View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:55 PM
You look really good! Cobs are hard work at the best of times! I'm riding one currently, he's obese and lazy, but has potential!

I completely agree with what Shona said, ask around, there will be people that will be willing to let you ride, offer to muck out and stuff and get to ride for free! It's what I've done, (although, no mucking out! Horses live out all year!) and now I've got 2 15 year olds that I ride when ever I want, I'm allowed to take them out by myself, and am also getting to help bring on a 6 and 7 year old!!

x
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
thanks hun

its really sad as we just started to click but i realy cant afford it... millie is priority... i could quite easily pass over agility to my mum cause she wants millie!! but i wont as i love it lol!!!

so its horses or agility - agility won.... horses will always be there - my girly is getting older by the day...

i think know enough horse people to pick up rides
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 03:27 PM
It's much cheaper too!! And you make great friends out of it!!

I know what you mean about clicking, Ringo (the cob) and I have just started getting on really well, and he's getting slightly fitter, we clipped him completely, because he was sweating so much, and now he's gone lame! Good bye fitness!!!!!!!

xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
awww thanks H

i always tip before asking for canter -one of my worst ever habits!!! and tipping coming back down too

i just need to sit deeper in the saddle which i know i dont do

thanks for the tips xx

i think ive improved though from a month ago... with my feet (heels down) and my arms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNC_QSRSvlU

that was end of sept - i think ive improved?? (except the canter )

Yes, you're more relaxed, you're not rising too high with the trot like you were before ooops!, but if you want my honest opinion, I think you need to r-e-l-a-x more, coz you're getting flappy hands, keep 'em still!!!!! One of my old teachers used to put a piece of string across the front of the saddle, across the D rings I think, and she told me to touch that piece of string at all times, so that my hands were kept low and STILL! Lol! It's all in the mind Katie, when you're mind is relaxed and on the job, you'll find you will relax and so will those hands and the rest will just follow! I always judge a rider by their hands, I'm a hands addict, I like them soft and still, and believe it or not, you will get so much more out of the horse by having hands like that, trust me on that, don't forget I had a lunatic ID/Tb for 20 odd years!

Have you ever had lunge lessons with NO reigns??? That'd be good for you, ask your instructor they're great I used to love them! It will teach you to use your backside to get the results you want, and of course, give you fantastic balance! You must try them if you haven't already, they're really fun, and if you get panicky, you are allowed to hold the pommel of the saddle or the mane in dire emergencies of course!!!

You're doing fine, keep enjoying it, and you'll come on in leaps and bounds, just think about what you're doing up there and why, and it will all just click into place, you'll be at Hickstead next time I see ya!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
It's much cheaper too!! And you make great friends out of it!!

I know what you mean about clicking, Ringo (the cob) and I have just started getting on really well, and he's getting slightly fitter, we clipped him completely, because he was sweating so much, and now he's gone lame! Good bye fitness!!!!!!!

xx
oh dear!!! hope hes back in work soon!!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, you're more relaxed, you're not rising too high with the trot like you were before ooops!, but if you want my honest opinion, I think you need to r-e-l-a-x more, coz you're getting flappy hands, keep 'em still!!!!! One of my old teachers used to put a piece of string across the front of the saddle, across the D rings I think, and she told me to touch that piece of string at all times, so that my hands were kept low and STILL! Lol! It's all in the mind Katie, when you're mind is relaxed and on the job, you'll find you will relax and so will those hands and the rest will just follow! I always judge a rider by their hands, I'm a hands addict, I like them soft and still, and believe it or not, you will get so much more out of the horse by having hands like that, trust me on that, don't forget I had a lunatic ID/Tb for 20 odd years!

Have you ever had lunge lessons with NO reigns??? That'd be good for you, ask your instructor they're great I used to love them! It will teach you to use your backside to get the results you want, and of course, give you fantastic balance! You must try them if you haven't already, they're really fun, and if you get panicky, you are allowed to hold the pommel of the saddle or the mane in dire emergencies of course!!!

You're doing fine, keep enjoying it, and you'll come on in leaps and bounds, just think about what you're doing up there and why, and it will all just click into place, you'll be at Hickstead next time I see ya!

well tbh i have to give up this loan soon as i have no job as of friday (im being finished!) so have to go back to riding lessons - so tbh it will be a good thing in a way (trying to tell mysefl this lol) to get riding different horses/work on my position

thanks for the tips - i appreciate them - and i definately want to try no reins haha!!! done no stirrups and bareback - love riding with no stirrups -i feel safer (strange person i am)!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
If you get a friend to lunge you, you just hold a riding crop in your hands in front of you, you don't have to worry about the horse, she will take care of him, and all you have to worry about is staying onboard, but it teaches you sooooo much! Sorry about losing the job There'll be another one around the corner hopefully.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Orr, you could see if people would pay you to look after their horses!? A few friends of mine do this. They ride them a couple of times a week, and get paid like a tenner or something like that! If you could do that, then you are still getting a small income!!

I hope that Ringo is sound again, he's already had a month off down to lameness. It comes on really suddenly though, so we aren't sure if it's an underlying problem. I think he's off to a vets school on Monday, so fingers crossed it's not too bad and we can cracking again! The lady that owns him has got plans to get me and him competing in the summer next year!!

xx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
thanks H

im going to have lessons now and again and i can ask to be put on the lunge

current horse dosent lunge so tbh it will do my riding a favour really!

misty-pup - i would offer to look after other peoples horses but i dont know if they would let me - although im 'known' round here (in a good way!) i have no formal qualifications... im doing a degree in business management but thats about it lol! what about insurance for myself too?

i dont mind not riding and just working for money or working for rides tbh... (id even give up the riding for a year or so but just need to be around horses )

not sure whre to start though with your suggestion??
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I thought you looked really good well done,
the only wee tiny thing I noticed was, when he pushed his head down he knocks you a tiny bit of balance,
cobs are smart cookies, they learn quick all the little naughty things they can do, lol
Great video, agree with Shona and Helena, overall very good but you tend to lean a little forward, which will push him on to his forehand, then it becomes a vicious circle... you also tend to tilt your head down..(looking down0 which again will offset his balance, he has actually got nice paces when he exerts himself, noticed when you relax and give a little more with your hand he tracks up a lot better.

just one more thing (honest) some of the time you take up to much rain, you hands are half way down his neck, if you sit up and sit deep into your seat i think all these things will fall into place.

Sounds a lot of picking , but not really , over all fab!!!!!!!! practice makes perfect, and he is a lovely boy with lovely paces!!

Well done..
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Great video, agree with Shona and Helena, overall very good but you tend to lean a little forward, which will push him on to his forehand, then it becomes a vicious circle... you also tend to tilt your head down..(looking down0 which again will offset his balance, he has actually got nice paces when he exerts himself, noticed when you relax and give a little more with your hand he tracks up a lot better.

just one more thing (honest) some of the time you take up to much rain, you hands are half way down his neck, if you sit up and sit deep into your seat i think all these things will fall into place.

Sounds a lot of picking , but not really , over all fab!!!!!!!! practice makes perfect, and he is a lovely boy with lovely paces!!

thanks

my hands/arms were terrible today first thing i noticed too- normally they are good (imo)....

my legs were horrendous when i started again 2/3 months ago - still not perfect but better....

i nag a lot though with my legs which is obvious on the video and i dont realise im doing it

i dont thnk im doing too badfor just coming back off a 4 year break though

thanks for the comments - i do appreciate them and take them on board
xx
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >