Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2015, 07:42 PM

New addition to the family

A lovely neighbor of ours passed away recently.and we are taking on his dog. shes a 4 year old border collie called Babe. (have to change my user name i think)
Ben and her are already friends.he has allowed her in the garden and in here.which is a good sign. so going to invite her in for a day and see how it goes. Bens 14 and has his own ways, hes a lazy boy enjoying his golden years. she was staying with her master when he went to live with his son. and hes also got a very ill wife whos waiting on a kidney transplant. and Babe is a rather energetic girl who needs a few walks. ive always said she would benefit from agility training. shes very bright. so fingers crossed its all good. got a friend whos got a neighbor who trains border collies. so shes there for help. 4 isnt too old to train a dog is it. she knows the sit and down command. but my neighbor used to let her get away with anything she wanted. was funny to see him take her out on his mobility scooter with his white cat following on behind. so im hoping we can give her a good life. Our boy Ben is almost 14 and hasnt had a bad life. he enjoys his holidays in the tent. although 2 of them in the car is going to be fun.have to get a bigger car??
oh well ill let u all know how it goes. no doubt ill be asking advice from the border collie owners of the group. and yaaa more doggy pics to fill up my phone with lol.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing Babe Exciting stuff
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Congrats on your new dog, even if it's a very sad way for her to come in to your life.
It sounds as if she would benefit from some clicker-training, and I think you're right, she'd love agility, maybe flyball if you have a local club? Or if you like the idea, dancing with dogs - bc's seem to have a particular talent for it.
Anyway, it sounds as if it's going to be an exciting time for you and for her!
Pics please!!
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Congratulations on the new arrival - well done for taking her on after she lost her master. Looking forward to seeing lots of pics of Babe (and Ben too of course)
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2015, 09:23 PM
What a lovely thing to do, congratulations on the new arrival, looking forward to the pic.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2015, 09:29 PM
A border collie is never too old to learn... My boy was 10 and wasnt allowed to run anymore when I taught him signs to find tennis balls Id hidden on the field..

It took him just an hour or so to cotton on to what I was trying to tell him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Hello Cathy congratulations on your new addition, I hope Babe gives a new lease of life to Ben.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Going to give her *uncle* a call over the weekend.and make arrangements for her to pay us a visit. ill ply her with some treats,shes a sucker for a bonio lol.take them both for a walk, ill have 1 in front eager to walk and ben behind wanting to stroll along at his pace.should be interesting. as long as she dont hit bens hips he will be ok. he will let anyone know when they are hurt.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Congratulations! Yes definitely agility, lots of daily exercise and daily training, oh and did I mention lots of exercise? We had a Border Collie, sadly had to rehome her when she became too much dog for a small apartment and long work hours.
But BCs are possibly one of the brightest dog breeds on the planet but you have to keep them occupied and challenged. A bored BC will find ways to entertain themselves...something that's not pretty. Oh and lots of exercise...Ferdie ran me into the best shape of me life. A half hour stroll through town, we did it in under ten minutes.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2015, 08:46 PM
im looking forward to seeing here again. shes quite a stick fiend. george had a collection of sticks by his back gate. ill be ringing up and arranging a day stay to see how ben is with her. introduction over the park ect. walk together then back here armed with bonios her favorite. she was quite a chunky girl but gary (the son) put her on a proper diet.now with regular walks she will trim down.also to check her paperwork to show the vet. im hoping shes been done(got a feeling no) ben wouldn't bother her bad hips and a jaffa lol havnt had to pay out for a dog spay for years, Bens was enough all them years back.