Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Health testing

We all know how important health testing is, and to buy from health tested stock (where applicable).

However, just how far do the tests go to ensuring you have a healthy, problem-free pup? For example, I know that both GSDs and BCs should ideally be hip-scored and only bred from if both have scores under the average. But even when this is done, it doesn't always produce pups free from HD. Does anyone know if it even gives a better chance of having a pup free from HD if the parents are scored?

Has anyone bought (or will admit on here to buying )a pup from untested parents and had a problem/had no problems? Would you do the same again?

From my own experience, I have always bought GSD pups from breeders who hip and elbow (now it is available) score and haemophilia test. However, my (and hubby's) collie pups have come from eye tested ISDS reg parents, but whose parents have not all been hipscored - as the ISDS only stipulate the eye test and no hipscoring (yet at least).

So far there have been no problems with hips or eyes in any of the dogs we have. As many will know, I lost one of my young (5 years old) collie's to congestive heart failure in January However, would a test on the parents have prevented something such as this, or was it just bad luck?

To conclude, I am all for health testing when it has an impact on the pups produced and their health and longevity, but wonder how far the current tests go and whether further testing should/could be done (and, more controversially, whether some of the testing done is actually irrelevant?).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:34 AM
The only working untested dogs I have known into old age have been foxhounds---and they go on for ever usually and are very healthy. Of course that is only the ones that have been sent back to puppy walkers or otherwise aquired.

I have known health tested GSD's throw up a bad HD pup and although Celts parents were tested for more or less everything he has managed to invent a lot more!

I still think it is a bit of a lottery and personally would rather go for a working line that was tested ---but if I couldn't find one I'd go for untested but I am in a minority!

I think sometimes it is overdone.

rune
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm all for health testing Kirsty, but have to admit that I have purchased pups from low scoring parents and had two that were higher than I would want, even though their movement belied it, one of my English girls was something like 24:25!! I lived in a bungalow at that time so I knew it wasn't anything I had done...her litter sister was something like 4:4

I've only had breeds that needed hip scoring so can't comment on eye testing etc., but I have heard of spaniels from tested parents going on to develop problems.

I suppose, as a breeder, one can only do their best and breed from dogs/bitches that have been tested as a way to try and prevent these inherited diseases/problems.

If we weren't supposed to hip score the English Setters I would certainly go by movement to make my own decision as to whether the hips were any good, but from my own experience, you simply cannot always tell from this alone.

In some breeds that have other problems, then putting two carriers together is a lethal combination, so those tests must be worthwhile, but I do wonder if the hips are a fail safe option...I just so wish there was an easier way of testing for the hips, it would certainly have saved me from my current dilemma
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 11:06 AM
The only pup I have brought from untested parent was Tassle - I did not know much about it then.

The other 2 pups I have brought are from health tested parents and the next one will be. If I was setting out to buy a dog I wanted - I would be looking for health testing on parents - if it just turned up and needed a home - I would not be worried.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I bought Starsky from non tested parents, I fell for the old 'our dogs run miles every day,we would know if there were problems ). He was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia at 8 months old.

Although after his op, he went on to live a full life, his legs did give way in the end and I would never buy from non tested parents again.

Also, you can get a dog that ends up with good hips from 2 high scoring parents, but that dog will still carry the genes, so I would want to see all the line. And also, I like to see what scores the dam/sire has produced before.

I believe that HD is genetic (in that dogs are predisposed to it) and then environmental factors (being overweight/ excess stress on joints when growing) can make it worse.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 11:18 AM
This is someting of a problem for me. I'm all for hip scoring, but in my breed finding a suitable hip scored stud is nigh on impossible. My next option is to find a dog which appears to be sound and maybe has some hip scored relatives that are low scoring. My hope is that in 10/20 years time all the breeding stock for EMD in the UK are scored, but around 90% aren't and the rest either score very high, are of poor type or have temperament issues. My first litter will therfore be from a tested dam and an untested sire. After which hopefully all my breeding stock will be tested.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I didn't know any better then but my two oldest dogs (now 9 and 13) were farm-bred collies and have so far been fine. The next one was eye tested but not hip scored and, again, no problems there. The two younger ones are from health tested parents and I would definitely go down that road again as it does give you some peace of mind.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Maces dam was tested for nothing, his dad was hip scored over breed avarge.
NO health problems with him at present although still young - I do plan on getting him hip scored, for no other reason than I would like to know.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Health test are simply a tool that breeder can use to do the best they can by the pups they are breeding.

The fact a breeder does the recommended tests voluntarily tells you a bit about the breeder. It does not tell you the whole story as there is more to breeding healthy pups than just tests.

If the tests are DNA tests they will tell you if the dog is affected, carrier or clear.
If it is an eye test, it will only tell you if the parents are affected not if they are a carrier or not.
So someone who does all the tests can still produce pups with some health issues, even with the best will in the world.

Its what they then do about it that tells breeders apart.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I bought Flint at 4months old from a farmer who quite simply didnt want him..therefore I have no idea of parentage other than they are working collies.
Simba was a farm puppy...no tests that I know of...I know rather short sighted but hes got no problems as of yet *crosses fingers*

Gemmas parents are both house pets ISDS reg. tested, so hopfully she will be problem free.

I think I will try and buy puppies..if I have anymore [lol] from checked parents, but its not my number 1 priority..I know I may get shot down for that. But I feel that temprement of both parents is a huge thing to consider..I think id rather buy a pup which has lovely friendly parents than from someone who has tested parents that arent as friendly...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >