Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Jaws may be back

The Sun

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of this newspaper, I think the photo speaks for itself. I'm not however convinced it's a Great White, more of a smaller predatory shark.

Think I need to buy a bigger boat although I'm not sure how we'll use a seal as bait though (sorry, couldn't resist)
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Now as hard as it is to belive I am no expert, but I would say that is to small to be a great white bite.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
More likley to be an Orca, (killer whale) the sea temp at this time of year is far too cold for sharks from warmer waters.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
now, i'm not a marine biologist - but i have done a marine biology course, and great whites are my passion!

there is no way that bite has come from a great white shark - and certainly not a 'jaws' sized one!!

i still find it amazing that a film still gets caught up with these animals after all the trouble they've had. Poor sharks. They are not human killers but are endangered due to that film!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:28 AM
NOOOO, that's not a great white bite by far, it's too small, and it's too cold here in our waters for them to visit !!

I'm with Nero, likely an Orca, they are quite happy in cold water and it could have been a baby practising !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I was going to say Orca too, we have no scale as to how big the seal is to even assess the size of the bite!
Becky
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Ooh for goodness sake! Its stuff like this that gets me all peed off! Its the sort of thing that will encourage stupid people to go out hunting for a big killer shark!
Sharks eat seals, thats what they do, thats life. It just so happens it may be a big shark (but no way is it a Great White, let alone a Basking Shark....why would they be brought into it!) and the result of the attack was washed up or whatever. It happens everyday. Thats life for a shark!

*breaths*

Oh and while Orcsa are occasionally found off the Uk coasts they are rarely seen. usually they are further north and usually in the summer. But the way things are going these days animals are acting wierd!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Now as hard as it is to belive I am no expert, but I would say that is to small to be a great white bite.
Whatever it was it will be big enough to put me off anyway