Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Hi Galty
If the dogs are trapped correctly why have 301 trainers or owners signed this petition to have the system changed? Please read the text of the petition which confirms what I have stated.
http://petitions.tigweb.org/Seeding

Yes - indeed the dogs sometimes do pick themselves up and continue to run because the adrenalin is still pumping and the poor dog feels little pain whilst racing.

An ideal example can be seen in this video where the dog clearly sustains an injury and continues to race hard, despite being unable to put any pressure on his leg once the race has finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f7Rm25-1o

Not propaganda Galty - the truth!
Whats weird about that? Dogs will run when they are harmed, Cats runs when they are hurt, Horse, most animals do, cant see the relevance.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Hi Galty
If the dogs are trapped correctly why have 301 trainers or owners signed this petition to have the system changed? Please read the text of the petition which confirms what I have stated.
http://petitions.tigweb.org/Seeding

Yes - indeed the dogs sometimes do pick themselves up and continue to run because the adrenalin is still pumping and the poor dog feels little pain whilst racing.

An ideal example can be seen in this video where the dog clearly sustains an injury and continues to race hard, despite being unable to put any pressure on his leg once the race has finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f7Rm25-1o

Not propaganda Galty - the truth!

Thanks for putting up the link to Micks petition,I read it over a year.

It makes my point and makes your statment that RM on BAGS put wide runners in trap 1 a lie
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Yes your right, they buy dogs, train them and race them, but of course their intent is not for them to get hurt, but the point being made as i read it was there is a high probability that they will and by knowinh this and putting their dogs in the races, what care do they have for them.Would you put your dog in a situation knowing that it was likely to be injured???????

You assume that by putting your animal in danger (as you see it) that owners dont care for their animals....

Injuries happen, its a hazard of life, when you take your dog to the woods, /park, it could collide with another while racing /playing round, (the likelihood is high) when they are in pursuit of one and other running full pelt round a field.

Are you willingly putting your animal in danger in that scenario,

What about horses, everytime you take one over a jump/ race or gallop it, there is a chance it may injure itself, riding xcountry , the chances are higher, when jumping solid fences...falling in ditches, can easierly break a leg.

Are the owners of these animals less caring because there is a chance something may go wrong, even with all saftey regulations set in place.

Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Yes they are there for racing, and i have no problem with working dogs, but that means the dogs deserve the very best care, which in my experience they clearly do not get.No of course the owners/trainers will not want them to get injured because your right its a loss of money to them. But its a lot cheaper to have a dog destroyed than to give it vet treatment and keep it, especially then when they can no longer run. Here is the problem!
As for you comparison with pet dogs, i see none. They are out with their owners who care for them and protect them.

But as in all things in life , you will get many a pet owner who cares little about the welfare of their dog..its all down to individuals, some care , some dont, be them owners of working/sporting or simply pets.

Again regards owners caring for their dog, in my youth I worked in a training yard... those dogs were better cared for than many a "pet dog"
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dogs will run when they are harmed,
That was Jodie's point.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
That was Jodie's point.
Then she has proved it John, wouldnt matter whether the dog was playing, running, racing, doing agility or otherwise would it?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Injured dogs may continue to run in other situations but, in this instance, Jodie's point, with which you appear to concur, was a rebuttal of Galty's inference that, because a fallen dog continues to run, it is uninjured.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Injured dogs may continue to run in other situations but, in this instance, Jodie's point, with which you appear to concur, was a rebuttal of Galty's inference that, because a fallen dog continues to run, it is uninjured.

That was not my inference at all as well you know

Will spell it out again.

Jodies video showed a lot of races where dogs fell over and between these races statements where written such "9 cadavers where sent to Liverpool uni"

None of these videos showed the dogs getting up and running on hence my quote of PROPAGANDA
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2009, 01:17 PM
If you accept that the dog continuing to run after a fall is not an indication of evidence that the fall was not catastrophic then I am at a loss as to why you are complaining that it is not shown.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Greyhounds Found in Appalling Conditions

A man has been jailed for 3 months after being found guilty of starving two greyhounds in what Judge Desmond Zaidan has described as a ‘difficult and disturbing’ case.

"They are desperate, they are really bad," commented the judge. "You can literally count every single bone on these dogs."

Twenty year old Thomas Daly from Carbury, pleaded guilty to two charges of animal cruelty before Kildare District Court.

Anonymous tip offs to both Paws Animal Rescue and Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary prompted the ISPCA to investigate the complaints. Inspector Conor Dowling told the court that on October 7 last year, they found a white female dog shut into a dirty cattle trailer that had not been cleaned for two weeks and another dog living in a pen alongside with no shelter and which was strewn with faeces.

Mr Daly told the court that he lived with his parents in a remote area and had not been at school since he was 14 – occasionally working as a farm labourer. He said a friend had rang and asked him if he wanted the dogs, which were later left by his friend ‘at the top of the lane’.

The greyhounds are earmarked and clearly bred for racing but the Irish Greyhound Board could find no current records of previous owners.

Sentencing Mr Daly to 3 months imprisonment for each offence – to run concurrently - Judge Desmond Zaidan ordered Mr Daly be assessed and receives counselling from a psychologist regarding cruelty to animals.

Along with the custodial sentence, Mr Daly was banned from keeping dogs or any other animals for life and also fined €750 on each count of cruelty and ordered to pay ISPCA costs of €454.

Both greyhounds have now successfully been rehabilitated and re-homed.

Please click on the links to see the fantastic work of Paws and Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary

http://www.paws.ie/

http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/

http://www.greytexploitations.com/latest-news

Direct your attention to the statement made in bold capitals as this is the main point of the poster.

I did ignore this when first posted.

The truth is and was posted on an ANTI Greyhound site by Orchard to refute this lie made by Jodie on her site and picked up by spot

This dog was breed for racing and was sold for racing, the breeder filled in all the proper paper work, the buyer did not fill in his return form and did not race the dog, the dog never raced under IGB rules
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
The first video is bad but it doesn't give you dates etc and over what timescale of when the falls occured, obviously watching dogs fall in quick succession like that is awful, it has been made in that way and for that effect, but on the flip side there are thousands of races (when you consider how much racing there is) where all the dogs come home without falling but whose going to be interested in that?

The last video you've put up is of independant racing not GBGB registered where there is a vet at every meeting to deal with such injuries at the time they occur. I believe a vet should have to be present at the Independant tracks so that the dog in the last video could get immediate care. That said though we don't know if that dog was taken to a vet on the way home and unless proved otherwise it's wrong to try and give the impression that it was just left.
It really needs to be looked at in balance and based on good factual evidence and not just from one side.
I fail to see how relating the number of injured dogs destoyed to overall dogs raced - in terms of percentages - justifies the carnage. Estimated to be 1,500 annually - is this number not an issue for you?

How much time do you think the vet is allocated to inspect prior to and after racing AND treat injuries?

As regards the 'impression that it was just left' - you will have to take that up with the BBC, as they made the film.

Unfortunately the racing industry consistently fail to supply 'good factual evidence' of good welfare - I wonder why?
Page 45 of 157 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 95 145 > Last »