View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Sandgrubber you`ve put it better than I could. If she settles great,but if not then medicating her to make her "fit" her new life goes against all I want for her.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi Meg it`s been crap I won`t lie! It is early days and she`s definitely the worst affected out of all of us. All you`ve said makes so much sense,tbh I`m so stressed by it all it`s hard to think logically! I knew you lot would be able to help with some calm,sensible feedback,thankyou so much xx
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Losos I`ve met both sets of neighbours,both are nice people. They mentioned that the previous owner had lots of dogs that barked all the time at everything. I don`t know if they mentioned it to her or not. I`m probably being paranoid and have read too many negative stories about this sort of thing,thank you.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Hi brenda1 thanks for replying. I never thought of the homeopathic route! I started her on zylkene 5 days before the move and for the first week as advised by the vet. She also has a dap collar. We`ve been separated for a year now, my ex loved Cerin as much as I do but she hasn`t seen her in all that time. I`m off to google those remedies now.
Hi G.G. rather than rehoming her with strangers if she doesn't settle happily could you not ask your ex to have her as she loved her too.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Hi Margaret my ex is renting,no pets allowed,otherwise it would have been a perfect solution.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Losos I`ve met both sets of neighbours,both are nice people. They mentioned that the previous owner had lots of dogs that barked all the time at everything. I don`t know if they mentioned it to her or not. I`m probably being paranoid and have read too many negative stories about this sort of thing,thank you.
When we moved here I knew that Rianna would bark, especially when strangers were around because that is what I trained her to do at our old place which was really remote and we needed to know if anyone approached our house.

So with these neighbours I printed off a copy of 'The ten dog barks' and gave it to them, they were surprised but being intelligent people they took it and I think they have read it.

Not all of them are reliable but the three short barks in rapid succession and repeated after a minute or so is 100% with Rianna.

I think everyone is worried about prowlers and burglars these days and dogs are an excellant early warning system and in our case they never bark unless there is some reason (of course that might be a cat prowling around ten houses down the street) although it's true some dogs bark due to mental or physical conditions, hopefully none of yours.

If you would like I can post the 'Ten dog barks' thing on here and you can print of some copies although it seems first you need to sort out the one who is not taking the new situation so well. Good luck with that.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Losos `the ten dog barks` are such a good idea I could take them round to both sets of neighbours. Cerin is also the three short barks kind of dog,and we were the same as you,so remote that it was nice to know when someone uninvited was around.
She does seem slightly more relaxed tonight so I`m keeping hopeful,cheers.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2015, 06:05 PM
G.G,sorry you're going through this,huge changes for all involved.Totally understand you feeling stressed,it's up there in the top three most stressful things in life.Like you said Cerin is a sensitive girl,if truth be told she's probably more worried about you than anything else.My advice would be...give it time,she'll come round you'll see.She is obviously much loved and well taken care of.Its good that's she seems a bit more relaxed tonight,my guess is,you are too and she's picking up on that
Hang in there(( hugs))
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi Lacey10 thank you for that,positive words and hugs work wonders at a time like this! She's a little happier again this morning,not herself but it's still an improvement. I think your right about me being more relaxed so she is,everyone on here has been so helpful and honest,I really appreciate it cheers
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Here you go:-

What Your Dog is Trying to Tell You When They Bark
10 Dog Barks Translated

1. Continuous rapid barking, midrange pitch: "Call the pack! There is a potential problem! Someone is coming into our territory!" Continuous barking but a bit slower and pitched lower: "The intruder [or danger] is very close. Get ready to defend yourself!"

2. Barking in rapid strings of three or four with pauses in between, midrange pitch: "I suspect that there may be a problem or an intruder near our territory. I think that the leader of the pack should look into it."

3. Prolonged or incessant barking, with moderate to long intervals between each utterance: "Is there anybody there? I'm lonely and need companionship." This is most often the response to confinement or being left alone for long periods of time.

4. One or two sharp short barks, midrange pitch: "Hello there!" This is the most typical greeting sound.

5. Single sharp short bark, lower midrange pitch: "Stop that!" This is often given by a mother dog when disciplining her puppies but may also indicate annoyance in any dog, such as when disturbed from sleep or if hair is pulled during grooming and so forth.

6. Single sharp short bark, higher midrange: "What's this?" or "Huh?" This is a startled or surprised sound. If it is repeated two or three times its meaning changes to "Come look at this!" alerting the pack to a novel event. This same type of bark, but not quite as short and
sharp, is used to mean "Come here!" Many dogs will use this kind of bark at the door to indicate that they want to go out. Lowering the pitch to a relaxed midrange means "Terrific!" or some other similar expletive, such as "Oh, great!" My cairn terrier, for example, who loves to jump, will give this single bark of joy when sent over the high jump. Other dogs give this same bark when given their food dish.

7. Single yelp or very short high-pitched bark: "Ouch!" This is in response to a sudden, unexpected pain.

8. Series of yelps: "I'm hurting!" "I'm really scared" This is in response to severe fear and pain.

9. Stutter-bark, midrange pitch: If a dog's bark were spelled "ruff," the stutter-bark would be spelled "ar-ruff." It means "Let's play!" and is used to initiate playing behavior.

10. Rising bark: This is a bit hard to describe, although once you've heard it, it is unmistakable. It is usually a series of barks, each of which starts in the middle range but rises sharply in pitch - almost a bark-yelp, though not quite that high. It is a play bark, used during rough-and- tumble games, that shows excitement and translates as "This is fun!"

Not sure about some of them but No.2 is what our Rianna does, I've heard it so many times
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >