from people that have been outside and could unknowingly bring infections into the area that you are using as a whelping room. Mum needs to be able to go to the toilet without having to go anywhere that other dogs have access to, as you cannot know if they are innoculated etc.

Breeding is such a rewarding thing but it really hard work and heartbreaking at times...I've lost pups from each of my litters due to mum stepping on one, a freak of nature, and the dreaded fading puppy syndrome.

I haven't said anything different to DD really, just wanted to reiterate what she has advised.

Best of luck whatever you decide
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
thanks... it seems the sensible thing to do is not bother while im living at the OHs its not the most ideal situation. hopefully i wont be there forever. it just means daphni wont ever have a litter because shes three next year.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
what about Cat having the litter for you - I know thats far from ideal, but she is a nice bitch that has done well in the ring. You would not be the first to take a dog back to its breeders to have a litter.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thanks... it seems the sensible thing to do is not bother while im living at the OHs its not the most ideal situation. hopefully i wont be there forever. it just means daphni wont ever have a litter because shes three next year.
I know what you mean...I've had cracking bitches in the past but the timing was all wrong so I never got to have anything from them
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 07:55 PM
hmmm i suppose i could do that but it depends on what litters she is having herself next year. also i dont know if i could do that because id want them reared differently,like id want to wean them onto raw... and cat doesnt feed raw.

also dont know if i could have daphni away from me for that long

bit off topic but i wanted to put her to dita's olly?

we shall see what happens, hopefully i will win the lottery
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes I have seen olly in the ring he has done ok, since being brought over. But it would be an total outcross - so a risk.
I so much prefer the UK lines

I know what you mean about leaving her with someone else - I coulnt either. Big babies we are - and of course all breeders will raise pups slightly different.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
i did want to use cat's dennis but she said if i did because theyre so close gentically (theyre like cousins but she went into explainin dna and stuff) daphni's mum is dennis' aunty...
i like dennis because even though he is a bit big, hes done well in the ring, and hes producing nice puppies (including asbo) so i could put daphni to asbo but he wouldnt be old enough i dont think what age do people usually wait till to use a dog at stud?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >