Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:12 AM

The last time I'm hip scoring

Since losing a 2 year old setter to anaphylactic shock following a sedative, I've always had my heart in my throat when taking my setters for hip scoring.
Henry went this morning, I've just had a call from the vets to say he reacted, his heart slowed right down and they've now reversed the sedative, they say he is happy enough, his tail is wagging and he is fine...they didn't go on to do the hips as I had already told them not to do anything that would jeopordise him.
I'm leaving in a few moments to collect him, but that's it now, enough is enough, I'm ethical enough to know that they need to be scored for breeding but he won't be going down that route, he is far too precious to me.
I've made the decision that I won't ever have another dog/bitch hip scored so, therefore, will never be breeding again
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:44 AM
...why was he sedated rather than nice propofol?

people seem to think sedation is safer than a ga
altho im guessing it was domitor(or triple combination they used) which is the only one that has a 'reverser'

{{hugs}} sheree and a big one for your boy too,when u pick him up xx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I've just had a call from the vets to say he reacted, his heart slowed right down and they've now reversed the sedative, they say he is happy enough, his tail is wagging and he is fine...they didn't go on to do the hips as I had already told them not to do anything that would jeopordise him.
OMG Sheree I didn't know that it involved sedatives and such. I thought all 'hip scoring' involved was lifting each leg and gently pulling it to see if the movement was OK.

Is the heart slowing down a 'normal' thing in what other ways can the dog 'react' do they have to use a sedative
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh goes Sheree what a panic for you x

I was very lucky Maxy didn't react at all to the sedative.

Wish there was an easier way to get the scores done x

I'm hoping to go to the lady in Southampton where we had Max done as she was fantastic and only a very light sedative given.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
OMG Sheree I didn't know that it involved sedatives and such. I thought all 'hip scoring' involved was lifting each leg and gently pulling it to see if the movement was OK.

Is the heart slowing down a 'normal' thing: in what other ways can the dog 'react' do they have to use a sedative
yes it is...also this particular sedation can make the gums look a tad blue too.

its best imo to use a ga(propofol).. its safer imo( its tailored to what u are doing) you need 'perfect' pictures and you do not want to be pulling about an awake dog...let alone it has to be on its back with legs extended and hips rotated.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your setter that way previously, how awful My breed often have bad effects to sedation/anaesthetic, awful I can't imagine how worried you must have been. Thank god he's ok xx

I didn't realise too that they had to be sedated for this.

I have to say though, my god, what a fantastically ethically correct, but massive decision you have made.

I can't help believing, as others have mentioned, that there must be another way for you?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I'm so sorry for the loss of your setter that way previously, how awful My breed often have bad effects to sedation/anaesthetic, awful I can't imagine how worried you must have been. Thank god he's ok xx

I didn't realise too that they had to be sedated for this.

I have to say though, my god, what a fantastically ethically correct, but massive decision you have made.

I can't help believing, as others have mentioned, that there must be another way for you?
with 'athletic' breeds it is usually part of a 'premed' called acp they should not have!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree with tupac...GA i safer than sedation. I believe that is because they have 'full control' of the dog, rather than just a dozy/sleepy one.

Hope he is ok sheree.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:27 PM
OMG.... Sheree, big huggs for you and Henry.
You have me worried now, I was about to book Kyesh in for his, but need to talk to Maud, as Ky had a really really bad reaction to Epicac (he swollowed a sock; another story), has left him with darkness fear. ES are a totally different species I think, and do not need the same amount of anything as other doglets of the same size, but do need corpious amounts of Love, which I am sending your way now. Gayle. Xxxx
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hear this, what a worrying time.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »