Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Missing the good due to the bad?

I was just curious how many people have ever not really appreciated how good their dog is due to focussing on one or two problems their dogs have?

For example.... for a while (not any more) I was so caught up on improving alfies behaviour/recall round/near distractions, that if things didn't go to plan on a walk it would get me down a bit.... until mum said to me "I don't think you realise how well behaved he is generally..... have a think about it", so I did, and in thinking about it he is a total dream to own in all aspects (apart from recall - but we have been working on this for a few weeks now a lot and he is getting loads better and I know his lack of a decent recall is my fault not his, so possibly should be MY bad behaviour not his... but you get the idea ).

Now if things don't go to plan, we "forget" it, think about the times he was good on the walk, and just start again the next time, or do some training a bit later in the house.

Was just wondering if anyone else has ever done this?
If so - I urge you to have a think and focus on the positives when dealing with the "issues" as it will make you feel better - which I am assuming will make training the issues easier too!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I can see what you mean! Our family dog, Minka, is terrible for barking when people come down the stairs or walk past the house.... but you can open the door without her charging out, and leave food on the floor without her daring to go near unless you gave her the go ahead. Shes actually really clever apart from barking at the stairs!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I can see what you mean! Our family dog, Minka, is terrible for barking when people come down the stairs or walk past the house.... but you can open the door without her charging out, and leave food on the floor without her daring to go near unless you gave her the go ahead. Shes actually really clever apart from barking at the stairs!
Yeah that is exactly the kind of thing I mean!
I think it can be hard with one issue, to see all the good things without being told to REALLY have a think about it!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:39 PM
What a lovely positive idea for a thread
all too often we look at the bad without seeing (and rewarding) all the great things our dogs do
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
What a lovely positive idea for a thread
all too often we look at the bad without seeing (and rewarding) all the great things our dogs do
Thank you
I thought if it even helps one person to feel better then it is worth it! I know myself it can be tricky to think about the good, especially if no-one "reminds" you to!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Thats why I keep a diary and blog (which I need to update) of all the good things Louie does.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Its nice to be reminded of this i know i am guilty of thinking like this. If he lunges or snaps at another dog on a walk i tend to focus on that and forget that he may have passed and greeted a dozen other dogs before and after. I have to remind myself that he has come on alot and in other ways he is a really well behaved dog. I must say reading some of the threads on here does make me feel better sometimes

I did try keeping a written diary but i'm useless at it and keep forgetting to write in it so gave up
elkjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 03:42 PM
what a good thread i am also guilty of this my ESS does not like dogs that run up to her and tells them off in no uncertain terms people often tell me what a aggressive dog she is and stupidly i agree, and walk away feeling bad. But she is really good in the house you can take her on holiday, she does well at dog training doing my CAP three with her she is brill with people all shapes and sizes good with noise and crowds and when properly introduced to another dog will happly spend time with it, and she is only eighteen months. I think at times we expect to much
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the nice comments

I just know how it can get you down about the "one" thing they did instead of the 20 good things.

It just makes you feel so much better not being so dead set focussed on the bad thing, so thought I would share/remind people to have a think about the positives
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Oh yes, i'm totally guilty of focussing on my dogs bad points and not seeing the good. It always takes somebody else to point out their positives before I go "oh yeah, they arent that bad after all".

Yesterday proved that with Flynn and I dont think i've ever really realised how good Jed is at obedience before I changed trainers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >