Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Sorry I've missed this thread Bebe!

Just want to reassure you: no, you are NOT being cruel to George. He's 14 years old, no spring chicken, and I'm sure he's a lot happier mucking around out in the garden with you nearby than with someone he doesn't know or doesn't care for. Dogs do adapt, and he knows you're not up to much right now; much more he cares about you and it would really put him out to be separated from you while you're not well.

Two of my own are desperately underwalked right now. I've had a hard winter (though after reading this thread I really can't complain) and the eldest won't be doing much in the way of walking anymore. He loves his garden putters, and Taji and Bibi have adapted to garden games-- they're both older, too, and much though as soon as it gets warm enough we'll be out like a shot they have not had a bad time of it. You'll be OK.

I hope you do find some mobility stuff that suits you! Sounds like a scooter would be ideal but my goodness are those things expensive, even secondhand. I'm wishing you good luck!
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Bebe a few years ago I tore the tendon in my knee and could hardly walk at all. My dog was used to 3+ miles a day walking and had to mange until my knee healed, it took three months.

stop beating yourself up , George is still a lot better off with you and no walk for a while that many dogs who are rarely walked at all.
Think of the lovely walks you will have after the operation...
Thanks Meg, it does kind of put it in perspective when I think of some dogs I know that dont get walked much, if at all. I hope your knee has healed well. Im so looking forward to being able to walk with no pain. Thankyou for your input
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
If a mobility scooter won't work . . . and you live in a village . . . maybe someone has an ATV you could borrow. Or for that matter, a ride-on lawn mower whose deck is shot but still drives. I don't know what sort of second hand market you have in your area . . . here it's Craigslist, in Australia it was Gumtree . . . but check the farm and garden section . . . or even put an ad in yourself saying WANTED.
Hi sandgrubber, I dont know what an ATV is to be honest lol, but there are a lot of sit-on lawn mowers around here.. And some of the farmers have quadbikes, I may ask around, but not sure if Id need a licence? Or even if Id be safe on one...i have visions of too much throttle and poor George flying through the air behind me on a flexi lead We also have gumtree here.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bebe1 View Post
Hi sandgrubber, I dont know what an ATV is to be honest lol, but there are a lot of sit-on lawn mowers around here.. And some of the farmers have quadbikes, I may ask around, but not sure if Id need a licence? Or even if Id be safe on one...i have visions of too much throttle and poor George flying through the air behind me on a flexi lead We also have gumtree here.
Hi Bebe is George used to wheelchairs etc, some dogs don't like walking next to wheels and take a while to get used to them . Chloe wouldn't walk by my granddaughters push chair.
It would be awful to get a vehicle then he refused to go near it.
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
As someone who's been there, done it and still got the crutches to prove it, realistically I feel you're just going to have to resign yourself to the fact that George is going to have to go without walks for a few weeks. The most important thing is that you follow the restrictions the surgeon places on you to ensure a speedy and safe recovery and you don't take any unnecessary risks which could result being back in hospital with complications.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in your hospital ... I was in Truro .. but a couple of weeks before I had my op I had a meeting with the physiotherapist who gave me booklets on how to walk on crutches,get in/out of bed, get dressed/undressed etc and exercises to be done several times a day. She also arranged for various gadgets/aids to be delivered to my home and gave advice about the correct heights for my bed and chairs.

Something you might not appreciate is that EVERYTHING is going to take you much longer to do than normal. Even the simple process of getting out of bed, washed and dressed is a chore when you can't bend below waist height to pull your briefs on! Hopefully it won't happen to you but my leg and foot were swollen for several weeks after which made wearing shoes uncomfortable. I can't say I felt ill but but I did feel incredibly tired all the time. Pottering around the house and in the garden I found it much easier to use a zimmer frame rather than crutches because a zimmer frame is much more stable especially on uneven ground. Mine didn't have a basket or caddy on the front which would have been useful for carrying a mug of coffee or my dinner plate from the kitchen to my chair in the lounge. Zimmer frames are not expensive and you can get ones that fold up and go in the car.

Pleas don't feel guilty about George, if the truth be known he'll probably cope better than you do! Each time I came out of hospital, my two young dogs who normally sleep on my bed, decided to sleep on the carpet next to it instead. Dogs can be wonderfully understanding!

I can't think of anything else and apologise in advance if I come over as a Job's Comforter!
Chlosmum, no apologies needed, it was a very helpful and honest post and I appreciate your knowledge on this surgery, I know its a major surgery and Im comforted to hear from someone whose gone through it.

George sleeps on my bed too ( well...I sleep on HIS bed, is more like the truth. He has most of it, Im on the edge) and its quite high so I have to lift him up onto it, I did wonder how that was going to work after surgery. He does have his own bed next to mine but never uses it, he will have to after surgery though. Im hoping, like your dogs, he will know Im not a 100% well and will just settle in his own bed beside me. It will be nice to have a bit of space in my own bed for once lol.
The tiredness you mentioned isnt something Id considered, so Im glad you pointed it out to me. I will be having a pre-op meeting at the hospital so will talk about equipment etc and see what they offer. If a zimmer isnt included I will buy one.

Youve given me a realistic look into how its going to be, and I think its going to be more of a struggle than I realise, but Im glad you pointed these things out. I really think I was expecting too much, thinking I,ll be walking George a few weeks after the surgery. Thanks for such a straight post, and for all your support and advice. Im starting to get my head around the fact that A) Im not being cruel just because I cant walk George, and B) its going to be harder than I first thought but that I need to do it, no matter what. Thankyou again.
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Y'know I thought of a Zimmer frame, I think it may give you more stability than crutches. But I would recommend that you get the advice of your physio. What about my suggestion earlier in this thread, is there anyone who could take you and George out in their car to the park?
Hi Popster, definitely going to try to get a zimmer frame , I think Id feel more secure. I dont know how soon Id be able to travel in a car to be honest, because of the 90 degree rule, but I will ask at my pre-op assessment maybe after a few weeks it might be a good option though? . Thankyou for the suggestion.
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Sorry I've missed this thread Bebe!

Just want to reassure you: no, you are NOT being cruel to George. He's 14 years old, no spring chicken, and I'm sure he's a lot happier mucking around out in the garden with you nearby than with someone he doesn't know or doesn't care for. Dogs do adapt, and he knows you're not up to much right now; much more he cares about you and it would really put him out to be separated from you while you're not well.

Two of my own are desperately underwalked right now. I've had a hard winter (though after reading this thread I really can't complain) and the eldest won't be doing much in the way of walking anymore. He loves his garden putters, and Taji and Bibi have adapted to garden games-- they're both older, too, and much though as soon as it gets warm enough we'll be out like a shot they have not had a bad time of it. You'll be OK.

I hope you do find some mobility stuff that suits you! Sounds like a scooter would be ideal but my goodness are those things expensive, even secondhand. I'm wishing you good luck!
Strangechilde, thanks for reassuring me that Im not being cruel. Thats been the biggest stumbling block for me, the guilt of not being able to walk George, but Im slowly getting better re that. Yep the scooters are SO expensive! And have so many rules that I didnt even realise existed!
Its a pity its not snowy, Id let him pull me along on ski's but im sure theres a solution out there somewhere.

Everyone, you have all been so kind and helpful, thankyou all so much! People who dont own and love dogs simply dont understand why im so concerned about all this. Its nice to have the support of like-minded people and im grateful to you all for your input and willingness to try to find a solution for me. X
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Bebe is George used to wheelchairs etc, some dogs don't like walking next to wheels and take a while to get used to them . Chloe wouldn't walk by my granddaughters push chair.
It would be awful to get a vehicle then he refused to go near it.
No, he doesnt like pushchairs at all Thats why im trying to get this sorted with plenty of time to work with him, if i go down that route. The surgery is june 15th so if i get something in place soon, i can slowly introduce him to it. He didnt even like my nieces dollies pushchair, so its going to be a bit of work getting him to walk next to either a scooter or wheelchair, but i think as long as i go slowly and dont push him, he might gradually adjust. I may not even get one yet anyway, so we will see. Im sure its all going to be ok, one way or another. Thats what im trying to tell myself anyway, lol, because im making it such a worry im even dreaming of it! Im going to be more positive that, somehow, all will come good
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm sure you can do it, Bebe! Keep it positive, lots of treats, and even the most ghastly, horrible pushchair can become a welcome addition to George's life. Perhaps you could rope in some friends or neighbours who use mobility assistance to help you get George used to the idea. I live in an urban environment so I've always wanted my dogs to be cool with wheelchairs and scooters and prams. You might be surprised how many people are happy to let a dog come up and investigate their chair if you ask them. There's even this one guy who lives near me-- he uses a scooter and he has pocketfuls of treats. Dogs see him coming and it's like Christmas. It's all good, so keep thinking positive. You don't need to be wasting valuable energy on worrying! I'm wishing you all the best for your surgery!
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

24-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi all.
My George went to Rainbow bridge tonight . It all happened so suddenly. Had a lovely walk with him this eve, was his normal mad self. Then popped down mums for a few hours, leaving back door open so George could go out. When I got home he was collapsed in the garden. Conscious but not really "aware" & his eyes looked odd. i couldnt get him up so my Daughter & boyfriend came, we rang emergency vets and took him straight in. By this time he was semi conscious. The vet knew straight away what it was because his stomach was swollen and his gums were white. He said it was a silent, fast acting cancer caused Hemangiosarcoma, and that he could tell Georges spleen had erupted and was having a large internal bleed.

He went to set up the scanner to double-check but George suddenly took a real turn for the worse, trouble breathing, and the vet said waiting for the scanner set-up would take around 30 minutes, and that in his opinion George was dying, bleeding to death, and advised we didn't even scan, just stopped his suffering. So we did.

To say Im heartbroken is an understatement. Im in bed now, his bed is next to mine, and I cant stop crying. This dog was the love of my life. My shadow, my soulmate, my everything.

How can this have happened so quickly? Running around chasing deer, dead 3 hours later. Im in bits, devastated.

R.i.p my special, funny, gentle, mad boy. There will never be another dog like you. i love you George. My life will never be the same again.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >