Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I have an idea Why not have a look online.see if you can get a reasonably priced wheelchair.People sell everything on Gumtree and other buy and sell sites That way,you could go along on the walks with the kind people who offered to help.I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking you too.You could hold the leash and your dog will happily trot along beside you.Just a thought
Or maybe ask at the hospital.explain you're not great on the crutches and they might have one available,its worth a go.
Thanks Lacey. I did consider that actually. The only problem is that the village is only one street, and the pavement narrows to almost nothing in parts. A lot of the paths here are bridleways with styes, its on the Cotswold Way, or fields, so I would need a 4 wheel drive wheelchair so I dont think a wheelchair would be very practical. Maybe I could hire a quadbike
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Eileen the BritishRedCross have a short term loan scheme for wheelchairs (and other things) I have used them in the past and found the service excellent..

http://www.redcross.org.uk/en/What-w.../Mobility-aids
I will have a look at the link thanks Meg. There might be something helpful there, thankyou.

I was talking to a dog owner friend this evening and she said it was definitely cruel for George to not be walked for weeks, she made me feel terrible to be honest Well, I felt terrible anyway, but she did make me feel worse. I asked what she would do in my position and she said she would either kennel him because at least he would be having stimulation, or she would wait until I no longer had him, postpone surgery. She kind of hinted that he was old and probably in the last year of his life, so I wouldn't have to wait too long to have the surgery if I postponed. i feel awful.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bebe1 View Post
I will have a look at the link thanks Meg. There might be something helpful there, thankyou.

I was talking to a dog owner friend this evening and she said it was definitely cruel for George to not be walked for weeks, she made me feel terrible to be honest Well, I felt terrible anyway, but she did make me feel worse. I asked what she would do in my position and she said she would either kennel him because at least he would be having stimulation, or she would wait until I no longer had him, postpone surgery. She kind of hinted that he was old and probably in the last year of his life, so I wouldn't have to wait too long to have the surgery if I postponed. i feel awful.
Bebe I think he will be fine and much better with you than in a kennel . Please don't postpone your surgery.

You say he doesn't like throwing games, what about putting his dinner in a kong to eat in the garden, that should keep him happy for a while.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2015, 11:18 PM
I really feel for you. I dont have holidays because I dont like leaving my pets .

Please dont delay your surgery! i really think that george will adjust to not being walked fora few weeks.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Hmm, Bebe, this so called dog walking friend doesn't exactly seem very 'friendly' to me. Do NOT let her make you feel like this. I think the idea of getting a 'genuine' friend to accompany you on walks and to take charge of the lead prior to the OP is good, at least worth a try. Failing that the Quad bike is the way to go lol
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2015, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Bebe1 View Post
I was talking to a dog owner friend this evening and she said it was definitely cruel for George to not be walked for weeks, she made me feel terrible to be honest
She kind of hinted that he was old and probably in the last year of his life, so I wouldn't have to wait too long to have the surgery if I postponed. i feel awful.
With friends like this who needs enemies! How horrible, I really feel for you but needs must and as with everyone else I totally agree that you need the surgery ASAP, and George will be much happier at home with you around than in a strange kennel with strange staff and surrounded by barking dogs, especially at his age and never been in kennels before.

Yes in a perfect warm he would have his usual walks everyday, but in a perfect world you wouldn't need a hip replacement and he would be willing to go for walks with family and friends.
I think working with him with a friend or two to get him to walk with them before your operation. If he doesn't get comfortable enough don't worry yourself. Have someone come to give it a try every now and then. Use kongs and any other food toys, or any toys that he is interested in. Keep him as active and stimulated as you are able at home, but most of all hug him, love him and trust him to help keep your spirits high.
Shame the wheelchair option won't help, I thought that was the best idea.
Bebe1
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi all, thankyou so much for all your replies

Dobeymonkey, I must have missed your reply about your dogs shoulder injury, Im sorry, I dont want you to think I quoted others peoples posts and ignored yours. Your dobies injury sounds painful bless him, but youve given me some hope that George will adapt to no walks, thankyou!

Meg and sarahjade yes the Kong idea is also a good idea, he does have a few kongs in his toybox from when I had Tyra my staffy ( i miss her ) and although George has never shown much interest in kongs, maybe its something I can start trying to do now?

Dibbythedog, my family think Im crazy to never have had a holiday just because I wont kennel George. I was never really able to go on " dog friendly" holidays either because Tyra my staffy had so many issues and was fear aggressive plus there were days she refused to leave the house, so I didnt want to be on holiday somewhere and her have one of her agoraphobia spells in a strange place, it wouldve been even more stressful for her, so holidays were just not taken. Im glad Im not the only one

Popster and sarahjade, my friend made me feel terrible. Even more-so when she hinted that George is in his " twilight" time and may not be around much longer. This made me feel even more guilty, I started to think then that what if this IS his last few months and Im going to make his quality of life poor for those last few months by having him stuck in with no walks! I snapped out of that way of thinking though, I know hes an old boy but hes well and healthy and I think he has a lot of living to do yet, plus I know hes had a good life with me. I wont be talking with her again about it though, thats for sure

This morning I walked with one of the villagers and gave her the lead. george stopped dead. Refused to walk unless I had hold of the lead. I walked on ahead then and he did trot to follow me then. Wouldnt walk in front with her holding the lead though, or even if I was by them, only if He thought I was walking away. We will try it again though. Ive wondered if hiring a mobility scooter might work? Then I can be on the road, avoiding tiny uneven pavements, but I dont know how that would work on the bridlepaths and little tracks.

Then I wondered about some kind of belt to tie George around my waist so I will have 2 hands free for using crutches, but I dont know how safe that would be with walking after a hip replacement. Ive been told Im not going to be very strong for a while also, and George is a large strong dog, he will walk nicely and slowly but itll be a bit scary if he sees a cat or chickens or horses etc . Im brain-storming all the time lol, but I think it probably will have to come down to George not being walked. He will definitely not be walked while Im in the hospital for the week, and probably for some weeks after until I can potter on the crutches outside, so I think I have to accept that and try to stop feeling so guilty.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Bebe, I see a few people on mobility scooters with their dogs in the park. If, as you say live in a quiet area that may be a good idea. Or how about looking for a dog walker, one who has a car who could take you and George to the park. Some mobility scooters fold down so that could in the car too. Obviously this would incur costs but it means your dog could have a good run say a couple times a week?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Meg and sarahjade yes the Kong idea is also a good idea, he does have a few kongs in his toybox from when I had Tyra my staffy ( i miss her ) and although George has never shown much interest in kongs, maybe its something I can start trying to do now?
Hi Bebe yes I would say get George used to a kong now.
Nature diet is wet isn't it so ideal for a kong and to make it more smellie/ attractive a little little bit of sardine mixed in may help (in oil not brine drain and blot with kitchen roll to remove all the oil in the case of George ) freezing it will make it last longer.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Bebe, I am disabled and I have a 3/4 year old Labrador Bitch. I walk her morning and night with crutches. I am fortunate because she will walk nicely without lead although I always have one handy and then tell her to wait while I put her on lead if there are other unfriendly dogs around. Then lunchtime if the weather is good I take her out for a longer walk with a mobility scooter I bought from LLoyds Pharmacy, it cost aroundm £350 which I thought was very reasonable and it does get us out and around even though the pavements around here leave a lot to be desired. I use a long lead on the scooter. Wish you well with whatever you decide to do.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »