Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Advice on over-protective dog

Finally!!

We have found a rescue centre that has shown an interest in us rehoming one of their dogs!

She is a 6yr old Collie x GSD. She's great with cats & other dogs but she's been with them for 6 months.

I had a chat with a lady called Amy today about Jess. She said that Jess has been with them so long because she has a very high guarding sense.

Obviously we will be speaking when go to the centre (on Sunday - we're in Avon and the rescue is in Shepton Mallet).

They said she has an excellent temperament (when she knows you) and has a really good memory. She travels well and likes running about etc. LOVES ball games

Her problem is new people in her home. She is okay if she is shut in another room, new person comes in and sits down. When the room is relaxed, you let her back in and as long as the new person ignores her for a bit, she's cool. They said she would probably be okay with someone that came round regularly but, again, would take some getting used to.

We don't have many people to come to our house which is why the rescue were very interested in us. I stated on the form that my partner's daughter would be over regularly but that also my 3 yr old niece and my partner's younger brothers who are 11 and 13. Mind you, they haven't been over once since we moved here (we moved here in May). Plus my Dad comes over occasionally.

Is it possible to help a very guarding dog to learn to trust our "opinion"? Do you think its not a good idea to house a dog when we don't regularly have children here? My partner's daughter usually comes over by routine, every other weekend but sometimes, as you would expect, this can change to two weekends in a row and we don't see her for two weeks (but they did say she had a good memory).

The lady at the centre said we needed to see her at her worst. Her kennel is right by reception and if you go towards her and/or make eye contact with her she, and I quote, "goes ballistic".

Opinions please.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I am not really experienced enough to give you an opinion on it, however i think you need to meet jess and see what you think initially.

However the fact that they are considering you when you have visiting children etc does say alot about what they think the dogs issues really are.

good luck xx
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Initially they said no to us because Jess has these issues and was concerned because I'd put that the kids might visit (although the form didn't give enough space to say that they had never actually visited!).

My partner and I discussed it throughout the afternoon and reached the conclusion that it wouldn't be that bigger problem for us seeing as we've only had about three or four different visitors since we moved in. And the ones we have had have all been adults.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Ta for writing that in Vicki was about to do it myself!

Back on topic!
First of all make sure the rescue is reputable and ask if you an speak to their behaviourist. Ask what after adoption support you could expect.Find out everything that you possibly can about her past.

On a positie note for her,she may be very kennel stressed,also if she has the slightest inclination to guarding, a kennel is the worst place for her as everytime se barks, the people leave...job don, behaviour reinforced. Of course, for you, that could create noise problems as similar things happen to dogs that bark at the postman or passersby...

Biff, our x breed, barks at guests, largely for atention. The people he knows he screams at in pleasure, but generally, if people visit we shut him in a different room for 20 minutes then introduce him and generally he'll be fine then. It's more of a nuisance, but he does scare people.

Jess is also part GSD and I know from experience that they LOVE the sound of their own voices...even the crosses. You will probably never get her to stop barking.

Hope this helps
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi there.

Jess sounds a lot like our Stumpy (though she didn't guard her kennel when she was there).

Personally I think things round the house can be managed, providing you are never likely to have friends/family wanting to actually stay with you. But you need to think about it very seriously to understand just how potentially dangerous Jess could be if you got an introduction wrong etc. Barking is one thing, but presumably they don't know with Jess whether it would lead to a bite if she still felt threathened.

I would also really want to see how she was out and about with other dogs and people. Whilst I think that guarding can be managed at home, it gets far more stressful if she starts to show this behaviour outside and the difficulty is, you might not really know whether she's likely to do it until she has bonded with you and feels that you are worth guarding.

How confident are you around dogs? To own a dog like this, seeing them snapping/snarling and barking mustn't phase you at all (though obvious you shouldn't be blase about it), because if she senses your fear, it will make everything much, much worse. You must be prepared to handle her in this state. If you don't think you can do that, I don't think this dog is for you.

Fingers crossed though, let us know how you get on.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I had a dog for 12 years with that description... When I got visitors, he was let outside, until the visitor sat down at the table... Then he was fine. When he'd met the person once and liked them, they could arrive at any time...

A few times Zenta met people he didn't like, and I trusted his judgement....

Zenta never hurt anyone, but I was very careful with him... He was never outside, while I was gone... and new people sitting down, before he came inside...

I have photos of Zenta with kids and if anyone wants to see them, I'll post them...

I reckon I would take the dog on, and just implement some precautions.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I've never actually owned a dog but am reasonably confident around them. My OH has done (staffys, spaniels & cavaliers) so he is confident.

As I understand from the rescue, she's good around most of dogs and people when she's out and about, its just if they come to her home.

As I understand it, that's why the last home she was in had her put in to the kennels ... because they got frustrated that she had to be put in another room every time someone came round. That said, will definitely trying to find out as much as possible about her and, if we like what we hear, we shall ask to see her out and about and see (if she'll let us) take her out for a walk.

(I'm taking a tennis ball as my secret weapon!)
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Phoned the rescue centre and we are now going to see her this afternoon! (How excited am I?!). Just have to persude OH to get his **** off the sofa and get dressed! (Its his birthday today and he wants to laze!) grr

Also, slightly off topic here but having a home check with West of England Greyhound rescue this week one day after work! They had a couple of dogs on their website the other day that were cat-friendly so fingers crossed there too!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2008, 05:32 PM
How did it go?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2008, 06:16 PM
ooh, sounds like a couple of possibilities then.

As Ramble says, how did it go today?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >