Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Renal Failure in Cats

I'm pretty sure my cat is showing the first signs of renal failure - increased thirst and peeing her bed at night. She's 21 in August and I know there isn't much I can do to help although I will put her on a wet diet to try and keep her hydrated (she's currently on Arden Grange kibble and has done very well on it up to now). Has anyone changed their cat onto a wet diet for this purpose and has anyone any suggestions for a good one? Thanks.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I had some food from the vet for the purpose but TBH it didn't seem to help, once kidneys are gone it is pretty impossible to do much.

Sorry.

rune
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Being a multi cat owner I agree with Rune, not much you can do, changing her to wet food will not stop her drinking more and more as the kidneys are not functioning right, she will still need to drink loads and will have increased thirst whatever you feed her. 21 is a grand old age it maybe (sorry don't mean to sound harsh) time for you to just treasure the time left with her so sorry
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I had some food from the vet for the purpose but TBH it didn't seem to help, once kidneys are gone it is pretty impossible to do much.

Sorry.

rune
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Being a multi cat owner I agree with Rune, not much you can do, changing her to wet food will not stop her drinking more and more as the kidneys are not functioning right, she will still need to drink loads and will have increased thirst whatever you feed her. 21 is a grand old age it maybe (sorry don't mean to sound harsh) time for you to just treasure the time left with her so sorry
Thanks anyway. I realise this is the beginning of the end but, if I can do anything to ease things for her, I will. Just not my year
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
things like 'fortekor' tablets can help...has she been checked at the vets? also its not the food being moist that will help her its good quality protein and reduced phosphorous etc....
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
No, she hasn't been to the vet yet. She's only ever been twice in her long life and I don't want to upset her unless I have to. Plus, I'm trying to keep away from the vet at the moment as I think it will be too emotional after losing Milo just a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a suitable food for her although I have read that wet food does keep them hydrated better than dry kibble which is what she's on now and has been for most of her life.

She seems quite happy otherwise, still jumping up onto the table where she sleeps and eats!
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I know where your coming from re not taking her to the vet, my 18 year old cat Polly pee's her basket every time I have to take her. But it's really in her best interest to go, despite how you feel, the last stages of renal failure can be very distressing, so it may be better to take her in now to hopefully get some treatment before things get critical and you have to make a mad dash to the emergency vets.

You can get renal diet foods from sites such as Vet Uk, both wet and dry, my cat prefers Royal Canine to Hills, and I have heard from others that RC is usually more palatable.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I found this very useful website, with a handy run down of cat foods both wet and dry in the UK

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I found this very useful website, with a handy run down of cat foods both wet and dry in the UK

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm
Thank you!