Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Greenhouse Tips please

OH bought me a Greenhouse, well one of those plastic varietys...........I love it, I am having problems with flies, I have put one of thoses 'sticky traps' up & caught a few out there are still quite a few

Another problem is I think somthing is eating some plants, what should I be spraying in there for that?

Hope you can help, my neighbour gave me a Tomato Plant which is thriving, he also gave me a cucumber plant but something has eatem one of the leaves already.:smt100
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 06:38 PM
You lucky thing, Sweep! I don't have a greenhouse, so no specific tips, but general pest control...

1. What kind of flies have you got? Sticky traps are a good general solution, but if you can identify the type, there might be something more specific you can do to get rid of the brutes. If they're big things, they could well be living off rotting matter, so give it a good old clean. If they're greenfly/blackfly then you really want some ladybirds in there Even if you do have to resort to sprays, the more specific you can be with the insecticide, the less damage you're likely to do to beneficial insects or your own tummies!

2. Have you had a good look at the leaves being eaten? Check under them for caterpillars or other larvae, and note any mottling or "dustiness" on the top or bottom surfaces. Get back to us with more info and we'll try to sort it out. At a first attempt though, try wiping/spraying the leaves with fairly dilute soapy water - most bugs don't like soap, so will avoid eating it if they can.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
You lucky thing, Sweep! I don't have a greenhouse, so no specific tips, but general pest control...

1. What kind of flies have you got? Sticky traps are a good general solution, but if you can identify the type, there might be something more specific you can do to get rid of the brutes. If they're big things, they could well be living off rotting matter, so give it a good old clean. If they're greenfly/blackfly then you really want some ladybirds in there Even if you do have to resort to sprays, the more specific you can be with the insecticide, the less damage you're likely to do to beneficial insects or your own tummies!

2. Have you had a good look at the leaves being eaten? Check under them for caterpillars or other larvae, and note any mottling or "dustiness" on the top or bottom surfaces. Get back to us with more info and we'll try to sort it out. At a first attempt though, try wiping/spraying the leaves with fairly dilute soapy water - most bugs don't like soap, so will avoid eating it if they can.
We check properly tomorrow & report back - Thanx
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Flies look like normal flies although some have longer bodies - also there is a lot of white poo type stuff

Have lost most of my plants

Tomato Plant is okay have 3 toms on there so far but plant looks a bit sad................should I remove any of the larger branches at bottom?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Could it be slugs/snails that are eating the plants ?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
Flies look like normal flies although some have longer bodies - also there is a lot of white poo type stuff

Have lost most of my plants

Tomato Plant is okay have 3 toms on there so far but plant looks a bit sad................should I remove any of the larger branches at bottom?

Sorry you have lost most of your plants, with the white poo type stuff is there a trail of shinny slime like stuff around, if so it could be snails or slugs, but without pics it's difficult to tell, as far as the Tomatoes go, they do tend to look a bit sad after a while, do you remove the side shoots, (new growth from where a leaf is joined to the stem, hope that makes sense), try not to let them dry out either, or you could end up with blossom end rot, black spots on the Tomato where the blossom used to be, hope this helps.
Christine