Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They are shot.
You see, I couldn't do that, just because the dog has outlived its usefulness to the hunt. It's beyond pragmatic, and just cold and cynical for me.

I can take the argument that the dogs are trained for this etc. but if that's the 'future' for an elderly hunt dog then I would rather they weren't trained for hunting at all.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
How are these dogs killed?
Shot.

Though Huntsman Clifford Pellow said they dont waste bullets on newborn pups, they dash out their brains on the concrete floor!

Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm very glad to hear you and your hunt haven't destroyed hounds but it horrifies me that others do. I understand you say you don't agree with it but it isn't acceptable that "it happens". That says to me that they are of no use to anyone, have no other function in life, unless they are excellent hunters - and when they've served their purpose - bye bye!
Used then discarded
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So you have no problem with people hunting for food, but you dont agree with killing it? Is that what you mean Azz? Because earlier you said its healthier.

Surely you must enjoy hunting for food and killing ready to eat? Or are folk supposed to be down right miserable when they do it?
I will try to be clearer Dawn

Killing animals for food first and foremost = OK
Killing animals for fun first and foremost = not OK

In other words it depends why they do it - if they are hunting their own food because they feel it is genuinely better/healthier for their family (or in the case of some) their only way to get food, then that's fine.

Particularly since it is arguably more ethical (and probably more humane) than the mass-farmed, ill-treated, antibiotic-and-steroid-ridden counterpart.

With regards to 'enjoying' killing for food - for me the loss of life is always tinged with sadness, even when it is for my own survival. I certainly would not create a ritual to 'celebrate' it - though appreciate that in some countries and cultures they do because they have very little else going on in their lives. No TVs, Internet, electricity, education etc...
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Cambridge Dictionary - Definition of A Blood Sport....

any sport that involves animals being killed or hurt to make the people watching or taking part feel excitement.

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I will try to be clearer Dawn

Killing animals for food first and foremost = OK
Killing animals for fun first and foremost = not OK

In other words it depends why they do it - if they are hunting their own food because they feel it is genuinely better/healthier for their family (or in the case of some) their only way to get food, then that's fine.

Particularly since it is arguably more ethical (and probably more humane) than the mass-farmed, ill-treated, antibiotic-and-steroid-ridden counterpart.

With regards to 'enjoying' killing for food - for me the loss of life is always tinged with sadness, even when it is for my own survival. I certainly would not create a ritual to 'celebrate' it - though appreciate that in some countries and cultures they do because they have very little else going on in their lives. No TVs, Internet, electricity, education etc...
Thanks.
So when we go rabbiting and give the rabbits to our friends etc for them to eat its ok, cos a couple of them are on hard times and its extremely helpful to them to have this meat, but not if we have a good evening out in the countryside with friends while we catch them?

Clear as mud my friend.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Shot.

Though Huntsman Clifford Pellow said they dont waste bullets on newborn pups, they dash out their brains on the concrete floor!

I'm not only totally shocked but absolutely disgusted at that comment OMG, terrible, terrible, terrible If I saw him doing such a heinous crime (and yes, it IS a crime!), then I'd gladly take a baseball bat to his head!!!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm not only totally shocked but absolutely disgusted at that comment OMG, terrible, terrible, terrible If I saw him doing such a heinous crime (and yes, it IS a crime!), then I'd gladly take a baseball bat to his head!!!
Barbaric isnt it!

Professional huntsman Clifford Pellow submitted his account to Lord Burns Hunting Inquiry.

http://harperaspreywildliferescue.co...ff_pellow.html

http://www.ifaw.org/sites/default/fi...0report_0.pdf#

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I would define 'killing for fun' where one enjoys the act of (or takes pleasure from) killing, or taking part in, an activity where an animal is killed.

If you like shooting - there are shooting activities that don't involve the killing of animals, such as disk/clay shooting.

Or there's always video games
How do you feel about slaughtermen? They voluntarily chose to work in that profession so inturn they must have a likening to do that type of work.There are plenty of other jobs out there so you cannot say they didnt have a choice.

So the next time i pull the trigger if i put a glum look on my face would that make it alright? What i do is a type of job-albeit unpaid,but nethertheless its something which has to be done-like an abbatoir worker.Farmers dont often have the time to maintain an effective pest control so rely on people like myself.

Oh,i do clay shoot too,but not video games-thats kids stuff.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 12:13 PM
You see, I couldn't do that, just because the dog has outlived its usefulness to the hunt. It's beyond pragmatic, and just cold and cynical for me.

I can take the argument that the dogs are trained for this etc. but if that's the 'future' for an elderly hunt dog then I would rather they weren't trained for hunting at all.
But then they wouldn't be bred, i think we have to accept that like it or not some people do not view their dogs as most of us do.
Page 15 of 21 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »