Dogsey Veteran

29-05-2005, 10:42 PM
it hasn't happened yet - and I've been here for about 5 years
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Thanks Emm.... think I'll risk a quick trip to the garden then! Can't the cats carry the mite back to the dogs though?
Tuti don't be afraid of the fox, it won't not harm you, it will be very scared and will run away, I am surrounded by them. The one I saw in the field is old and ill that is why it was out in the day time.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I know Mini I'm not scared for me cos I always see them in the garden, I've gotten quite close to them before. Before Archie came there was one who used to come in and sit on the garden chairs, I know if I got too close they would just run away, but I was scared for Archie as I didn't know what would happen if he confronted the fox
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know what happens if a fox and dog meet?
Yes I do!

Your Terrier was originally bred to kill Foxes, some, although not may wires still do.
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 12:44 PM
lol @ BD.... I know, stupid question wasn't it...

Should have phrased it better: How would the fox react? (I know Archie might be keen on giving it a go when he's older, but right now he's a bit of a coward )
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I would be the same as you Tuti...scared for my dogs....and i have 2 staffies!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Foxes can easily out run domestic dogs and are also scared of them so will take off before anything could ever happen.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 02:16 PM
The Fox would defend itself and they can do a LOT of damage. Terriers learn how to handle Foxes and most of their work is done underground, so is out of our hands really, but you get a feel for whether a dog is good enough or not. I think most wires would be too big to go to ground, so if Archie chases one don't worry too much!

My Terriers have been marked over the years but not badly, Borders are good Fox dogs, if you get a decent one, but as with all Terriers, not all are cut out for it.

If you have no intention of Archie doing any work, keep him away from those "Reynards" they can inflict a lot of damage.
Dawn,
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

30-05-2005, 02:22 PM
the foxes where I am mix with other animals without problems - people even take it in turns to leave food for them

if your dog attacks a fox then I think the fox has a right to defend itself - in most cases the dog will do much more harm than a fox
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I guess it probably depends on what experiences the fox has had with dogs

Dawn, I'll keep Archie away from foxes as I don't intend to work him. He knows that chasing animals is not allowed anyway so I'll keep reinforcing that The silly dog only chases pigeons as he hasn't realized he can't fly!!

Emm I agree, the fox has every right to defend itself. But i don't intend on allowing Archie into any situation where a fox has to defend itself from him
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »