Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Does flavour matter

Do you think dogs get fed up being fed same flavour day in day out. We buy a big 15KG bag that lasts about a month, one dog eats so quick i don't think he even tastes it, but was wondering do they get fed up, the vet says no but still wonder if they get bored.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 07:16 PM
You could always add a little something thats what i do, sardines, pilchards, some cooked mince, scrambled egg, a bit of cheese just to pep it up a bit and make it a bit more varied

The only thing is you make a rod for your own back because my two won't eat dry kibble without anything on it !!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I read somewhere that dogs haven't as any taste buds as humans and they go more by smell.

I agree with the other poster above and if mine are fed kibble I add bits to it like chicken or sardines to make it more tasty.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I always add somethi g to kibble too
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Thorgeir gets fed kibble, and wolfs it down whether there are additives or not (usually not). I doubt that you need worry.

Snorri
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Well, even a wolf's diet would be fairly similar day to day, depending which prey was most readily available. I do like to give mine variety, but this is also because they're raw fed and giving variety covers more vitamins and minerals.
Perhaps you could try to find a few kibble brands that they like and agree with them and switch every month or so - if you're worried about upset tums from changing, buy your new bag before the old kibble runs out and mix it in with the last bits. Or maybe see if a local dog owner would go halfs on two 15kg bags so you both have 15kg each of two different flavours (and still get the savings of buying in bulk)? If you do add other things to the kibble, just remember that if you add too much it will unbalance the diet so do it in moderation, and be prepared that you may end up with a dog who refuses to eat plain kibble, which may be unhelpful in a situation where someone else needs to feed the dog for you/they need to be kennelled or similar.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Flavour (even for us) has more to do with scent than taste. Taste only does a few flavours, whereas scent picks up a lot more. Kibble doesn`t really smell of much (I assume) so I added a spoonful of something interesting to perk it up with a fussy dog.
Mine are on raw now and the fussiness has disappeared entirely.
Jukesgirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:25 AM
The dogs i had as a kid were fed basically the same thing every day with a bit of variation from time to time and they wolfed it down every time.

My current dog, Ruffus, is unbelievably fussy - i finally found a food he likes and i add dog gravy to it and he loves it. If there is meat or fish or something in the house then i will add it to it to make it a bit different and this seems to have got him eating more normally than when he first arrived.

I suppose dogs can just be fussy some times ... good job we love them!
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Missy is very fussy - and stubborn. She can turn her nose up at dinner for two days in a row if just dried food, I then get panicky and end up mixing a bit of our leftovers with her kibble. Occasionally feed Ceasar but not all the time, her teeth are prone to tarter build up becuase she has an overbite so try to feed her more dried food and raw chicken wings.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2010, 09:03 AM
A dog's sense of taste isn't as good as ours, although their sense of smell, is obviously much better. The only fussy eater I've had, very old rescue girl, I swapped to raw in the end, as she used to eat a type of food for a week, and then turn her nose up. She was in pretty poor shape when I got her, and although slightly overweight from poor diet and lack of exercise, I really didn't want to tough it out with her for too long.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >