Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Booked our first show - jess - newfie

Well i've done it, booked on line today, we are going to the welks show at the end of april

Had a bit of a moment last week and panicked, saw all the "experts" at crufts, came home and did more practice with jess and it went badly wrong. So in a silly panic telephoned my friend and told her i wasn't entering the welks show. (time of the month, and nerves kicked in ).

Anyway,, done more practicing this week and it must have been a blip as she has stood really well and moved just lovely. So i did it. Got to say though at the end of april i will be a bag of nerves, i just want to get the first show out of the way. Its very nerve racking when you have never shown before but i am a little excited as well. I also have a good friend showing me the ropes so hopefully a good day out.
kathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Good luck at your first show, hope you thoroughly enjoy it. As a family we have been showing dogs for a number of years but only my husband and daughter actually handled in the ring but now as a senior citizen I have bitten the bullet and started to handle in the ring.and have had a reasonable amount of success so go knock em dead!!!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah, you go girl. Have a great day out with the dog.

Just enjoy it, don't expect the pup to be perfect, they never are at 6 months, and it's only right that they shouldn't be. They are only babies, not robots.

Have a lovely time, and good luck.

Dawn R.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:37 PM
thanks both of you, i plan to enjoy it. I just hope i don't go flat on my face

It will be good fun and were going for a good day out, anything else would be a bonus
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 08:39 AM
My first show was WELKS and we got a 4th, it was quite a big class but 4th - so near and yet so far!
Just try not to go first, I found when I was a novice that I barely heard what the judge was asking me to do, if you watch the first few and concentrate on what they are doing, (as you will be doing the same) it might ease the nerves a bit!
Good luck.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 09:01 AM
well shiba, i have yet to book kaviks first show, i will be a buncle of nerves too on the day , practice is going well so far , occasionally get a day where he messes around but hey hes still a baby we will get there . Good luck in your show .
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Wishing you all the best for your first show appearance. Go knock 'em dead!
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2007, 12:02 PM
good luck on your 1st show,hope you come home with rosettes and place cards.can you not enter a few small open shows as practice before hand so you are not thrown in at the deep end at a champ show
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Well done for taking the plunge - just go and enjoy the day - gosh I remember my first show too - abosolutely dreaded it! But remember its just for fun!

Watch what others do and you'll be fine!

Good luck!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Good Luck
Unfortunately they have split the Working and Pastoral Groups so you are on a different day. I'm hoping I might be there Working day with my leo mates so will get over to egg you on
Remember in the ring.
1 Remember to put your ring number on from the bench (silly I know but I kept forgetting it when I started, as they're are given out in the ring at Open Shows)
2 Don't go first. Go in the middle.
3 Make sure you leave plenty of room from the dog in front of you. Some people will bunch up behind you so give yourself room to move forward if need be.
4 Don't get pushed into a corner. Always stand on the straight edge of the ring.
4 ENJOY YOURSELF. It's only a show
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >