Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Vet raises alarm over arthritis medication

Does your vet prescribe this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-animals.html

When Sue and Robin McGibbon took their beloved labrador Abby for her annual check-up last month, they thought the most they had to worry about was slightly increased creakiness in her joints.
‘She’d had problems with arthritis for some time, but it was growing worse and we didn’t want to see her in pain,’ says Sue. ‘Our vet had always tried to treat her with homeopathic remedies, but this time he gave her an anti-inflammatory drug.’
The family took Abby home, hoping life would become more comfortable for her. Instead, she suddenly became seriously ill.
Could the drug that cost this beloved pet its life kill YOUR dog too? Vet raises the alarm over an arthritis pill prescribed to millions of animals

Tragic loss: Sue McGibbon and her labrador Abby, who died after being given the anti-inflammatory drug Carprodyl
For six days she suffered endless bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea before suffering paralysis in her hind legs. Eventually, Robin and Sue, from Bickley, Kent, felt they had no choice but to have her put down.
Now, the heartbroken couple and the vet who treated Abby are convinced the drug used to treat her actually killed her.
The drug was Carprodyl, which is widely used to treat millions of dogs in Britain and around the world.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Not that I m aware of Dillon had Rymadil for his problem and still has some left but we are only to use then if we feel necessary and at half the dose he was on. So far he hasn't needed any since 3pm Friday so fingers crossed it is sorting itself out.

I will remember that name and question it if it is ever mentioned. I know Rymadil has its problems too like they all do. Ollie couldn't tolerate Rymadil.

So sad for those owners thinking you are making your pets life easier and helping them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 06:29 AM
I've been prescribed Rimadyl for 3 of my dogs over the years, even Zena when she was only 6 months old, and never had a bad reaction to it with any of them, thank goodness. I was aware of problems with it though, coz I've read all about this drug and problems it has caused including death Such a sad shame for that poor dog One thing I do know is, you can never administer this type of drug to a dog who is on steroids, that's why Georgie could never have it, no matter how much pain he was in.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Unfortunately nothing in life is risk free and no drug is withou side effects.

Most people do not read the inserts that come with drugs (either human or animal) and thnk that everything that is prescribed is without risk.

Not true.

If a drug is so powerful that it can help you, it stands to reason that it can also present harm, in some cases.

This is no different than antibiotics, vaccinations etc all of which have killed people.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Carprodyl and Rimadyl are one and the same.
Some of my Boxers have had to have this pain relief over the years and (touching wood) all have been fine but am well aware of the risks - and they (vets) do advise to stop giving and contact them asap if your dog is giving cause for concern.

Guess it's like us humans some of us are reactive to some medications and don't know if we will have any side effects until we take them.

But it's always good to be aware of any concerns regarding any medications so you can look for anything untoward when giving to your dogs/cats.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:30 AM
The majority of owners don't seem to know that as soon as a dog vomits or seems off colour it is best to stop any and all medications and check the small print.

It is very sad but I have known a dog which died almost instantly after taking one dose of metacam (a rough collie). I still use it but any small signs of off colour and I stop.

Very sad for the owners.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Every time my dog has been prescribed NSAIDS (or anything else for that matter) the vet has said `if there`s any adverse effects, stop the medication and get back to me`.
Why would the owners allow their dog to vomit for a week?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
...[snip]...Most people do not read the inserts that come with drugs (either human or animal) and thnk that everything that is prescribed is without risk.
That sounds like my neighbour. She trots off to her GP complaining of various ailments, the GP hands her a 'scrip which she gets filled at the pharmacy. She then comes wandering in to me with the box/packet of meds and asks me what they are for and even how many should she take, and when [in spite of the fact that it is marked clearly on the label stuck to the packet which has her name on it].

When I ask where the insert is she says "oh, it is at home somewhere, maybe I threw it away" - and she has no idea why her GP told her to take them but expects me to look them up either in my copy of "Medic" or on the internet.

No doubt too many GPs are too busy to explain the whys and wherefores of all the meds the prescribe, and probably Vets are also too busy. But too many people accept a 'scrip - get it filled - and dose either themselves or their dogs without even knowing what to look out for in case of a problem arising.

And sometimes it takes "scare" headlines and stories in the Mail or other media in order for people to start thinking for themselves.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Every time my dog has been prescribed NSAIDS (or anything else for that matter) the vet has said `if there`s any adverse effects, stop the medication and get back to me`.
Why would the owners allow their dog to vomit for a week?
That's exactly what I was thinking. If that vet had just told me to monitor my dog I would of gone to a different vet and made them check it over. I certainly wouldn't of kept pumping my dog full of the drug either.

I think the owner was more responsible for the dogs demise than the actual drug.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Carprodyl and Rimadyl are both the same drugs, and any animal can suffer side effects, just as people can, they don't suit everyone.

Whilst it is tragic that this happened, i too agree that veterinary advice should have been sought straight away once these symptoms began. The owners should also have been informed of potential side effects and/or provided with the drug information leaflet.

RIP sweet dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >