Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
thanks

my hands/arms were terrible today first thing i noticed too- normally they are good (imo)....

my legs were horrendous when i started again 2/3 months ago - still not perfect but better....

i nag a lot though with my legs which is obvious on the video and i dont realise im doing it

i dont thnk im doing too badfor just coming back off a 4 year break though

thanks for the comments - i do appreciate them and take them on board
xx
Nope you are not, you are doing great... just a little tip, where your legs are concerned, got some long boots, its amazing the difference it makes,
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
yep and refused to wear them as they were getting messy

i paid £110 for them 4 years ago (then had to stop riding)!

but i have to put the horse out when ive finished riding and i cba going changing the shoes - hence muckers!

but thers another reason behind it (feel free to go omg..)... if i wear muckers my heels are pushed down as i know if i put my heels up - the stirrups goup and my ffeet get stuck lol... its a psychological and quite dangerous lol... effect

i wouldnt do it on any other horse - just know this ones safe

but i will wear long boots on riding lessons as they are ded compfy
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Get a pair of half chaps Katie, they're just as good as a pair of boots imo, if not better, I lived in mine, and you can just whip them off to walk up the field with the horse, and they won't get muddy! I couldn't have done any schooling without mine on, coz your legs tend to slip too much otherwise, you need a big of grip on the old legs!

I didn't notice you nag with them either, you have to keep that contact with the legs otherwise the horse will stop, you're driving him forward up into the bit with those legs afterall! Good job, and as Jackie says, I liked his movement when you were driving him too, almost a bit of an extended trot her did in the first video, he's a lovely boy, I've never ridden a great big cob, but I bet he was comfortable!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah he's comfortable... but prefer tb's

my next horse that i buy will be more tb type

tbh the moment i take my let off he would/does stop lol

hes a lovely horse tbh and i really enjoy riding him hes taught me a lot - its just poo that i have no job and i dont see me getting one this side of christmas :s
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Get a pair of half chaps Katie, they're just as good as a pair of boots imo, if not better, I lived in mine, and you can just whip them off to walk up the field with the horse, and they won't get muddy! I couldn't have done any schooling without mine on, coz your legs tend to slip too much otherwise, you need a big of grip on the old legs!

Good idea!!!!!!!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Was good overall, just a few pointers ..
your contact on his mouth should try and remain consistent- no matter what he does with his head- you should ignore that as much as possible.

With canter transitions- as others have said you need to remain upright with your upper body..think of it- to canter he needs to have the 'room' to help him lift off into canter and with you leaning forward you are putting more weight on his forehand, therefore making it harder for him to move into canter.
If you can ride without stirrups that would be very beneficial..it will improve your core balance and lower leg position and also if you do lots of transition..walk trot walk then even walk to canter..it helps teach both you and the horse to ask and respond to what your seat is asking of him rather than using your leg all the time.
(hope you get what im saying..im a riding instructor, so usually better speaking it than writing down!!)

Definately good for after a 4yr break!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Was good overall, just a few pointers ..
your contact on his mouth should try and remain consistent- no matter what he does with his head- you should ignore that as much as possible.

With canter transitions- as others have said you need to remain upright with your upper body..think of it- to canter he needs to have the 'room' to help him lift off into canter and with you leaning forward you are putting more weight on his forehand, therefore making it harder for him to move into canter.
If you can ride without stirrups that would be very beneficial..it will improve your core balance and lower leg position and also if you do lots of transition..walk trot walk then even walk to canter..it helps teach both you and the horse to ask and respond to what your seat is asking of him rather than using your leg all the time.
(hope you get what im saying..im a riding instructor, so usually better speaking it than writing down!!)

Definately good for after a 4yr break!!
thank you

yep - i get that - just putting it into practise thats the hardest bit!!!

my canter is my worst fault - my arms are usually good but tbh they were cr*p when i rode on that vid but tbh based on a month ago im quite proud of myself

i have a riding lesson a week wed with uni ! i was going to try for the team but im going to spend the next year just getting lessons and get upto scratch and be really confident next year to try out properly!

believe it or not 3 months ago i got back on a horse and i was shaking for the entire 30 minute lesson and coludnt even trot (ive had very nasty falls )

onwards n upwards - next vid i'll be flying over jumps (i wish !)!
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
aww well done hun ive not long started riding again riding without stirrups doing rising trot at the minute to strenghen my legs!! Your doing really well tho keep up the good work!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I used to have insurance with the British Horse Society, I think I paid £48 for the year, as a Gold Junior Member, and it meant I could do some of my Stage Exams too!
That reminds me, I need to renew my membership!!

xx
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I thought you looked good,a tip for asking for the canter that works is prepare to make a walk transition,then apply the canter aid,it keeps you in the saddle a little more,the horse did look lazy you might have to back up your leg with the whip,one more tip if you get more bend in your elbows he wont be able to get you off balance.but overall lovley job
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >